Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Memphis style

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • RLKAG

Votes: 24 54.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd be a great transitional/mentoring option if they draft a young qb, as they almost certainly will do at some point in the draft. He's good enough to help the team build some momentum over a year or so, but not so desirable a player at this point that he'll cost and arm and a leg. To my eye, he sort of hits the sweet spot. (Is that a mixed metaphor I see there?)

He'd be a great transitional/mentoring option if they draft a young qb, as they almost certainly will do at some point in the draft. He's good enough to help the team build some momentum over a year or so, but not so desirable a player at this point that he'll cost and arm and a leg. To my eye, he sort of hits the sweet spot. (Is that a mixed metaphor I see there?)
I expect us to try sign either Brissette or Flacco. My preference is Brissette. Ha can start and be a solid #2 for a couple of years, but I am alos fine with Flacco.

How about we fix our mistake and take the guy BB wanted to take in the 3rd round instead of Mac.
What? Lol, you guys always trying to re-write history.

Bill asks everyone: "You good with this?"
Bill says: "Yup, I'm good with it."

Bill's fixer makes the call to Mac.

Mac Jones was 100% Bill's pick. Most everyone here thought it was a genius move, that he fell to the Patriots.

I thought about this on and off today. Why some of you are worried about how much a QB might cost and bring in Jacoby. Why do some of you aim so low and worry about the “money” or cost to the team? For crying out loud, Russel Wilson is an option. Ryan Fing Tannehill is a better option (and I LAUGHED at Titans fans when they resigned him to that contract) Brissett?? I mean are you kidding me? There are available QBs that have been starting QBs….why the hell would you be ok with Brissett?? I don’t get it.

Also, I under stand the “bridge” QB theory, so stop it. There’s FAR better available “bridge” QBs. AIM higher
On your FAR better "bridge" QBs. Who would you pick?

PFF List of QB UFA (not cut):

FA
Rank# QB (Age) PFF Grade
#2 Kirk Cousins (35.5) 86.1
#45 Baker Mayfield (28.9) 77.2
#70 Ryan Tannehill (35.6) 68.7
#92 Gardner Minshew (28.1) 62.0
#128 Jacoby Brissett (31.2) 84.6
#133 Jameis Winston (30.1) 56.3
#158 Tyrod Taylor (34.5) 71.4
#160 Sam Darnold (26.7) 66.0
#161 Drew Lock (27.3) 61.3
#174 Tyler Huntley (26.0) 63.8
#204 Joshua Dobbs (29.1) 65.9
#210 Mason Rudolph (28.6) 64.8

Others: Mariota (31), Flacco (39), Sudfeld (31), Gabbert (35), Wentz (32), etc.

I agree w/ top 5 on this list. Cousins is by far the best QB, but not a "bridge." Neither is Mayfield. They're both QB1s.

That leaves Tannehill, Minshew and Brissett. Flacco is too old and not mentor type. All of these are affordable and meet "bridge" definition.

To me, Brissett seems the logical option because:
1. Familiar w/ AvP scheme
2. Still young
3. Good character, mentor type
4. 2nd highest PFF grade in the list.

Neither Tannehill or Minshew meet all of the above criteria, though Minshew is an interesting option. I'm good with Jacoby.

Now, if they sign Baker, we know they're not picking QB w/ #3.

The dumb thing is if you care about cost, Brissett is so negligible compared to the much cheaper options you already have on your team that it doesn't even make sense.
Brissett is 1000% better than what they have on the team.

I would take Minshew ... don't want to win too many games ... is competent ...
Maybe we win 6 is okay ... I think he could survive the growth of our OL ... i.e. not get killed.

On your FAR better "bridge" QBs. Who would you pick?

PFF List of QB UFA (not cut):

FA
Rank# QB (Age) PFF Grade
#2 Kirk Cousins (35.5) 86.1
#45 Baker Mayfield (28.9) 77.2
#70 Ryan Tannehill (35.6) 68.7
#92 Gardner Minshew (28.1) 62.0
#128 Jacoby Brissett (31.2) 84.6
#133 Jameis Winston (30.1) 56.3
#158 Tyrod Taylor (34.5) 71.4
#160 Sam Darnold (26.7) 66.0
#161 Drew Lock (27.3) 61.3
#174 Tyler Huntley (26.0) 63.8
#204 Joshua Dobbs (29.1) 65.9
#210 Mason Rudolph (28.6) 64.8

Others: Mariota (31), Flacco (39), Sudfeld (31), Gabbert (35), Wentz (32), etc.

I agree w/ top 5 on this list. Cousins is by far the best QB, but not a "bridge." Neither is Mayfield. They're both QB1s.

That leaves Tannehill, Minshew and Brissett. Flacco is too old and not mentor type. All of these are affordable and meet "bridge" definition.

To me, Brissett seems the logical option because:
1. Familiar w/ AvP scheme
2. Still young
3. Good character, mentor type
4. 2nd highest PFF grade in the list.

Neither Tannehill or Minshew meet all of the above criteria, though Minshew is an interesting option. I'm good with Jacoby.

Now, if they sign Baker, we know they're not picking QB w/ #3.
Agreed, (personally I like Wilson). But I'm fine with Brissett. Mason Rudolph might actually be worse than Bailey Jones. Also Brissett was drafted here, so the organization knows him well. Yeah.. Brissett makes the most logical sense.

I expect us to try sign either Brissette or Flacco. My preference is Brissette. Ha can start and be a solid #2 for a couple of years, but I am alos fine with Flacco.
I'd be hard pressed to say precisely why - maybe it's simply a matter of familiarities: Mine with Brisset, his with "the Patriots Way" (if such still there be) - but I would also prefer Brisset. Does it really matter, though? Probably not much. Both are sort of like Harbor Freight tools, after all, you use 'em until the job is done, then set them aside, or give them to your brother in law.

Last edited:
Assuming the Pats use a high pick on QB this year, the other QB's on the roster need to help with that players development. I would love to see a QB team that includes the draftee, a veteran presence to mentor and lead the group off the field and a developmental player who is good enough to give the new guy some competition and push the veteran as the bridge starter. Leadership and a team oriented approach are very important considerations for all the QB's. The draftee will develop faster if he has attitude that he needs to earn his playing time and treats his teammates with the proper respect.

Brissette qualifies to fill the veteran role from the leadership perspective, he probably is not good enough to start for an extended period or provide the new guy the competition that he needs to develop. Based on the discussion earlier in this thread, someone like Davis Mills would be great in the third spot. He has starting experience and has been a good teammate for Stroud. In this scenario, neither Zappe nor Mac should be considered for QB3 because both were part of a toxic QB room that needs to be sterilized before infecting the new guy.

Sign him or Jimmy G. Use the 3 on MHJ and trade into the back of the 1st for a QB.

What? Lol, you guys always trying to re-write history.

Bill asks everyone: "You good with this?"
Bill says: "Yup, I'm good with it."

Bill's fixer makes the call to Mac.

Mac Jones was 100% Bill's pick. Most everyone here thought it was a genius move, that he fell to the Patriots.
It’s funny how you anti-BB guys believe everything Wicker-sham writes, until he says Brady acted like a hard-on or Kraft forced BB to draft and play Mac…. then it’s collective ignorance.

It’s funny how you anti-BB guys believe everything Wicker-sham writes, until he says Brady acted like a hard-on or Kraft forced BB to draft and play Mac…. then it’s collective ignorance.
Except we have video of Bill asking everyone if they're ok with Mac at 15, and him saying Yup, I'm ok with it. Bill's fixer asks him, you want me to get him on the phone? Kraft never says a word. It was Bill running the show as GM. Mac is gone now which further destroys your narrative. You suck at this.

Except we have video of Bill asking everyone if they're ok with Mac at 15, and him saying Yup, I'm ok with it. Bill's fixer asks him, you want me to get him on the phone? Kraft never says a word. It was Bill running the show as GM. Mac is gone now which further destroys your narrative. You suck at this.
Kraft writes the checks, Kraft said the draft was becoming a cooperative process back in 2020.

Lombardi also said back after that draft that BB wanted Davis Mills. Kraft (junior?) was clearly sticking his nose in there. What’s being reported now supports that.

Kraft writes the checks, Kraft said the draft was becoming a cooperative process back in 2020.

Lombardi also said back after that draft that BB wanted Davis Mills. Kraft (junior?) was clearly sticking his nose in there. What’s being reported now supports that.
Lombardi wasn't with the team. Was he?

We have actual video that shows w/o a doubt that it was Bill's pick. He was lauded as a genius for it: patiently waited for the most NFL ready QB in the draft to fall to him.

It's in the books.

Flacco has to be the bridge makes the most sense.
Our rookie Qb can watch him for a season or 2.

Lombardi wasn't with the team. Was he?

We have actual video that shows w/o a doubt that it was Bill's pick. He was lauded as a genius for it: patiently waited for the most NFL ready QB in the draft to fall to him.

It's in the books.
From the mouth of an avowed BB hater… sounds legit.

I'd be hard pressed to say precisely why - maybe it's simply a matter of familiarities: Mine with Brisset, his with "the Patriots Way" (if such still there be) - but I would also prefer Brisset. Does it really matter, though? Probably not much. Both are sort of like Harbor Freight tools, after all, you use 'em until the job is done, then set them aside, or give them to your brother in law.
They usually break before you can give them away.

Flacco has to be the bridge makes the most sense.
Our rookie Qb can watch him for a season or 2.
Lol, Flacco:

1. Old
2. He's a statue with no mobility
3. Throws a lot of picks
4. Was not a mentor to Lamar

Brissett:

1. Young
2. Has mobility
3. Takes care of the ball
4. Good mentor, high character

Status
Not open for further replies.