PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Rebuild Intermittent View of Progress

Its going about the way I thought it would. We have better talent on offense this year so that should be better. Should be faster on defense but we lost some good talent. New system and new coaches make me a little nervous though.

Last edited:
Is the rebuild proceeding on track or are we looking at a very long process.
In my view the rebuild is successful when we can honestly say at the start of the season that the Patriots are one of the top 10 teams and a legitimate super bowl contender.

Clearly we are not there yet, In my view you need an elite QB to be a serious SB contender. I do not think MJ is an elite QB and not sure he will ever reach that status. Great guy, great attitude...but...I would rather have Kenny Pickett to be honest with you.

If by 5 years post Brady (2024-2025 season) we reach serious SB contender status again, the rebuild has been successful. If not, that might be the time for BB to retire.
The success of the rebuild has nothing to do with “what we can say before the year” it has everything to do with what they do on the field.

Last year they were the 1 seed with a month left. They were 1 game behind the division winner. They were a “serious contender” last year but didn’t win out. (Only 1 contender does). Year 2 was a huge success on a rebuild scale.
There is not a very big step forward needed to finish as a SB contender.

But that will be determined on the field not in someone’s mind.

BB is now going to be 70 this season.

Where he stands:

Belichick: 321-156-0 (including playoffs)
Shula: 347-173-6 (including playoffs)

He needs to go 26-17-6 in the next 49 games. With the 17 game schedule, he will coach 51 games in the next 3 seasons at minimum. I can see him winning 26/49 (53%) or 9 wins a year on average (the dude went 7-9 with Cam Newton!).

So, it will take 3 seasons at least...but if we have a great 2023...and finish with 12 wins...then make a SB run...(lose in the SB)...that is 14 wins right there...plus about 10 wins that I am expecting this year at minimum (we were 10-8 last year and I think we are better...notwithstanding the OL issues). That's 24 wins... but it can be done in 2 seasons if we win a playoff game this year...and win the SB next year...I'd like for Belichick to surpass Shula and rename his boat "IX Rings"...then ferry off into the Nantucket sunset!
2 12-5 seasons and 1 playoff win each year does it. No reason that can’t happen.

It looked alright for a bit once we landed Mac. But right now it looks like a clown show with the coaching. Could change but it doesn’t sound good right now. This year is looking like a back slide.

Maybe I'm putting words in somebody's mouth, but I don't think we can expect the whole two-generation domination monster that goes to the super bowl every other year. That only happened once in the history of the world game.

But, I think a successful transition would be a year-in-and-out good team that's still in playoff contention every late December, with hopes of getting into the post-season and competing. Sort of like how the Steelers, Ravens, GB, Saints, Chiefs and a few others have been over the past decade.

I think that is going to happen. Fingers crossed for this year.

It is too soon to tell, but just remember many teams take decades to recover losing their HOF QB. I look at the Bills. They just found their QB to replace Jim Kelly as a legitimate franchise QB and becoming relevant in the Super Bowl discussion after nearly three decades of looking.

I don't think the Pats will make a huge jump this year and that has to do a lot with how the AFC is stacked (although I think several of the teams people thing are contenders for the conference may disappoint). But next year is the year they should seriously contend since they will have plenty of money and looks like they may have two or three successful drafts with those players coming into their own.

When this all became official in 2020 I thought 2023 would be a fair goal to be a true contender again. the progress is good thus far but alot needs to happen in the next year or 2. In our first title run it took from 2000 until 2003 to really build a complete team. Yes the 2001 team caught fire at the end but it still needed work. we saw in 02 that despite the success in 01, that team was still one more great offseason away from becoming a complete team , which we did in 03.

Last year obviously was a big initial step. This year is tbd. We COULD see another 2002 if things go south but a small setback isn’t the end of the world. One offseason away imo, We may or may not have gotten this year… leaning towards no but hopefully still closer at least. We have tons of cap space next year if not and in position for a leap. All in all Still confident bb can get us back to a sb.

It all comes down to Mac and the offense which is struggling at a level this training camp that no one really anticipated. Mac, the O line, the scheme, the coprdinator or lack thereof.. whatever it is, if we get the offense on track then the rebuild will be on track. If not, we won't be sb contenders for some time.
One thing that is going against the team in this new era is the new competence in the division. 2 games against one of the best teams in football and 2 games against a very talented team is a big difference from our past situation.

BB is now going to be 70 this season.

Where he stands:

Belichick: 321-156-0 (including playoffs)
Shula: 347-173-6 (including playoffs)

He needs to go 26-17-6 in the next 49 games. With the 17 game schedule, he will coach 51 games in the next 3 seasons at minimum. I can see him winning 26/49 (53%) or 9 wins a year on average (the dude went 7-9 with Cam Newton!).

So, it will take 3 seasons at least...but if we have a great 2023...and finish with 12 wins...then make a SB run...(lose in the SB)...that is 14 wins right there...plus about 10 wins that I am expecting this year at minimum (we were 10-8 last year and I think we are better...notwithstanding the OL issues). That's 24 wins... but it can be done in 2 seasons if we win a playoff game this year...and win the SB next year...I'd like for Belichick to surpass Shula and rename his boat "IX Rings"...then ferry off into the Nantucket sunset!

He can easily win 9 games a year for the next 3 seasons…Bill is going for the record.

Based on preseason.
No, just based on competition around the AFC. They have the Bills and Dolphins in their own division to worry about. The entire AFC West could make the playoffs. Then you have Bengals and Ravens in the North and someone winning the AFC South.

No, just based on competition around the AFC. They have the Bills and Dolphins in their own division to worry about. The entire AFC West could make the playoffs. Then you have Bengals and Ravens in the North and someone winning the AFC South.
so, top 10 out of 16, and a playoff contender

Is the rebuild proceeding on track or are we looking at a very long process.
In my view the rebuild is successful when we can honestly say at the start of the season that the Patriots are one of the top 10 teams and a legitimate super bowl contender.

Clearly we are not there yet, In my view you need an elite QB to be a serious SB contender. I do not think MJ is an elite QB and not sure he will ever reach that status. Great guy, great attitude...but...I would rather have Kenny Pickett to be honest with you.

If by 5 years post Brady (2024-2025 season) we reach serious SB contender status again, the rebuild has been successful. If not, that might be the time for BB to retire.
Have we forgotten how hard it is to win games in the NFL? Dream teams don't win, teams win. I just hope for a competitive team and with some favorable calls, few injuries, and good coaching we might get to the Super Bowl again.

By the way, I still haven't forgiven your namesake for going out of bounds in the Raiders game.

Have we forgotten how hard it is to win games in the NFL? Dream teams don't win, teams win. I just hope for a competitive team and with some favorable calls, few injuries, and good coaching we might get to the Super Bowl again.

By the way, I still haven't forgiven your namesake for going out of bounds in the Raiders game.
A “dream team” has won two years in a row.

It looked alright for a bit once we landed Mac. But right now it looks like a clown show with the coaching. Could change but it doesn’t sound good right now. This year is looking like a back slide.
They haven’t played a game.

We just have to get used to not being contenders on paper. When a HOF QB leaves it takes a while to be relevant again.So far looks like we landed a franchise QB and the past 2 drafts have been okay to good. As far as this season goes it doesn't look good with what reports have come out of camp, but we should at least give it 4 to 6 games before declaring the season lost.

Kenny "I've NEVER done an f'n thing, or even played a real game" Pickett?

"Pack it up, season's OVER everyone!"
Roflmao

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back