PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats D: Freelancing Upfront? Willie thinks so

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomPatriot

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Most of you probably already saw this but I though it bears repeating.

"In addition to the Patriots’ porous secondary, their pass-rush has been non-existent this season. They allowed Deshaun Watson and Cam Newton to move outside of the pocket with ease, allowing them to move down the field at ease. According to McGinest, lots of players are freelancing up front. He thinks their jobs will be on the line if they keep it up."

Willie McGinest lambasts Patriots defense on OMF: Players will lose jobs if they 'don't get it fixed'

Then explain how they've been the 4th best team at creating pressure rushing 4?

Then explain how they've been the 4th best team at creating pressure rushing 4?

That can be the exact consequence of free lancing. The player does something that gives him a better chance to individually make a play yet screws up the concept of the play.
We have had running QBs escape contain a lot and make plays. The pressure stats on those plays hurt rather than help the d.

Most of you probably already saw this but I though it bears repeating.

"In addition to the Patriots’ porous secondary, their pass-rush has been non-existent this season. They allowed Deshaun Watson and Cam Newton to move outside of the pocket with ease, allowing them to move down the field at ease. According to McGinest, lots of players are freelancing up front. He thinks their jobs will be on the line if they keep it up."

Willie McGinest lambasts Patriots defense on OMF: Players will lose jobs if they 'don't get it fixed'

I love Willie but how can he know there’s freelancing without knowing what defense was called, and how could he possibly know what defense was called? This smells, like he and Patricia have the same agent, and he asked Willie to do him a solid.

We all get that pressures are important as they usually correlate with bad decisions by opposing qbs that result in incompletions or possible picks. But in our case we are not doing a good job of containing the qb in the pocket allowing for big qb runs and were near the bottom of the pack with regards to sacks so were also not doing a good job of getting home on those pressures. Of those top 5 teams you listed with qb pressures we are dead last in sacks at 8 compared to the other 4 teams, 10 sacks behind Jacksonville who has a whopping 18 at this point.

Stats are for L _ _ _ _ s.
Fill in the blanks.

And yes, as I have mentioned in other threads, I agree that there is some freelancing... Ala Collins.

Heads are gonna roll, if this isn't corrected.
This is a steep hill to climb. I find it hard to believe this can be turned around.
... But if anyone can do it......

BB!!!

We all get that pressures are important as they usually correlate with bad decisions by opposing qbs that result in incompletions or possible picks. But in our case we are not doing a good job of containing the qb in the pocket allowing for big qb runs and were near the bottom of the pack with regards to sacks so were also not doing a good job of getting home on those pressures. Of those top 5 teams you listed with qb pressures we are dead last in sacks at 8 compared to the other 4 teams, 10 sacks behind Jacksonville who has a whopping 18 at this point.
This is why stats are almost useless in football. In this one a "hurry" which is very subjective and can happen when a QB has time to go through a number of progressions and throw without being bothered is the same as a strip sack

This is why stats are almost useless in football. In this one a "hurry" which is very subjective and can happen when a QB has time to go through a number of progressions and throw without being bothered is the same as a strip sack

Only stat I care about on defense is points allowed. That should be the stat that is most alarming to everyone at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back