PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Apply for Copyright on 19-0. We're Screwed! [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stan Musial Jr.

On the Roster
Reaction score
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02012008/news/regionalnews/pat_ently_smug__snooty_587194.htm

I don't like it... not one bit.

(Mod. edit: So that no one clicks on the link, here is the full version of what the NY Post has)

PAT-ENTLY SMUG & SNOOTY
****Y NEW ENGLAND TEMPTS FATE WITH '19-0' TRADEMARK
By CHUCK BENNETT

February 1, 2008 -- The Patriots are suffering from premature exhilaration.

The arrogant New England team has already applied for trademarks on "19-0" and "19-0 The Perfect Season." Three days before they beat the San Diego Chargers, and more than two weeks before Super Bowl XLII, the team egotistically filed paperwork with the US Patent and Trademark Office to cash in on sales of T-shirts, caps, posters and all kinds of Pats paraphernalia.

COMPLETE SUPER BOWL COVERAGE

MORE: Giants Blog

But the Pats have the wrong number.

The Post, ever confident that Eli Manning and company will squash the Pats on Sunday, spent $375 for its own trademark application yesterday - on "18-1."

Our application, No. 77385477, is pending.

And Bill Belichick and his bozos better wait a minuteman before counting their royalties.

"If the team gets wind of this and thinks, 'Maybe we jinxed ourselves,' well, the power of the human mind is incalculable, and if they begin thinking that, they will lose," warned Jordana Sands, a celebrity psychic from Manhattan.

Adding to the jinx, the official online NFL Shop has already started selling "19-0 Perfect Season" Super Bowl XLII championship tees and sweatshirts.

"I come from a town that's incredibly superstitious and there is a phrase, 'You don't want to disturb the gambling gods,' and there is a segment of the population that thinks they are messing with the gambling gods," said veteran Las Vegas oddsmaker Tony Sinisi.

As for the Giants, they are taking everything in stride.

"My reaction is this, our entire organization, from the Mara and Tisch families down, is focused on one thing: winning one game," said Giants spokesman Pat Hanlon.

The Post had no luck contacting David Johanson, the attorney who applied for the New England trademarks on Jan. 17. The woman who answered his telephone yelled, "We can't talk about this!" and hung up.

Several hours later, Pats spokesman Stacey James called to say the trademark filing was to protect profits, and is not a pre-emptive writing of history.

"These are defensive tactics taken so people can't brand with our logo," he said.

The "19-0" trademark has not yet been approved.

And all James had to say about his team's patent-office prophecy was: "I am confident that we are 18-0 and we play on Sunday."

For many sports watchers, the Pats' trademark application harked back to Pat Riley's days as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers.

In 1989, he trademarked the phrase "three-peat" in hopes of cashing in on bringing his team to a third consecutive championship.

His team failed, but ultimately Riley hit a royalties windfall anyway when the Chicago Bulls hit the "three-peat" in 1993.

[email protected]

MORE: Crazy Crystal Balls: Predictions For Super Bowl XLII

Re: uh oh Patriots have applied for "19-0 the Perfect Season" trademark

Stop reading the Post! They are the worst rag out there. Jeez! I thought we would have learned our collective lesson by now.

Bob Kraft has every right to protect the rights of those two phrases. We already have some author out there who wrote a book about it and we haven't even won the game. This is not a BB football thing. This is a Bob Kraft business thing. The NY Post is hack News Paper. All they are trying to to do is create a distraction. IT WON'T WORK.

Why would you not like it? You are a NY troll that joined this last week (and posted mostly to the political forum) and the only football related post is another baiting troll post.

This shouldn't bother you a bit. Shove along troll and buy the book once we stomp the Giants Sunday and go 19-0.

Look what trademarking three-peat in November of 1988 did for Pat Reilly and his Los Angeles Lakers. Eight months after trademarking that phrase, the Lakers won their third championship in a row. I am afraid we might suffer the same fate as the Lakers.

Why would you not like it? You are a NY troll that joined this last week (and posted mostly to the political forum) and the only football related post is another baiting troll post.

This shouldn't bother you a bit. Shove along troll and buy the book once we stomp the Giants Sunday and go 19-0.

Well said,what is Kraft suppose to do wait til after the game so someone else can get it..

we've clearly entered the really, really silly final 48 hours before sb sunday. i only expect it to get a lot worse today and tomorrow.

(phony) stories to expect:

"Moss' girlfiiend-accuser expected to attend game with first row seat on 50 yard line behind patriots bench."

"Gisele calls out Jessica for live slapdown"

"Brady Sr. says that Tom's afraid of choking Sunday."

"Patriot spy apprehended at Giants' practice.

Good for Kraft. He's protecting potentially substantial future earnings. This is still a business and there's no reason to not make good business decisions.

Look what trademarking three-peat in November of 1988 did for Pat Reilly and his Los Angeles Lakers. Eight months after trademarking that phrase, the Lakers won their third championship in a row. I am afraid we might suffer the same fate as the Lakers.

Actually, there was no three-peat. After trademarking the phrase, the Lakers went on to get swept 4-0 by the Pistons in the 88-89 Finals.

Actually, there was no three-peat. After trademarking the phrase, the Lakers went on to get swept 4-0 by the Pistons in the 88-89 Finals.

You are right. My bad.

Hmmmm. This could have a negative impact.

Dashoe? That sounds familiar........ I got it, you that infamous INDY troll from Patriots Planet? After you were booted from there, it took you a few months until you found your way over here, but you found us. Lucky us.

Welcome :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Well, this certainly validates the jinx potential:

"If the team gets wind of this and thinks, 'Maybe we jinxed ourselves,' well, the power of the human mind is incalculable, and if they begin thinking that, they will lose," warned Jordana Sands, a celebrity psychic from Manhattan.

Crap. I blindly followed the link to the Post. Now I have to go take a shower and clean my computer.

It took them until 2002 to get their threepeat, having eon it in 2000,2001 and 2002.

The worst part about playing the Giants is definitely the Post's coverage being spammed everywhere.

I have to say it's interesting, after the way the team and its fans went all goo-goo over what Anthony Smith and Plax Burress said, that you're now actually JUSTIFYING what is in fact a "guarantee" from the Patriot organization itself. Whether you will admit it or not.

This time you can't use the "what position does the mayor play?" ploy. This time it's the the team itself doing the talking. But you all seem to avoid that inconvenient little fact.

It seems that preserving that "humble pie, only the other guys talk" image is more important than anything else, including winning.

Amazing.

19-0 trademark will be approved on Monday because I want to see anti-pats people angry.

Last edited:
Pats Apply for Copyright on 19-0. We're Screwed!

I just saw something on ESPN saying that. Anyone else hear it?

Oh yeah, let's see... somebody is pissed off that I said "we're screwed," blah blah blah... bite me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back