PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots video of War Room calling Mac Jones. Who is in the Room?

The more I've thought about it, the smarter it seems to me.

Of course, it's a gamble. The first gamble is to back your judgement. Is the guy you want good enough to be a long-term starter in the NFL with the ability to quarterback your team to a Championship? Say Mahomes or Wilson level. Or, if not quite that good, at least Watson or Prescott.

But let's say you're confident enough in your judgement to think that you've found someone at that level and the price is three first-rounders. Well, a franchise quarterback is going to cost you $25m. So, if you have your quarterback on a rookie contract, you can spend the difference on free agents. Do that arithmetic and going without a first-rounder for two more years looks pretty reasonable.

Here's the problem.
Imagine you made the case to get your guy (Shanahan for Mac) based on elite success with Cousins and Matt Ryan, and then AFTER giving up 3 first rounders, the franchise gets delusioned with Mac in favor of Trey Lance and you don't feel comfortable stopping the train. So you burn 3 firsts for a QB you didn't want 4 weeks ago....

Last edited:
It really is. This isn't a fantasy football draft for crissakes

I totally appreciate how the NEP conduct business. They get on the phone with players as if they were ordering mulch or loam to be delivered.
Agreed. I see how the twitterverse is all blowing because they didn't dance like fools. They ain't the Lions. EDIT: Or the Jete.
Happy George Costanza GIF

I was shocked when I heard SF picked Lance. I was also a bit sad because I knew they weren't going to let JG go. Lance is a long term gamble that might not start to pay off for the Niners for 2 years. The consensus was that Lance SHOULDN'T see the field for at least ONE year maybe longer. So Jimmy HAS to be there for this season.

I was NEVER a fan of moving up. This is a team desperate to get younger. They need every pick they can get, because the fact of the matter is, most draft picks DON'T work out and the best method for success is to have more shots at the table. You know who would have thought we'd pick up a starter and backup OLmen with 2 picks in the 6th round. If the Pats had picked Owenu in the first and he turned out to be what he was, no one would be criticizing Bill for his first round pick. But because he got him in the 6th he doesn't get credit for it.

Same goes for all the UDFA's we picked up. Butler, JJones, and Jackson come immediately to mind Three critical starters that came from the same draft process that occurs when they make an actual pick.

BTW- Has Matt lost a little weight now that he wears a suit instead of a T-shirt to work.

Why unfortunately Ziegler?

Pats drafts have sucked since Ziegler joined after the 2012 draft. And his college roommate MD returned too at this time.

I was shocked when I heard SF picked Lance. I was also a bit sad because I knew they weren't going to let JG go. Lance is a long term gamble that might not start to pay off for the Niners for 2 years. The consensus was that Lance SHOULDN'T see the field for at least ONE year maybe longer. So Jimmy HAS to be there for this season.

I was NEVER a fan of moving up. This is a team desperate to get younger. They need every pick they can get, because the fact of the matter is, most draft picks DON'T work out and the best method for success is to have more shots at the table. You know who would have thought we'd pick up a starter and backup OLmen with 2 picks in the 6th round. If the Pats had picked Owenu in the first and he turned out to be what he was, no one would be criticizing Bill for his first round pick. But because he got him in the 6th he doesn't get credit for it.

Same goes for all the UDFA's we picked up. Butler, JJones, and Jackson come immediately to mind Three critical starters that came from the same draft process that occurs when they make an actual pick.

BTW- Has Matt lost a little weight now that he wears a suit instead of a T-shirt to work.

Very interesting how fate or the future happens. We could have had JimmyG back 24 hours ago. Now we've got the rookie QB.

Mac whispering to Goodell and laughing, 'this is what I wanted, don't tell anybody lol"

BG (@suggmmaa) Tweeted:
‼️

It reminds me of Jeff Allen in BUF. Worked out well for them, but it took till Year 3 till he really took off.

Also, again, we can't forget SF traded one draft pick for three firsts and two thirds.

SF is going to have a hard time keeping affordable quality and depth without those picks.

They might not have a lot of talent on their roster before they hit Lance's third season.

It reminds me of Jeff Allen in BUF. Worked out well for them, but it took till Year 3 till he really took off.

Also, again, we can't forget SF traded one draft pick for three firsts and two thirds.

SF is going to have a hard time keeping affordable quality and depth without those picks.

They might not have a lot of talent on their roster before they hit Lance's third season.

Mac isn't raw. I feel like this kid could take over after Halloween if he works his ass off....

Mac whispering to Goodell and laughing, 'this is what I wanted, don't tell anybody lol"

BG (@suggmmaa) Tweeted:
‼️

Incredible. If this kid devotes the next 24 months to being the best this will be incredible lineage for a storied franchise

I love Bill's words of welcome. Somebody told him he needed to brush up on hospitality and he marathoned Snowpiercer.

It almost sounds as if BB is unsure of the pick, asking everyone "are you good on this?" I mean if MJ was clearly the best pick there would be no question.

Ok, Felger. Or is this Mazz?

Agreed. I see how the twitterverse is all blowing because they didn't dance like fools. They ain't the Lions. EDIT: Or the Jete.
Happy George Costanza GIF
As the description here says, there are many different types of Jete.

The more I've thought about it, the smarter it seems to me.

Of course, it's a gamble. The first gamble is to back your judgement. Is the guy you want good enough to be a long-term starter in the NFL with the ability to quarterback your team to a Championship? Say Mahomes or Wilson level. Or, if not quite that good, at least Watson or Prescott.

But let's say you're confident enough in your judgement to think that you've found someone at that level and the price is three first-rounders. Well, a franchise quarterback is going to cost you $25m. So, if you have your quarterback on a rookie contract, you can spend the difference on free agents. Do that arithmetic and going without a first-rounder for two more years looks pretty reasonable.

Imo, that's giving away the advantage of having a QB on a rookie contract.

Edit to add:. If they had traded those picks for the first pick I'd agree with you.

Imo, that's giving away the advantage of having a QB on a rookie contract.

Edit to add:. If they had traded those picks for the first pick I'd agree with you.

Salary difference between a #15 pick and a #3 pick very significant...

New video of Mac meeting the Kraft's and also an interview where he says he's looking forward to being coached hard by Belichick. Awesome.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back