PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats D: Freelancing Upfront? Willie thinks so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a 30 "slider"?
But any double digit numbers, on a BB defense, is definitely some sort of chopped meat.

Scary to a spoiled Pats fan.

I hear

:cool:

So it Is written, so let it be done. Giving up 30 is a 30slider. Then you go to 40burger.

I love Willie but how can he know there’s freelancing without knowing what defense was called, and how could he possibly know what defense was called? This smells, like he and Patricia have the same agent, and he asked Willie to do him a solid.

You don't think that there are some cases where Willie would be able to discern run gap responsibilities? I trust that Willie is not talking out of his ass on this.

So it Is written, so let it be done. Giving up 30 is a 30slider. Then you go to 40burger.

So a 40 burger and a 50 burger?

That's going to cause communication issues all over this forum. We'll probably start seeing a bunch blown posts which could derail the entire forum.

We need to think about simplifying the terminology. :D

Interesting. All AFC teams.
It's really not that interesting at all.

Out of the top 10 defenses that led in creating front four pressure last year, only ONE made the playoffs (Miami), and the list included teams like the Bears, the Rams, the Bengals, the Bills, the Eagles, the Vikings, the Cards, etc.

To reiterate: 9/10 top teams who got the most pressure rushing only 4 players did not even make the postseason. There is little, if any, correlation to generating pressure by rushing only four to actually winning football games.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Defense and Pass Pressure, 2016

Last edited:
Too many missed tackles and too many players falling down attempting to make a tackle.

Yep and seeing how they are allowing a 30 burger a game this is officially cause for serious concern.
Not meaning to pile on the Debbie Downer stuff, but what's way more concerning is the fact that we're allowing these kinds of point totals despite only turning the ball over ONCE through the first 4 games.

To me, that's a bad sign. At least with turnovers, you can point to an obvious root cause. In comparison, go to years of poorly Belichick coached defenses and examine the turnover ratios.

For instance, looking at what are normally considered to be 3 of the "poorer" defenses in the Bill Belichick era, which include 2002, 2005, and 2009, we see that the Patriots only lost to ONE team when they didn't turn the ball over when combining all 3 seasons (DEN--twice). This sample even includes the postseason games for those years.

In comparison, they've already lost twice this year without committing a single turnover, and they almost lost to HOU when committing only one. Since we can assume that they're not going to be able to continue playing perfect, turnover-free football, this bears keeping an eye on, moving forward.

Last edited:
So a 40 burger and a 50 burger?

That's going to cause communication issues all over this forum. We'll probably start seeing a bunch blown posts which could derail the entire forum.

We need to think about simplifying the terminology. :D

30 slider, 40 burger, 50 doublecheez?

Unless it's with just five guys, or you go in and out...

Not meaning to pile on the Debbie Downer stuff, but what's way more concerning is the fact that we're allowing these kinds of point totals despite only turning the ball over ONCE through the first 4 games.

To me, that's a bad sign. At least with turnovers, you can point to an obvious root cause. In comparison, go to years of poorly Belichick coached defenses and examine the turnover ratios.

For instance, looking at what are normally considered to be 3 of the "poorer" defenses in the Bill Belichick era, which include 2002, 2005, and 2009, we see that the Patriots only lost to ONE team when they didn't turn the ball over when combining all 3 seasons (DEN--twice). This sample even includes the postseason games for those years.

In comparison, they've already lost twice this year without committing a single turnover, and they almost lost to HOU when committing only one. Since we can assume that they're not going to be able to continue playing perfect, turnover-free football, this bears keeping an eye on, moving forward.
2010, 2011 and early 2012 were also porous Ds and except for VW and Mayo weren't talented but forced turnovers and managed the points allowed.

As you say these guys can't even do that and it's a big concern

I love Willie but how can he know there’s freelancing without knowing what defense was called, and how could he possibly know what defense was called? This smells, like he and Patricia have the same agent, and he asked Willie to do him a solid.
Listen to mayos podcast.
He said it's the same system, the same calls. He watches and says "oh yeah they called that".
It's not hard to look at the front 7 as the play unfolds and know that the call is when you played in the system.

PFF guys who never played football can't do that but mcginest can.
What is hard is when a corner and safety play 2 different coverages to know which played the call and which didn't.

It's like candyman, say burgers three times and this guy appears.
burgertyme-edelman-344.jpg

Last edited:
I see a lot of pressure, they just can't seem to tackle the mobile QB's. They should have had about 6 sacks against Houston.

Looks like a lack of communication to me. I still don't think its a talent issue. Which is a beacon of hope as mental errors are correctable, lack of talent is not.

2010, 2011 and early 2012 were also porous Ds and except for VW and Mayo weren't talented but forced turnovers and managed the points allowed.

As you say these guys can't even do that and it's a big concern
No, I think you may have misread my post.

I'm saying that if you take the poor 2002, 2005, and 2009 teams, we only lost to one team (Denver) when we didn't turn the ball over--in all three seasons combined, out of 21 total losses. Normally, turnovers are what do this team in, much like any team. So far, this year, we've already played mistake-free football giving up zero turnovers, and have lost twice in four games, and almost lost to HOU by only giving up one turnover. I highly doubt that there's any other team in the NFL who has already lost twice without committing a turnover. It's unheard of.

In other words, they need to get things together, because under normal circumstances, a team isn't going to go 1/4 of the season with only committing one turnover. We're lucky to be 2-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick