PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats' Defense - moving from ok to good, then from good to awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not too long ago the Pats were ridiculed for having a very old, very slow defense. So the past year-plus they've almost completely overhauled the D, with just a few exceptions, and now they sport one of the youngest defensive units in the entire league (last 3 weeks they've started four rookies on D: Deadrick, Cunningham, Spikes, McCourty).

First 3 games:
- ppg allowed: 27.3
- ypg allowed: 379.3
- turnovers created: 4 (1.3 per game)

Last 4 games:
- ppg allowed: 18.0
- ypg allowed: 387.5
- turnovers created: 9 (2.3 per game)

Not saying that they're a dominant unit yet, but that's some pretty good improvement. And their four opponents rank as follows, from an offensive standpoint:

- Miami (#13)
- Baltimore (#14)
- San Diego (#1)
- Minnesota (#18)

Avg rank: 11.5. So they've improved while facing pretty good offenses. It'll be interesting to see what they can do against Pittsburgh and Indianapolis. But they're young, improving, and potentially on their way to being a great defense. Let's hope!

Right now they are only ok. I wouldn't call them good yet as they are far too inconsistent. They have the potential to be awesome but they still make way too many mistakes. That comes with such a young defense.

That being said, I think they are an exciting, hard hitting and fast defense. I agree with you that eventually they will become awesome. Hopefully that transition can happen this year.

Ivan bad move. Now this thread will be infested with "realists" pointing out how much the 6-1 league leading team sucks.

let see how things go against pittsburgh and indy.

they have become a very good run-stopping defense, but they are still very suspect against the pass.

at this point, I still see manning having a field day against this defense.

The defense has definitely improved over the last few games, but I definitely wouldn't call them "awesome". They're still vulnerable to the passing game as of right now and we have a couple of very good quarterbacks coming up... one of which we're playing on the road in a tough environment. Come back and talk to me after those two contests are over.

Opposing QBs make sandwiches and check their fantasy stats while waiting for the rush. I wouldn't say awesome if they are like 30th against the pass, they are awesome at getting turnovers and that helps put up Ws.

Opposing QBs make sandwiches and check their fantasy stats while waiting for the rush. I wouldn't say awesome if they are like 30th against the pass, they are awesome at getting turnovers and that helps put up Ws.

I actually don't think that our pass rush is nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It could certainly be better (we could be generating more sacks, for one), but it's not terrible... which is what everyone seems to think.

I actually don't think that our pass rush is nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It could certainly be better (we could be generating more sacks, for one), but it's not terrible... which is what everyone seems to think.

I don't care about sacks I just don't want to see Fitzpatrick cutting up lettuce and toasting bread while waiting for a guy to get free on 3rd and 30.

But then when the rush does do good the coverage is way too passive and its an easy completion, it reminds me of Madden when the CPU blocks everything you throw at them and when you hit them they get it off for a huge gain.

You know what would be awesome? If that F'n pizza hut add stopped popping up!

The defense has definitely improved over the last few games, but I definitely wouldn't call them "awesome". They're still vulnerable to the passing game as of right now and we have a couple of very good quarterbacks coming up... one of which we're playing on the road in a tough environment. Come back and talk to me after those two contests are over.

He didn't call them awesome, he said they were good; which also could be a stretch, not quite there yet.

The point is that they are improving, and that, assuming no major injuries, they should be on the way to awesome by the end of the year.

SSDD

To me the biggest sign of improvement is they held the Vikings to 36% on third down conversions, well below the then ~50% rate they were previously allowing.

If their third down conversion rate stays in the mid-30s, good things will happen.

You know what would be awesome? If that F'n pizza hut add stopped popping up!

I agree! It's getting very annoying, but hey, it is what it is...:D

Calling our pass rush mediocre is a compliment.

On the other hand, I see other teams really struggle to put pressure on Brady, so perhaps my expectations are too high.

I think we're still at "ok", and sometimes, that's generous.

We seem to concede the 10 yard out quite a bit. And the 10 yard over the middle and the 10 yard to the back out of the backfield.

Ivan bad move. Now this thread will be infested with "realists" pointing out how much the 6-1 league leading team sucks.

I know right?! I'm sick of watching jagoffs sit and bad mouth this awesome team by saying they have room to improve or need to be more consistant! Especially that A-hole Brady and his know-nothing buddy Belichick. They seem to say the same thing every week on how we need to improve and be more consistant and stuff. GOD! Why can't they just come out and admit they are the greatest EVAR!!#!$!

In the last few games it seems like as the game goes on our D gets more effective, they "learn" the opposition's offense. Maybe it's also that we're fresher due to the young legs and depth. In the past few years we seemed to weaken in the 4th quarter, but not now. That's what impresses me most about this defense.

He didn't call them awesome, he said they were good; which also could be a stretch, not quite there yet.

The point is that they are improving, and that, assuming no major injuries, they should be on the way to awesome by the end of the year.

SSDD

Well, I said that they are moving from ok to good, and then implied that, because they're so young and improving, that hopefully they can go from good to awesome. In no way did I ever describe this unit as awesome right now. Way too far to go before we start calling them that.

But I like the recent trend, that's for sure.

This defense to me still hasnt improve like some have said.They are on the field alot and dont get many 3 and outs quickly.The back to back games against Pittsburg and Indy will tell us alot about our team.Those are superbowl contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes