PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp Tuesday August 9th

But Nixon and Wilkerson might balk at another practice squad or a Foxboro flu assignment, it might be hard to stash either if the entire NFL sees them put up stats in preseason.

Maybe extraordinary stats.

IMO you have both overrated, not in terms of possible potential, but how the league views them.

Nobody is going to be jumping for second year 7th round pick or UFA who did little their rookie seasons from a team who isn't considered top at WR, especially when roster spots are at the most premium.

Pretty much every team has their own Nixon or Wilkerson.

IMO you have both overrated, not in terms of possible potential, but how the league views them.

Nobody is going to be jumping for second year 7th round pick or UFA who did little their rookie seasons from a team who isn't considered top at WR, especially when roster spots are at the most premium.

People were saying this about Wilkerson last year too.

He set an NFL record for most receptions to start a career without a TD, so yeah, you can depend on him not to do anything with the ball in his hands and to never be open in the end zone.
He is also great at converting on 3rd down so there is a balance there. He is good to have on the team, the issue is he isn't a no1 but that's not his fault it's the lack of talent that we have had around him.

I'm not overrating anything, I have stated they could put up great stats this preseason... or they could fall flat on their faces.

What I do know, is we have a potentially decent backup QB who wants to sling it and there will be opportunities to be had.

Neither of us has a clue about what Nixon or Wilkerson will evolve into... and only one of us is pretending too.

I'm not overrating anything, I have stated they could put up great stats this preseason... or they could fall flat on their faces.

What I do know, is we have a potentially decent backup QB who wants to sling it and there will be opportunities to be had.

Neither of us has a clue about what Nixon or Wilkerson will evolve into... and only one of us is pretending too.
If they want to stash, they are probably not going to expose them much ..

Again as others have stated every team have a list of players they want to stash ..
So if we cut a 7th rounder with no active game experience how will others teams consider that this player is worth a spot on their 53 man roster . I am looking at only josh who possibly could poach . Else there is a very good chance Nixon returns back on PS.

Agreed, wait until the zero hour before making a move. Make sure everyone on this roster is healthy, make sure the kids play to the expectations we're hoping they will. We're just spitballing here, there's certainly no rush.

Agholor caught 900 yards, 8 td's and had the second highest yards per reception in the NFL in 2020... he didn't come to NE and forget how to play, his talent didn't leave him like the levels on a video game. New team, bad blocking, mistake prone football, rookie QB... count the reasons why he had half the production as the previous season, but I guarantee (if healthy) it was neither of those first two reasons. He could put up those numbers (or better) here in 2022 if they play well, he could do it elsewhere if the conditions were right. He has value, the value in trading him is the combination of cap space and a late round pick. Again, same with Jakobi, I like it if they extended either or both of them rather than trade them... assuming the money was reasonable. I just want the five best receivers at the best value.

What's he want for money?

He's faster than Meyers by at least a tenth of a second, otherwise they could be brothers how similar they are. Bourne plays with a contagious energy, I'd hate to lose that, plus he is reasonably paid through another season (2023).

Wilkerson's is also faster than Meyers by at least a tenth of a second... his agility is unique in a league full of quick people. He has the best shuttle and cone of every WR or RB on the team. No weapon on the team has his ability to break ankles and make DB's lose a cleat trying to change direction with him. He's the same size as Bourne and Meyers but is an inch shorter, his agility is almost as quick as Edelman. Quickness/agility in the slot is more important than top speed, and he's not slow.

I can't/won't predict injuries... bad mojo.

But Nixon and Wilkerson might balk at another practice squad or a Foxboro flu assignment, it might be hard to stash either if the entire NFL sees them put up stats in preseason.
Meyers was the ONLY NEP receiver who was functional with Cam as QB - led the receivers with 700 some yards, next highest pass catcher, I believe, was under 400. That might just mean he was the first read to an extent but it tells you something.

My point on Agholor wasn't that he didn't have the year he had with the Raiders, but that when you go to trade him, people can see his trajectory to date and they have that arrow in their quiver when deciding what we get for him. Plus, THEY have exposure, no matter what you and I say to each other in terms of excuses for his year. Name a guy who has a down year in NE, goes elsewhere in a trade, and gets us a high round pick. I'm just saying, what will we get for him?

Hey I love Wilkerson. As I recall he got two balls thrown to him last year in one game and both were TDs? Or was it just he played in one game and it was a 2-TD game? How can you not like that mojo? And none of the guys we're talking about are just plain slow or can't get separation. The "Pro 4" of Bourne, Meyers, Agholor, and Parker never hit those depths here (yes we woulda like more out of NA) The rest are the Binkies really but I find the binky crop promising , especially TT.

But it is a long season and we have this pileup for a reason. It might be to have enough to get through. Some guys will continue to shine, some are inevitably cut- or trade-bait. I, at least, don't know enough to judge (a lot of guys here always do).

If they want to stash, they are probably not going to expose them much ..

Again as others have stated every team have a list of players they want to stash ..
So if we cut a 7th rounder with no active game experience how will others teams consider that this player is worth a spot on their 53 man roster . I am looking at only josh who possibly could poach . Else there is a very good chance Nixon returns back on PS.
"Every team have a list of players they want to stash," okay say this is true. Some teams are really deep at CB, that's how we got Shaun Wade in trade right before last season began. Some teams are really deep at OL or DT, these are the teams you want to poach from if you are light at those positions after camp cuts are made.

My only point here is based off the theoretical that Nixon and Wilkerson light it up in preseason, not based off what Pat's fans think about them prior to the preseason games. Pats fans (I suspect many teams) are weapons obsessed, it's probably a byproduct of fantasy football... but WR has a chance at being one of the deepest positions on this team by the end of preseason if everything shakes out correctly. Other teams will know this... assuming it happens.

Meyers was the ONLY NEP receiver who was functional with Cam as QB - led the receivers with 700 some yards, next highest pass catcher, I believe, was under 400. That might just mean he was the first read to an extent but it tells you something.
I remember midseason in 2020 or so a TV graphic appeared on the screen that showed Cam's target chart... it was close to midway through the season and Cam had thrown no passes to his right side... or like two. Cam also worked well with Edelman, both slot receivers, both pinned to the center of the field, he had no field of vision. Also I'm not knocking Meyers, saying he's slower is scientific fact, not a criticism... he simply is.
My point on Agholor wasn't that he didn't have the year he had with the Raiders, but that when you go to trade him, people can see his trajectory to date and they have that arrow in their quiver when deciding what we get for him. Plus, THEY have exposure, no matter what you and I say to each other in terms of excuses for his year. Name a guy who has a down year in NE, goes elsewhere in a trade, and gets us a high round pick. I'm just saying, what will we get for him?
The potential value in trading him is cap space and a late round pick. They'll get a later round pick because a team has to eat his contract... similar to Shaq Mason. But it will open up a lot of cap space and if you have two guys who can do what Agholor does in Thornton and Nixon for less it makes sense... this is all hypothetical though.
Hey I love Wilkerson. As I recall he got two balls thrown to him last year in one game and both were TDs? Or was it just he played in one game and it was a 2-TD game? How can you not like that mojo? And none of the guys we're talking about are just plain slow or can't get separation. The "Pro 4" of Bourne, Meyers, Agholor, and Parker never hit those depths here (yes we woulda like more out of NA) The rest are the Binkies really but I find the binky crop promising , especially TT.

But it is a long season and we have this pileup for a reason. It might be to have enough to get through. Some guys will continue to shine, some are inevitably cut- or trade-bait. I, at least, don't know enough to judge (a lot of guys here always do).
When looking for potential trades I look at who is a free agent next offseason, where is the team deep and where can they find value by playing a younger cheaper player.

I'm hoping to see Mac play at least one quarter but excited to see what Zappe has...

I'm hoping to see Mac play at least one quarter but excited to see what Zappe has...
I've been thinking about that...I don't want him to play this game...the O-line is the reason.

I've been thinking about that...I don't want him to play this game...the O-line is the reason.

Yeah, yesterday was a step in the right direction, but I'd rather see a few consecutive good days for them strung together first. I mean, at some point you gotta get Mac out there to play. He's still young and needs reps and rhythm. But I think they can afford to hold him out of this first one.

Is training camp basically over?

True, but he should play at least a few snaps to get acclimated to game action. If the o-line is sucking *** like it has been in practice, then get him out of there ASAP. In the least Patricia should call a whole bunch of running plays. I doubt the 0-line is going to be much better next week.

Is this a serious question?
If I recall correctly, there does come a point in the summer where the practices stop being public and info is harder to come by. Might be asking about that.

Is this a serious question?

Well, it looks like I'm the one who's mistaken, actually. It does look like the technical training camp period is coming to a close in the next several days. But there are still 4 weeks until the first regular season game, so more time ahead than behind (since training camp began). I guess that's considered the preseason, but I'm sure it's largely an extension of the things being done during training camp. So in that sense, I don't think training camp / preseason preparation is close to over.

Last year, the Patriots played their offensive starters — which at the time included quarterback Cam Newton — for the first two series of the preseason. They then left their top offensive line in for one additional drive with Jones and a collection of backup skill players.

If they follow that same blueprint, we can expect to see at least a handful of snaps for Jones, the Patriots’ retooled starting O-line and top skill players like Damien Harris, Rhamondre Stevenson, Jakobi Meyers, DeVante Parker, Kendrick Bourne, Nelson Agholor, Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith.

That group has looked disjointed throughout the summer, with the line, in particular, struggling to adjust to the Patriots’ new offensive scheme. Communication has been a persistent problem up front, leading to blocking breakdowns and frustration for Jones.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back