PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats re-sign Donte Stallworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be surprised if stallworth has any passes thrown his way....if Lloyd gets one target all game vs Miami how is stallworth going to be a factor...

need 1 or two plays from him a game now

Just what we always assumed - Stallworth, Branch and Gaffney (when eligible and healthy) would all be Shadow Roster players signed if and when needed given injuries.

I don't follow other teams closely enough to know if other coaches plan this out as effectively as Belichick does each year by bringing in the guys to camp that he does

Ideally one never needs it and everyone remains healthy - but as we all know that's very rare.

Just what we always assumed - Stallworth, Branch and Gaffney (when eligible and healthy) would all be Shadow Roster players signed if and when needed given injuries.

I don't follow other teams closely enough to know if other coaches plan this out as effectively as Belichick does each year by bringing in the guys to camp that he does

Ideally one never needs it and everyone remains healthy - but as we all know that's very rare.

Very good point. He has a list of players that didn't have enough to make the roster but could contribute when/if there are injuries. This is why Bill is the best in the business.

Credit BB for at least being proactive in addressing our needs. Donte might not be a 40 catch 800 yd guy, but I'll take it over anything else thats out there.

People love Stallworth, but he's never really been a good WR. He's living off an entirely undeserved deep threat reputation.

That may be true but it's week 13 and the Pats have two healthy receivers on the roster, what are the better options?

I don't understand the people calling Stallworth washed up but in the same breath pining for Branch or Gaffney (who are both injured anyway). To me there all one in the same, except Stallworth may still have some speed left whereas Branch definitely does not and gets zero seperation.

Rivera would seem a likely candidate to be released.

Or Niko Koutouvides, the flying Greek. Belichick has to be kicking himself that he doesn't have a Ventrone nearby when he needs one.

...I don't understand the people calling Stallworth washed up but in the same breath pining for Branch or Gaffney (who are both injured anyway). To me there all one in the same, except Stallworth may still have some speed left whereas Branch definitely does not and gets zero seperation.

Branch and Gaffney have both been much better players than Stallworth in recent years. Stallworth has 41 total catches from 2008-today.

Branch and Gaffney have both been much better players than Stallworth in recent years. Stallworth has 41 total catches from 2008-today.

What any of them did in previous years doesn't mean a damn thing this year. Both Branch and Gaffney have been released multiple times this year, Gaffney by three different teams, that's pretty telling. When the legs go, you're pretty much done as a receiver.

My opinion aside, they're both supposedly hurt anyway so signing them wouldn't make much sense. People are upset because we signed one washed up old guy at the expense of other washed up old guys who happen to be injured.

It's week 13, they have two healthy receivers, he's not injured and he's available. Was there all this fuss when they signed Derrick Martin or Mitch Petrus to the active roster?

Last edited:
Brady can make mediocre look good. Stallworth has some special teams potential. He is a decent downfield blocker for the new and improved run game.

Get healthy Edelman and Branch...

i see a few catches for him monday night

Don't really see him making an impact but, he's a good guy and hopefully it works out. Is he a good run blocker?

No question. And while his 47 catches for the Pats in 2007 weren't bad, there was no way the Pats were going to keep him with a $6 million price tag in Year 2 when Moss had proven he was the better player.

Now obviously Stallworth has had a string of bad luck since then - in injuries and incarceration alone - and hasn't exactly had ample opportunities to show what he can do when healthy and not under house arrest.

But in those fleeting moments when he's been healthy and had a chance to show how much is left in the tank, he's not done much.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say I hope he proves all the naysayers wrong - but this is probably is last chance to show he can contribute - a very tall order for a guy stepping back into the game, even with some familiarity with Brady and the system.

But between Stallworth, Branch and Gaffney (who I think is still ineligible - with Branch still injured with a hammy I think) Stallworth is the best option and may even get some reps to go long, draw coverage, and perhaps give Lloyd a better opportunity to make some deep catches.

I think between now and the playoffs, it's in the team's interest to showcase Brandon Lloyd as a dangerous weapon. If Stallworth has any speed left at all, at the very least perhaps that will stretch defenses and give Lloyd a better chance to make some catches.

That's my hope anyway.

Just as Gruden's ball washing Doughty the replay shows he didn't make the play, Gruden goes silent, lol.

Just as Gruden's ball washing Doughty the replay shows he didn't make the play, Gruden goes silent, lol.

try the Monday Night thread...

This would seem to indicate that Edelman's out, or at least highly questionable. It also would seem to mean that either Branch is still bothered by injury or the team thinks he's completely cooked. Mo's post seems to indicate that it's about Branch still not being quite ready.

Best of luck Donte, and get well soon Deion and Julian.

Stallworth is stronger and more physical overall than Branch. Probably a hair faster, too. Branch is the better intermediate route runner.

And to think we had 295 WRs during training camp...

they could trade a 2014 conditional for Salas from the eagles? That would be kind of funny,.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back