PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats interested in Saints WR Brandin Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have your receiving corps busting their ass off, being underpaid, trusting the culture of this locker room and them you bring and outsider to make more money and seat in the drivers seat? That doesn't work in any working environment, BB is not stupid to do that, specially with other Free agents on the line to get their pay day.
As much as I DON'T want the Pats to make this trade, the fact is money is NOT going to be an issue in the short run. The Pats would have him under control for an average of $5MM/yr for the next 2 years.

That being said, I believe it would be the wrong move because I think an impact defensive prospect would result in more wins than a very good WR addition to an offense who already has effective WR's.

BOTTOM LINE - Cooks is a luxury, while defensive impact players are a necessity

As much as I DON'T want the Pats to make this trade, the fact is money is NOT going to be an issue in the short run. The Pats would have him under control for an average of $5MM/yr for the next 2 years.

That being said, I believe it would be the wrong move because I think an impact defensive prospect would result in more wins than a very good WR addition to an offense who already has effective WR's.

NE does look OK at WR for next year but I still do not think they are Edelman-proof. JE got a lot of attention in the playoffs and opened a lot of stuff for other WRs. See Hogan vs the Steelers. I still think BB wants to guard vs losing JE.

BB will do what he thinks is needed to improve the team, and I do not think a leak from the Saints would necessarily ashcan a deal (not that he would not be pissed).

Give me ONE example of a trade BB has ever consummated after the other team has run to the press saying that they had rejected the Patriots first offer.

This is BB scratching the back of his friend Sean. It's patently obvious.

And Payton knows full well that the ONE thing you never do to BB in a serious negotiation is run to the press to bring them a ringside seat.

This is obviously a show.

Give me ONE example of a trade BB has ever consummated after the other team has run to the press saying that they had rejected the Patriots first offer.

This is BB scratching the back of his friend Sean. It's patently obvious.

Idk, but BB is clear-eyed and unemotional about things. And his #1 goal is to "make the team better".

The last time the New England Patriots EVER sweetened a trade deal after the other team went to the press with their rejection of the first offer was when Bob Kraft sweetened the deal to Parcells to release BB.

Idk, but BB is clear-eyed and unemotional about things. And his #1 goal is to "make the team better".

Until a player is late to a meeting.........

or the other negotiating team runs to the press to tell them they rejected his first offer.......

He IS clear eyed and unemotional and he has his rules.

The offer was never serious - - he is playing show pony for his friend Sean Payton who wants some negotiating leverage with the other teams he wants to ship Cooks to.....just like BB is doing the HC of the Longhorns a favor next month after the NCAA recently ruled HS coaches cannot speak at the U of T annual event.

It's a network......

And BB adapts his rules. Revis was sent home for the day. Jonas Gray was sent to collect unemployment.

NE does look OK at WR for next year but I still do not think they are Edelman-proof. JE got a lot of attention in the playoffs and opened a lot of stuff for other WRs. See Hogan vs the Steelers. I still think BB wants to guard vs losing JE.

Brady set a record going 43 for 62 for 466 yards in the SB - - only 5 of those catches were to Edelman.

This is as deep a pass catching corps than they have had in many years....and they STILL sat Floyd for that game.

And BB adapts his rules. Revis was sent home for the day. Jonas Gray was sent to collect unemployment.

They both received the very same penalty.

You are leaving out 2 salient facts from that funny analogy:

1) Revis was far better at his position than Gray was and Gray never started another game in the NFL anywhere - 31 other teams had their shot at him. Only two took him at low momney and never handed over the reins to him.

2) The Patriots had just had LeGarrette Blount fall into their lap that week after he walked out on Tomlin in the middle of a game.

Other than that, bormio, the situations are exactly alike....

Last edited:
Edelman still makes the passing game go - teams game plan him and Gronk first. No JE - we seriously might have not beaten the Texans.

Cooks is a phenomenal receiver. He would easily be worth more than the 32nd pick in the draft. I don't even know why people think he wouldn't be awesome herein NE.

If he was available at 32, the Pats would grab him, of course. But that means 5 years of control on the cheap.

I don't think two years of 5m/per is worth the #32 straight up.

We're also talking about the two most expensive years of those five years.

Doesn't mean they won't trade for him, even including the #32, but they'll get back more than just Cooks, I bet.

If they trade Garrapolo they can have the best of both worlds imo, but I definitely agree that defense should be their offseason priority. The only offensive prospect I have as a first round pick for them is O.J. Howard, and that's because getting top TE's is so hard to do.

Much as I like Cooks there is still a strong possibility Belichick floated this to help Payton drive the price up, otherwise it would be surprising because by going public other teams get in on the bidding, which they would obviously like to limit.

I was reading the Saints Forums and they are so clueless. Here are some quotes:

"Think we can get butler out of the deal with pats"

"Yea, we need Ryan/Butler with that pick too."

"32rd AND Garropolo"

Silly saints fans think their loud mouth WR is worth all that lol.

Patriots offered #32 for Cooks - New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards

Sorry, but that's no different than what we do here, and I'll happily include myself in that.

That said Garrapolo for Houston's first and JJ Watt.

Much as I like Cooks there is still a strong possibility Belichick floated this to help Payton drive the price up, otherwise it would be surprising because by going public other teams get in on the bidding, which they would obviously like to limit.

Yup, pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore