PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats backroom let down Brady AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not knocking Belichick, he is a great coach and a great GM, he is the to ever do it, but he is not without flaw and I can see that and if I disagree with a decision I am going to voice that. Maybe I will be proven wrong, maybe I will be proven right, but that is the point of this board to discuss the positives and negatives, it cannot all be one sided and positive all the time nothing in life is like that.

The board is not one entity.
Belichick has done a tremendous job with this franchise.
It would be silly to expect that you can criticize any one of his decisions and not have someone disagree. Hell, BB would disagree because he made the decision, so clearly at the least there is gray area.
Of course your criticism is going to be met by SOMEONE who disagrees, but this is the flaw with the Deusites, since they are always negative and someone will always disagree they pretend that each individual comment represents an entire group of people. "The board" or "the homers"

If we were the Jets, then every positive comment would (rightfully) get disagreed with, which does not mean everything they do is wrong, or that every single fan disagrees with every single move.

LaFell was a #2 WR on a second seeded playoff team last year so I'm not sure how he "looks like a #4 receiver."

If he's a #4 on this team, it's because Amendola and Edelman are completely healthy and Dobson is both healthy and progressing. All of which are good things.

I think we have to judge BBs draft by where he picks. We can say Seattle and San Fran have drafted the best, but we're consistently picking between 25 - 32, and consistently we're taking impact players

This point gets dismissed way too often in my opinion.

There is no other team in the NFL that has drafted in as consistently late a position as the Patriots for the last 13 years straight.

That is going to have a very insidious and cumulatively negative drag on our ability to draft well.

I finally heard one of the NFL commentators refer to this when he stated that because of drafting so late in every draft, the Patriots are forced to take higher risks to obtain impact level players.

I dont play FF but I believe many use a kind of mock draft right? Imagine having to pick 29th. Thats a very real handicap. Now imagine drafing in the bottom 10 for 13 years in a row.

Last edited:
not getting excited about lafell, sorry. not that big of a homer.

Not really.

The question over the past few years is health not drafting ability.

I fully agree. The best personnel move the FO made this spring didn't occur in FA and didn't occur in the draft.

It was dumping Dr. Thomas Gill. How many other NFL teams lost 2 players last year to infection?

It was dumping Dr. Thomas Gill. How many other NFL teams lost 2 players last year to infection?

Tampa?

For anyone who remembers that far, did Armstead get his infection before or after the Bucs visited with the MRSA infected players?

I fully agree. The best personnel move the FO made this spring didn't occur in FA and didn't occur in the draft.

Dr Gills problem was that he misunderstood his role.

He was the Patriot staff doctor not the Patriot Doctor of Staph. :)

(... though in fairness I should acknowledge how insidious and problematic staph infections really are)

Maybe my facts are wrong, but I dont think Gill had anything to do with Armstead.

The board is not one entity.
Belichick has done a tremendous job with this franchise.
It would be silly to expect that you can criticize any one of his decisions and not have someone disagree. Hell, BB would disagree because he made the decision, so clearly at the least there is gray area.
Of course your criticism is going to be met by SOMEONE who disagrees, but this is the flaw with the Deusites, since they are always negative and someone will always disagree they pretend that each individual comment represents an entire group of people. "The board" or "the homers"

If we were the Jets, then every positive comment would (rightfully) get disagreed with, which does not mean everything they do is wrong, or that every single fan disagrees with every single move.
Andy although you and I do not always see eye to eye you are overall an objective poster, that is why even when I do not like an interaction with you I can respect your position because I know that it is sincere and is not just towing the homer line. There are a handful of posters who only focus on the positives, which is fine, but when those posters want to attack the posters who choose to discuss all aspects positive and negative, that is when it becomes an issue. We are all homers to a degree and we are all biased, but no draft class is a complete success so taking issue with people who have reservations with picks and adamantly defending them as if Belichick has 100% success with draft picks is moronic.

I do not disagree Belichick has done a tremendous job here, but like all coaches he has made mistakes and if I want to discuss the picks in this years draft that I view as likely to be those mistakes I do not think it is unreasonable. It should not be met with backlash as if I am not speaking something that is inevitable.

Or you could, you know, take the sane approach and wait & see how the picks pan out instead of telling anyone who will listen that this years draft was full of mistakes before you've even seen them take a single snap in the NFL.

Genuine question too, B6, how much game tape have you seen of the picks made this year?

The only time Hernandez saw 260 #s it was because he was in enforced idleness in confinement. Typically he played at about 240-245#s and Lafell is actually taller than Ahern who was really 6' 1+.

La Fell is NOT Ahern. Few are, but as a separating pass catcher he is much better than Hoomanwanui who they used when Gronk was unavailable last season. Between Ahern and Hoomanawanui as an in-line Y position run blocker, Hooman wins hands down.

Please don't make up facts that magnify Ahern's talent. He doesn't need it, and its irrelevant anyways.

Even using Hooman for half a season they still went 12-4.
Hernandez prior to going to prison was built like an ox, he was at least 260lbs, maybe even more, he weighed 245lbs coming out of college, and he easily added 15lbs since entering the NFL.

Hernandez measured at 6023 during the combine, which is around 6’2 ½” so I am not sure where you are getting the 6’1” from but you are wrong. I am not magnifying Hernandez talents I am acknowledging that he was a very talented player (proof is the $40M the team gave him), and Brandon LaFell is not going to replace him, they are two very different players.

Andy although you and I do not always see eye to eye you are overall an objective poster, that is why even when I do not like an interaction with you I can respect your position because I know that it is sincere and is not just towing the homer line. There are a handful of posters who only focus on the positives, which is fine, but when those posters want to attack the posters who choose to discuss all aspects positive and negative, that is when it becomes an issue. We are all homers to a degree and we are all biased, but no draft class is a complete success so taking issue with people who have reservations with picks and adamantly defending them as if Belichick has 100% success with draft picks is moronic.

I do not disagree Belichick has done a tremendous job here, but like all coaches he has made mistakes and if I want to discuss the picks in this years draft that I view as likely to be those mistakes I do not think it is unreasonable. It should not be met with backlash as if I am not speaking something that is inevitable.
Your post here kind of sums up my point. No one is attacking you. No one is blindly taking a side without thought. If you feel someone is, point me to the post, and I will correct myself.
To say anyone is saying BB is 100% successful with his draft picks is just making things up to act as if you are on high ground. Its the deusbag move, exaggerate what the other person says and argue against that ficticious revision of their opinion.

Or you could, you know, take the sane approach and wait & see how the picks pan out instead of telling anyone who will listen that this years draft was full of mistakes before you've even seen them take a single snap in the NFL.

Genuine question too, B6, how much game tape have you seen of the picks made this year?
A decent amount, I followed the draft closely, this is my take –

Easley – He has a chance to be an all pro if healthy for the next decade, he is the fastest college player I have ever seen off the snap from an inside technique.

Fleming – With the right coaching, he could be a top tier RT in the NFL, I was very happy with this pick.

Moore – He was a steal, he has great size and arm length, very strong player who is capable of lining up at DT in sub packages, he has a chance to be the type of player everyone thought Cunningham and Francis would be. Outside of Easley, this was my favorite selection.

Thomas – He was a very good selection, he is actually a very impressive athlete who plays faster in pads, has very good range, he will work with the safeties, and likely end up being McCourty’s backup. He is a poor man’s Honey Badger.

White – He was a decent selection, he is a very good pass blocker, and we lacked that without Woodhead last season so he will serve a purpose. I do not know a ton about him so he could be better than I have given him credit.

Garopollo – It is not that I dislike him as a player I just do not like the pick for this team at #62.

Stork – Great college player, great leadership, great technique, he is not very athletic and I have concerns about him at the next level, I think we drafted him earlier than necessary, I think he would have been on the board at #130 or #140.

Halapio – I did not like this pick at all, I think he is slow footed; he has terrible technique, lacks athleticism, and has major durability concerns.

Gallon – I do not know much about him at all.

Essentially the only pick I take major issue with is the Halapio pick.

The lack of athleticism with Stork & Halapio doesn't factor in too much if the OL runs some old school hat on a hat our guys are stronger than yours style of play, based on the 3 picks on the line and who's coaching them now, I'd assume that's the style they will be going for.

What I like about the Stork pick is that he's big, strong, a technician & smart - that's what's needed especially when you look at what the Jets, Bills, Dolphins & Broncos have on the DL.

Your post here kind of sums up my point. No one is attacking you. No one is blindly taking a side without thought. If you feel someone is, point me to the post, and I will correct myself.
To say anyone is saying BB is 100% successful with his draft picks is just making things up to act as if you are on high ground. Its the deusbag move, exaggerate what the other person says and argue against that ficticious revision of their opinion.

This is not really between you and I and it is not a broad issue it is an issue with one poster and my post was direct at him directly. As I said we do not see eye to eye always but I respect and appreciate how you conduct yourself on this board, you are very informative and educational, when you want to be.

I am not being factious if you reread the posters posts who I was addressing you will see that he does not think that anything has ever been a bad decision.

The lack of athleticism with Stork & Halapio doesn't factor in too much if the OL runs some old school hat on a hat our guys are stronger than yours style of play, based on the 3 picks on the line and who's coaching them now, I'd assume that's the style they will be going for.

What I like about the Stork pick is that he's big, strong, a technician & smart - that's what's needed especially when you look at what the Jets, Bills, Dolphins & Broncos have on the DL.
The concern I have with Stork is with the increased use of the NASCAR fronts in the NFL, I am not that confident with Stork being able to block a 260lb defensive end rushing from the 3technique. I like Stork as a player and hope he works out, I am hopeful that Belichick and his staff will trim him down to about 310lbs and that will improve his speed and agility. Stork is a hard worker, he will not fail due to lack of effort. Halapio I am sorry but I do not see anything positive in his future I will be surprised if he makes the 53-man roster.

not getting excited about lafell, sorry. not that big of a homer.

I'm not sure what there is to be excited about. If everyone's healthy and Dobson is progressing well, he's the #5 option (behind Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, and Dobson), maybe #6 with Vereen. He's no star, but you could do a lot worse, that's for sure.

Halapio I am sorry but I do not see anything positive in his future I will be surprised if he makes the 53-man roster.

Do you have enough scouting knowledge on offensive line play and free time that you've watched some random late-round offensive guard play enough to make a real statement about his ability, or are you just going off short blurbs on him and a gut feeling?

You don't have to answer the free time thing, that you have a lot of free time is pretty clear.

I used to be called a chicken little but the more I've grown and the more I've watched football, some of you really have no clue. I was just watching an ESPN segment on draft grades and they pretty much ripped us for picking a QB in the 2nd round when "we could have added a receiver for Brady who took a pay cut" or added some help to that defense "with the way we performed at times last year". We apparently "missed on some guys" and had some "reaches" (when referring to Easily). The fact of the matter is too many of you fall for narratives too quickly. NFL network had a similar draft grade segment and Mayock (a real football mind) called it the most pointless segment that he's been a part of and he said this on air right into the camera with a look of displeasure on his face.

Help for Brady doesn't come on one side of the ball. Part of the reason the Colts failed so goddamn hard when Peyton went down was because they built there team around Peyton and Peyton only. BB has built a team that can win in different ways and with different players. If you don't consider the additions of Revis and Browner as "help for Brady" then you don't understand football. Its funny how some of you ***** and moan about how bad the defense was and then go ahead and ***** and moan about not getting Fitzgerald, or trading for Boldin when he left or passing upon "overrated receiver X" who was touted by Mel Kiper jr. as a good value pick to whatever team picked him and Kiper is supposedly basing his rankings on both his own eyes and what he hears from other nfl scouts and execs who are helping to form draft boards.

We are just days removed from the draft and we have people handing out draft grades as if these players have multiple seasons of production under their belts. This whole idea of "rising" and "falling" as well as "reaching" is a fallacy created by the media. None of these guys know exactly whats going on in draft room to draft room. Yet the know with such clarity where every player is slotted to go for every team.

Stop listening to idiots like Kiper and McShay who say things like the "the Bills could have drafted Odell Beckham instead of trading up for Watkins" as if Kiper knows that they have Watkins and Beckham graded out pretty much evenly and yet they went against that and traded up for Watkins for the hell of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes