PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats backroom let down Brady AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have enough scouting knowledge on offensive line play and free time that you've watched some random late-round offensive guard play enough to make a real statement about his ability, or are you just going off short blurbs on him and a gut feeling?

You don't have to answer the free time thing, that you have a lot of free time is pretty clear.
I have plenty of free time, as it appears you do as well, I use it to scout the draft picks and you use yours to take petty shots at people. I have enough knowledge to say that he has poor technique, is slow footed, and has durability issues, that generally does not translate to success in the NFL.

I love that I listed every draft pick and of course in true Primetime fashion you focus on the one player that I said something negative about, you are so predictable its actually pathetic, you just want to argue, you have no interest in discussing football you just pick things you can have confrontation about.

Help for Brady doesn't come on one side of the ball. Part of the reason the Colts failed so goddamn hard when Peyton went down was because they built there team around Peyton and Peyton only. BB has built a team that can win in different ways and with different players. If you don't consider the additions of Revis and Browner as "help for Brady" then you don't understand football. Its funny how some of you ***** and moan about how bad the defense was and then go ahead and ***** and moan about not getting Fitzgerald, or trading for Boldin when he left or passing upon "overrated receiver X" who was touted by Mel Kiper jr. as a good value pick to whatever team picked him and Kiper is supposedly basing his rankings on both his own eyes and what he hears from other nfl scouts and execs who are helping to form draft boards.

"Help for Brady" is such a broken argument as the people who generally use it act as if Brady is the only team member. By improving the defense they are helping Brady as he plays on the same team as they do, at least last I checked.

Improving any area of the team helps Brady win a Superbowl as he is part of that improved team as well.

I have plenty of free time, as it appears you do as well, I use it to scout the draft picks and you use yours to take petty shots at people. I have enough knowledge to say that he has poor technique, is slow footed, and has durability issues, that generally does not translate to success in the NFL.

I love that I listed every draft pick and of course in true Primetime fashion you focus on the one player that I said something negative about, you are so predictable its actually pathetic, you just want to argue, you have no interest in discussing football you just pick things you can have confrontation about.

Actually I just want to troll you because you seem to take patsfans dot com really seriously

I spend as much time and money researching the draft as all but a few. when draft day comes I have a list of players that I think that the Patriots should draft. Some years they draft a few and most years they don't.

However, I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know 10% of what the professionals know. I wait and see how the players they do draft work out, before I offer an opinion. But I guess there are some who think that they have all the answers because they go to the on line draft sites and get information. Then they are all upset when their blinkies are are not picked.

What I have tried to emphasize is that the picks which were made by BB in this draft were to implement new structures for both lines since the previous schemes were not producing the results all of us want. Whether the choices that were made were the best available players at that time can be debated however he felt that they were the ones that fit what he was trying to do. For instance if we are going to to a 4-3 scheme with quick DT's and no nose tackle, a player like Nix would not fit no matter how high he is rated. Regarding the pick of Garapolo, it is safe to assume that Malett will be gone after this season at the latest, so the Pats have to plan for a replacement and picking a QB this year give them a head start. Whether it was smarter to take the center Martin in the second round and the QB in the fourth than what was done, time will tell but I would trust BB with his scouting reports rather than the Wannabe Kipers with their information. Let me say that BB has been fallible in some of his choices but so has every other renowned GM like Newsome. What some of you lack is the historical perspective of how putrid the drafting by the Pats was before him with first round picks like Chris Canty. Remember Parcells saying he needed to pick the groceries, well the groceries then were chosen by Bobby Grier and Parcells knew he couldn't make chicken salad out of the chicken sh-t players he was given.

A decent amount, I followed the draft closely, this is my take –

Stork – Great college player, great leadership, great technique, he is not very athletic and I have concerns about him at the next level, I think we drafted him earlier than necessary, I think he would have been on the board at #130 or #140.

Halapio – I did not like this pick at all, I think he is slow footed; he has terrible technique, lacks athleticism, and has major durability concerns.

Gallon – I do not know much about him at all.

Essentially the only pick I take major issue with is the Halapio pick.

huh?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"Brady6 On the Roster
Ratings:
+195 / 35 / -41

12-Jersey.png

New
JMC00 said:
Which is kind of my point. Belichick went with these guys because they fit the scheme he is hoping to successfully implement.

Brady6 just hates the picks because the guys weren't on his binkie big board.
chasa said:

ftfy
I really actually only hate 2 picks – Halapio and Stork, I am not all about White, Gallon, or JG, I think Thomas, Fleming, and Moore were good selections, and I absolutely love the Easley pick.

Was I supposed to love all 9 of the picks, is that what the real fans do, they have absolutely NO ability to think for themselves and just agree with what Belichick does? Sorry if I did not follow protocol well enough."

Yesterday you were going bananas with the "I HATE THESE TWO PICKS!!!!!"...a day later and, as usual, the Brady6 spinboy on psychoactive drugs act is back in all its malignant glory. When Halapio makes the roster or practice squad I'm betting YOU will be bragging how you called it and how YOU are a genius and do not take kindly to ANYONE disagreeing with you. Seems you already ATE the STORK crow, eh? THAT was fast...yesterday..."HORRIBLE!!!" today?..."uh...Halapio is horrible...only him"....complete whackjob.

Last edited:
Interior pass rusher-checked
Shore up OL-checked

That's all I give a damn about in this draft.

Here is my confusion with the Draft this year Cousin.I agree with you in some parts. But at the end of the day only 17% of these picks will make a difference in the roster ( as every Draft for every Team upon average). So I take this as a grain of salt. Only two of who we drafted will work out. By the way, that is why I prefer FA signings. You know they have NFL tape and you know they will play.

What bothers me is the BB moniker of "We do what is best for the Team?" Nope. I still see BB as a mediocre Draft participant. He out thinks himself. Might be a touch of ego but he can do that because of who he is. He is not a real good "grocery guy". He has had perhaps two good Drafts in the last dozen years and some in the forum think he is a genius in that venue. Cousins, he is a better FA evaluator and trader.

Now we will get the posters who say "What do you know DW Toys!". O.K. fair point, but with the media available to all of us here today on every player we know as much as some front offices. Many athletes are not even contacted before they are Drafted by said Team. They are selected by and because of gathered media information.17% success rate is not great, but we (they) are dealing with human beings who react differently than what we are expected to act or perform.

That being said, BB did a crap shoot to the nth degree this year on a supposed superior Draft class. Many have annalysed this propensity he has for where he drafts someone. He loses value because his grading system stinks. He overdrafts too many players (Wilson, Butler, Jackson and many this year as example)

Like most of you, I like JG. I think this process was a year early for a future QB. He might know who is in college but some develop differently. He gets Revis and Browner for "now", then has a change of heart and goes "future" in Draft with kids that can't help us now.

None of these picks were outstanding nor done with a sense of urgency to "Do the best for the Team", so that is crap. O.K. Easley might be a sleeper as well as the kid from Concordia. JG was too early and a waste of a valuable roster slot. The rest are more than likely out of the league in three years although one or two might hold on.

This was the best Draft in years for a WR. We got a special teams guy. I hope I am wrong but Lafell seems like a #4 wideout. In retrospect, would you trade a one in 2014 and one in 2015 plus a forth for a Watkins? I think Buffalo took a very good path and we need a WR moreso with that talent for Brady. How many here have begged for a WR of a Fitzgerald caliber? Looking at the pieces we drafted, would you not have exchanged half of them for Watkins? Yes off course you would.

We could not get off the field in Denver with our Defense and we Draft six Offensive mediocre players who will not make a difference for us in 2014. Do you all care about 2014 or you want 2017? O.K. I think the wounded coming back makes the difference.

But lets be fair here. So if we took Easley and Watkins and called it a day, how many would have been happy?

I still contend BB is not in the same area code as Ozzie or some G.M.s when i comes to the Draft. Love BB. Best coach ever, very weak Drafter.

I think if it was true, we got the TE Duncan from Dixie State, he could be the most valuable piece we picked up and please understand this....for help for 2014 other than Easley if he is healthy.
DW Toys

Spot on.

Parcells was better at the draft.

While Parcells was a better drafter than Grier, his success was limited at the Jets and Miami. Just count their rings under Parcells.

I understand this is just a troll thread, but what happened to the days when the front office was letting brady down by fielding a crap defense?

I can't believe they let Brady down in 2003 when they made him go into the season with his best WR being a second year player who had less than 500 yards as a rookie, Christian Fauria as his best receiving tight end, and a running game that averaged less than 4 yards per carry.

Trolling 101

glm rated your post Dislike in the thread Pats backroom let down Brady AGAIN.
2:06 PM
2:05 PM
2:01 PM
2:01 PM
2:00 PM
1:58 PM
1:12 PM
glm rated your post Disagree in the thread Pats backroom let down Brady AGAIN.
1:08 PM
1. glm rated your post Disagree in the thread Pats backroom let down Brady AGAIN.
12:58 PM
12:55 PM
12:54 PM
12:53 PM
glm rated your post Disagree in the thread Pats backroom let down Brady AGAIN.
12:52 PM

While Parcells was a better drafter than Grier, his success was limited at the Jets and Miami. Just count their rings under Parcells.

Something that is very true, and overlooked by many.

Parcells era selections with the Jets:

1997: James Farrior was taken in the first round, but didn't do much with the Jets; his career didn't take off until the Jets made no attempt to re-sign him and he departed for Pittsburgh. Jason Ferguson was selected in the 7th round but between those two were nine players that would be labeled as busts here.

1998: First three picks were DE Dorian Boose, DB Scott Frost and KR Kevin Williams; none was ever a regular starter and all had short NFL careers. OT Jasin Fabini was a good pick in the 4th round, but after that it was eight more busts.

1999: G Randy Thomas had a decent NFL career, but again it ended up being elsewhere (with Washington). After that it was again a subpar draft, with seven selections that ranged from minor contributors to nobodies.

2000: The one and only solid draft for Parcells with four first-round picks (Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, Anthony Becht), plus Laveranues Coles in the 3rd.

Parcells-era selections with Miami:

2008: Jake Long was a very good pick, but don't forget the Dolphins had the number one overall selection. Chad Henne and Kendall Langford were good picks, but Parcells missed on DE Philip Merling at 2.32, and nobody from the 4th round on helped out.

2009: Hot and cold: Vontae Davis (1.25), Sean Smith (2.61), Brian Hartline (4.108) and Chris Clemons (5.165) were hits, but Pat White (2.44), Patrick Turner (3.77) were busts.

2010: First-round pick Jared Odrick has been Miami's starter at DT, but looked shaky last year. Koa Misi (2.40) has been a good OLB, but G John Jerry (3.73) wasn't, and LB AJ Edds (4.119) has only appeared in 11 NFL games - none as a starter - bouncing around between three teams.

Overall not bad at all, but the early round misses are something to consider when evaluating and comparing to others.

Didnt read all the posts in this thread so sorry if i repeat other comments, but this idea that Pats are letting Brady down is overblown and plain false.

I heard this last year after the AFCCG and its like people actually the Pats formed the roster with plans for Brady to throw to only Amendola, Edelman, Collie, Mulligan, Ho-Man, Slater. No that wasnt the case. The plan was for him to through to Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Boyce and Jones. Thing is injuries and murder messed that plan up. You can say they left Brady high and dry, I will maintain they surrounded him with all that was needed to again be #1 Offense but circumstances outside their power led to it falling apart.

I have no doubt people who last year claimed the front office screwed brady by not giving him weapons argued how they surrounded him with rookie WR's. Now that they didnt draft more rookie WR and TE's they are letting Brady down.

When Pats were on the clock in the 2nd round the top 4 TE's were gone, maybe that CJ the Texans picked a couple picks later will be good, but for my money I will take a shot on Dustin Keller over him any day. I am fine with not taking a TE just for the sake of it in the draft. If they sign Keller, which i think they will then im even more fine with it.

As far as WR's go. Edelman will be Edelman and am happy to have him back (hopefully on a much de-emphasized role), Amendola basically played the whole season with an injury so will improve next year. Im high on Dobson and expect him to make a big jump next season. Boyce also has the chance to be much improved. LaFell is an unknown but has size and now has a chance to feature in a pass first offense with an elite QB.

My prediction is Week 1 Pats take the field wit some Combo of Gronk, Keller, Dobson, Lafell, Amendola, Edelman, Boyce. You are going to put up points with that offense,

More importantly i bet if you offer Brady the Question: Hey we will spend big money on decent Recievers and you will put up stats and have a top 3 offense and win games 42-39 or we can can spent big money on defensive players and you have a top 5 offense with a top 5 D and win games 32-10 which would you prefer.

I bet he is picking the 2nd choice. And they did that by adding a top 5 Defensive player to the team. You could argue Revis is better than top 5.

Thing is we saw the movie before. The #1 Offense steamrolling the regular season and falling short in the playoffs. The pats have been the team to knock off the #1 offense and they have been the #1 offense that has gotten knocked off. That system doesnt work.

Patriots problem in the AFCCG last year was not that they couldnt score points, their problem was that the D could not get off the field. They went out this off-season and made moves to assure next year they can get off the field and in that the Pats Backroom did more for Brady than they could have by picking up any WR.

Hernandez prior to going to prison was built like an ox, he was at least 260lbs, maybe even more, he weighed 245lbs coming out of college, and he easily added 15lbs since entering the NFL.

Hernandez measured at 6023 during the combine, which is around 6’2 ½” so I am not sure where you are getting the 6’1” from but you are wrong. I am not magnifying Hernandez talents I am acknowledging that he was a very talented player (proof is the $40M the team gave him), and Brandon LaFell is not going to replace him, they are two very different players.

That is what I said, LaFell is NOT Ahern. I recall a pre-draft report, I don't recall which or where, that listed him as 'nominally 6'2". '

Didnt read all the posts in this thread so sorry if i repeat other comments, but this idea that Pats are letting Brady down is overblown and plain false.

I heard this last year after the AFCCG and its like people actually the Pats formed the roster with plans for Brady to throw to only Amendola, Edelman, Collie, Mulligan, Ho-Man, Slater. No that wasnt the case. The plan was for him to through to Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola, Edelman, Dobson, Boyce and Jones. Thing is injuries and murder messed that plan up. You can say they left Brady high and dry, I will maintain they surrounded him with all that was needed to again be #1 Offense but circumstances outside their power led to it falling apart.

I have no doubt people who last year claimed the front office screwed brady by not giving him weapons argued how they surrounded him with rookie WR's. Now that they didnt draft more rookie WR and TE's they are letting Brady down.

When Pats were on the clock in the 2nd round the top 4 TE's were gone, maybe that CJ the Texans picked a couple picks later will be good, but for my money I will take a shot on Dustin Keller over him any day. I am fine with not taking a TE just for the sake of it in the draft. If they sign Keller, which i think they will then im even more fine with it.

As far as WR's go. Edelman will be Edelman and am happy to have him back (hopefully on a much de-emphasized role), Amendola basically played the whole season with an injury so will improve next year. Im high on Dobson and expect him to make a big jump next season. Boyce also has the chance to be much improved. LaFell is an unknown but has size and now has a chance to feature in a pass first offense with an elite QB.

My prediction is Week 1 Pats take the field wit some Combo of Gronk, Keller, Dobson, Lafell, Amendola, Edelman, Boyce. You are going to put up points with that offense,

More importantly i bet if you offer Brady the Question: Hey we will spend big money on decent Recievers and you will put up stats and have a top 3 offense and win games 42-39 or we can can spent big money on defensive players and you have a top 5 offense with a top 5 D and win games 32-10 which would you prefer.

I bet he is picking the 2nd choice. And they did that by adding a top 5 Defensive player to the team. You could argue Revis is better than top 5.

Thing is we saw the movie before. The #1 Offense steamrolling the regular season and falling short in the playoffs. The pats have been the team to knock off the #1 offense and they have been the #1 offense that has gotten knocked off. That system doesnt work.

Patriots problem in the AFCCG last year was not that they couldnt score points, their problem was that the D could not get off the field. They went out this off-season and made moves to assure next year they can get off the field and in that the Pats Backroom did more for Brady than they could have by picking up any WR.

I.m glad you qualified the poor Defense to the AFCCG. Last year's Defense was headed for a Top 10 rating before the injuries to the stars all hit. The sacks/season went up to Championship level, better than any BB Defense. The 3rd down conversion rating dropped into the respectable range, the 3-&-outs climbed and the PPG declined somewhat.

That Defense was ready to shine. But this season's Defense looms as much better and deeper, except at reserve LB. I trust BB will trade for a vet or sign a vet cut at LB before the season.

As for the Top 3 Offense, I think it is prospectively much more solid with the O-Line additions and the general level of experience there now. Provided that TFB has a good season. But even there the QBing is better by being deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back