PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp Tuesday August 9th

It's tricky trying to use last year as a precedent for a couple reasons: One, there was an open competition between Cam and Mac, so when they wanted to look at each one was different compared to this year. They don't gain as much from seeing Hoyer or Zappe with the OL1 for example.

Two, it was the first preseason with three games instead of four, so they were probably feeling out how best to utilize the game reps they had. They may have made adjustments based on how that went last year.

Id like for Mac to get a series or 2 Thursday, as well as most starters. They need as many live reps in game scenarios as they can get imo

Id like for Mac to get a series or 2 Thursday, as well as most starters. They need as many live reps in game scenarios as they can get imo
Yeah, I was surprised to hear that Reiss thinks Mac will not be playing and he's usually on target.

Yeah, I was surprised to hear that Reiss thinks Mac will not be playing and he's usually on target.
I wouldnt doubt Reiss, I simply just dont get it. Less games, less padded practices, etc, etc. Theyre implementing changes to an offense and are clearly struggling as a unit in doing so. They need live bullets and could just be passing on that

I think Reiss is guessing based off of him not seeing Mac play when the defense was working off of cards in practice yesterday...

While the Patriots and Bill Belichick would never volunteer game-relevant information (even for a preseason game), ESPN's Mike Reiss noticed something at practice on Tuesday that might indicate that fans hoping to see Mac Jones sling some passes under the lights at Gillette Stadium on Thursday will be sorely disappointed.

"The Patriots worked off 'cards' for the first time, which is when they show one side of the ball something specific to do in preparation for an upcoming game," Reiss wrote in his practice observations from Tuesday. "When the defense worked off cards, the quarterbacks were Brian Hoyer and Bailey Zappe, which could be a tip-off that Mac Jones (and many other starters) aren't going to play in Thursday's preseason opener against the Giants. Jones' reps in that part of practice came when he ran 'cards' for the defense that figures to play most of the snaps Thursday night."

Might not be the best idea to keep Mac in for too long with Thibideaux, Ojulari, Lawrence and Williams vs our o-line...

Last edited:
I wouldnt doubt Reiss, I simply just dont get it. Less games, less padded practices, etc, etc. Theyre implementing changes to an offense and are clearly struggling as a unit in doing so. They need live bullets and could just be passing on that
My hunch is BB wants to see how the starting offense,particularly the ol, fares vs. Carolina in the joint practice first. That is a more controlled situation than a preseason game and means Mac is less susceptible to injury. It also gives Bill a clearer picture of how well the ol will hold up in a live game. We'll see Mac in pre-season games when the time's right.

Last edited:
He set an NFL record for most receptions to start a career without a TD, so yeah, you can depend on him not to do anything with the ball in his hands and to never be open in the end zone.
Edit: darn yt links - pls go to 7:57:

My hunch is BB wants to see how the starting offense,particularly the ol, fares vs. Vegas in the joint practice first. That is a more controlled situation than a preseason game and means Mac is less susceptible to injury. It also gives Bill a clearer picture of how well the ol will hold up in a live game. We'll see Mac in pre-season games when the time's right.
If he fears that the offense is going to get Mac hurt, then there is no reason to be implementing it this far into camp. At some point, you need to see how its going to work in game reps at game speed if you really are going through with these changes. If theyre hesitant, they might as well scrap it.

I said he can get open, I also think he’s one of the most instinctual receivers in his ability to find soft spots in zones and get his QB an easy third down conversion.

But he’s slow… that’s the reason his entire team was rooting for him to score his first career TD last year. Once he has the ball in hand, he isn’t fast. I like the guy a lot, unfortunately “like” only goes so far in contract talks.

At some point a player wants more than what a team is willing to give. I’m not sure that’s the case here but one has to wonder why he hasn’t signed a reasonable extension yet.
Thx for bringing up the Kirk contract example as a comparable. I agree with you in that I just don't see the Pats getting anywhere close to that.

If he fears that the offense is going to get Mac hurt, then there is no reason to be implementing it this far into camp. At some point, you need to see how its going to work in game reps at game speed if you really are going through with these changes. If theyre hesitant, they might as well scrap it.
You learn much more and get better work in, in a joint practice than in a preseason game. The ol is still being tweaked- we still don't know who is the starting rt. There's 2 joint practices and 3 more preseason games. I think Bill knows what he's doing

You learn much more and get better work in, in a joint practice than in a preseason game. The ol is still being tweaked- we still don't know who is the starting rt. There's 2 joint practices and 3 more preseason games. I think Bill knows what he's doing
I get that, not saying I dont disagree...But if you are afraid of playing your starting offense in a game, then its not a great sign. Players have the potential to get hurt at any point, Live game reps would be extremely valuable, and if Reiss is correct, theyd be skipping out on 33% of their chances

If there were one thing BB would want to correct from the last three years, I would say how they played in December and January would be at the top.

I know, compared to yesterday's standards, they are babied. But yesterday's athlete didn't grow up in air conditioning and other luxuries.

Everybody says Bill doesn't adjust, but maybe today Bill thinks he's been pushing them too hard.

Or maybe he's listening to his coaches opinions.

Yes it was, since it’s going to be game day preparations from here on out.
Bill was saying there is almost no game planning in pre season plus often starters might not even play

Bill was saying there is almost no game planning in pre season plus often starters might not even play
Yup its mainly to see how the Oline plays and of course the rookies.

Good read by Callahan about yesterday's practice:

Thought it was very interesting that he said Jack Jones "looked just as good" as Mitchell and Butler. That outside CB depth chart seems very competitive, and I didn't realize Jones was up there with the players battling for the starting role. Sounds like Bryant is still also in the mix for slot/safety.

I feel like Mitchell might have cooled off since the start of camp. Maybe it's just that he wasn't the first on the field yesterday after all this time, but it seems we've been hearing less about him recently. The Butler talk has gotten a bit more positive, but only by a small amount.

Was also surprised to see Thornton as a "dud", but his explanation seemed mostly like a byproduct of the whole offense being ineffective during 11s.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back