PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp Day 18 8/26- Joint Practice with Giants

I may be in the minority here but I want to see Cam and Mac both perform well. I don't look at the week 1 starter as the finish line but just the opening act. I don't even want BB to announce a starter and let the opening possession do that so that opponents have to do extra preparation for 2 very different QB's. Its a long season and having 2 capable QB's gives them options and flexibility.

What a joke. Wish Belichick would stop kissing his ass.
I think for several reasons many of us expected this. The kid had a **** ton of reps/throws this week. No reason to announce the starter until...well when the offense takes the field the first time on September 12th.

BB is letting it play out.

One think we know about BB. He never makes a decision until he has to make a decision. When he does, it's quick and decisive.

Very fair point.

I guess I am just being a fan who cannot wait to see what the shiny new toy can do.

I really love the type of player Mac Jones seems to be. I was never a big fan of the super athletic QBs. I think they rely too much on their physical advantages and have a tendency not to make the smart simple play. Sure, it is VERY exciting to watch, but it is also very high risk. In the playoffs, against better competition, those risks will backfire. Even those with great passing skills like Mahomes will do that. Obviously, they also can pull stuff that a guy like Mac could not and win you a game. That being said, I will play the percentages and go with the safer more reliable choice. But that's me and that's how I usually take decisions. I will try to maximize my floor even if I need to sacrifice a little bit of the ceiling. By doing so, I think I am giving myself more chances of success. I think they approach is the same when it comes to choosing a QB... given that the ceilings are somewhat close. You would not pick a game manager over Patrick Mahomes.

Besides Mac, I hope the Patriots D picks up right where it left off yesterday. There is no excuse for our starters not to absolutely smash a Daniel Jones led offense. Some more good news on Barmore would be nice, not that I'm super concerned at this point about him not having an impact. But always nice to read. It's getting to a point where there isn't much more we can expect to change as far as reports. We should have a very good idea on where the needle is pointing for all the starters/main backups. Perhaps the most interesting name to watch outside of the QB battle is Winovich. I'd like to hear about him having 1 more good day before media silence. Just to give me confidence he makes this team, as he should.

Besides Mac, I hope the Patriots D picks up right where it left off yesterday. There is no excuse for our starters not to absolutely smash a Daniel Jones led offense. Some more good news on Barmore would be nice, not that I'm super concerned at this point about him not having an impact. But always nice to read. It's getting to a point where there isn't much more we can expect to change as far as reports. We should have a very good idea on where the needle is pointing for all the starters/main backups. Perhaps the most interesting name to watch outside of the QB battle is Winovich. I'd like to hear about him having 1 more good day before media silence. Just to give me confidence he makes this team, as he should.
Everything I’ve read about Barmore has him dominating whoever they put across from him… can’t ask for more than that.

I think for several reasons many of us expected this. The kid had a **** ton of reps/throws this week. No reason to announce the starter until...well when the offense takes the field the first time on September 12th.

This is the big point to me too. Mac has crammed 6 days worth of throws into the last 3. Let Cam lead off, give them equal reps, and use Cam as a measuring stick to see if Mac's performance yesterday was 100% Mac or partially because the Giants defense isn't as good as we think. Cam leading off today doesn't say anything for future plans.

TBH i'm almost excited about the Barmore reports as I am about the Jones ones.
I like both, the Stevenson productivity could make this draft class a good one. Nixon I think is another season away from getting g a real chance and showing proficiency. I saw him at camp and his routes were sloppy, but the talent is there.

Anyone who doesn't believe that Cam will start on Sunday will be greatly disappointed. Today shows that nothing will make Newton lose the starting job before the start of the season other than a significant injury.

This is the big point to me too. Mac has crammed 6 days worth of throws into the last 3. Let Cam lead off, give them equal reps, and use Cam as a measuring stick to see if Mac's performance yesterday was 100% Mac or partially because the Giants defense isn't as good as we think. Cam leading off today doesn't say anything for future plans.
It maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I think the decision has been made. I think its Mac, but believe they are going to play it status quo until next week. Then will try and keep a lid on things as long as they can. But its BB so I will probably be wrong about one if not both points...

Anyone who doesn't believe that Cam will start on Sunday will be greatly disappointed. Today shows that nothing will make Newton lose the starting job before the start of the season other than a significant injury.
At this point i'm 100% satisfied with what Mac brings to the table. My feeling is if he came into a reg season game he can run the offense with a decent level of proficiency.

Cam.....he needs to win and play well. Much higher bar to attain but that is how starting QBs need to be measured.

I expect Cam will not do one, if not both of those things eventually and Mac will start.

If he plays well, he deserves it. Both QBs have played well, Cam with the slightest of edges in the exhibition games.

Now if Mac starts the Giant’s game, it means Cam is the starter, probably won’t even see Cam vs the Giants, as the Pats will sit out their starters.

At some point this year, Mac will be the starter. I really don’t have faith in Cam, but if he plays well and gets the Pats to the playoffs, I’d be thrilled. It would give Mac time to learn and he’ll take care over next year. I just want the Pats to win.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back