PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats re-sign Hunter Henry

I wanted Noah Fant too but we don't know the price or even if he would sign in NE
The tight end options were slim to none. If hunter left ya had Fant and Gerald Everett
9 mil a year ain't bad

Lol why the hell is everyone so worried about Pharaoh Brown?
It was just a thought. My guess is that he would be TE3 , can block etc so no need to search for a replacement that is new to the team. Then a TE to back up HH would be required possibly from FA.

Doing the right things so far. Keep going wolf.

So much for being far apart. It’s funny season ya’ll. Interesting that they resigned him imo. He doesn’t block very well and I was anticipating going with someone a bit more athletic. As long as they didn’t overpay I’m good with it. He’s a solid player for us. Kinda squashes the whole we can’t resign our own guys bs that goes around.View attachment 56875
It wasn't so much that they couldn't resign their own guys it was that they wouldn't. But that was yesterday and yesterday's gone. I like that Hunter Henry's back and I don't care what he's making.

It's a fair deal, money seems right, but what I'm happy about is:
1) he wanted to come back and play for the new regime despite how pathetic we were last year
2) the front office is doing its job and being proactive

"Mayo, Mayo, ooohhh baaaaby don't let Pharoah go!"

I'm good with it. Henry was a good player last year but in a really bad offense. If he's your best offensive weapon, you're in trouble. If he's your third best? That's pretty good.

Bring back Brown so you've got one blocking and one receiving tight end on the roster, then draft a kid in the 4th or later to compete for the #2 snaps and develop for future years.

IMO, Henry wasn’t just the best TE left on the market, with the possible exceptions of Ridley, he was the best pass-catcher left.

Maybe Fant, but it’s close.

Seems like a very fair deal to fill a position of need and provide vet stability.

Fant has a higher ceiling, but also a way lower floor. I'd rather we go with the safe move here in this case. The new QB needs stability
You're argument is sound.

I guess they weren't too "far apart". Can't really argue with bringing him back.

Well seems like we overpaid somewhat but the tight end options were pretty slim.
I would have went after Ridley instead with Henry's offer included I'm meh about this deal.

This is about right to me, good value.

I am guessing Henry wanted more, but once he saw that Schultz, who is the superior and younger player, got $13M per year, he had to adjust his expectations. Around $9M per year with the chance at $10M per year max value seems very fair.

Henry has been a great receiver for the Patriots and a very good locker room leader. His blocking is not elite, but it's not horrid. I think returning Henry + Pharaoh Brown and maybe kicking the tires on one more young free agent with upside like Noah Fant or Harrison Bryant would be a good plan. Lets them not have to worry about TE in the draft.
Maybe they feel Mac was holding him back.

We're all just guessing obviously, we'll have to wait for the final details to come out. But his last deal with the Chargers was 10.6M per year, his deal with the Patriots was 12.5... I seriously doubt with an exploding salary cap and him being one of the best FA TE's on the market he accepted a huge pay cut. Not likely...
? What? The terms are known. What Rapoport posted is likely fed to him by the agent, which is usually inflated to favor the player. Whatever the real terms are, they’re almost always less. So I really see no way that we can think Henry got more than $9M AAV.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back