PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots trade up and select DT Christian Barmore

I'm glad this came up because I have some doubts about Saban giving honest opinions on his own players. If it makes Saban's recruiting easier if he has players being drafted into the NYFL then I'm not sure that I trust him.

Yeah I hear you. That was Urban Meyer selling UFlorida junk to Belichick for years. Saban is a real 40 year-long best buddy of Belichick, I don't think he'd steer him wrong. Maybe Cyrus wasn't even on Saban but Bill just talking himself into another bad-eval CB with the dreaded 'can also play special teams' rationale. (And no Reese was there anymore to talk him out of it by then)

I was thinking Easley with better knees. But for all we know, Easley with better knees would have been good.
Easley tuned into a real PITA.

BB and NS are best friends, coached together for years as young men, and obviously have the same personality. Saban might assess wrongly but he is not being dishonest with BB.
Idk why someone would think Saban would be dishonest to anyone?? That's literally the opposite of how it works. Saban has as many connections as the president. You don't get there by lying lol.

Saban is actually notoriously honest ... if you can get in touch with him. He might not take your call or just ignore you if you're not worth his time. He'll never lie bc that's his rep, it isn't worth it.

He'll tell you straight out what he thinks. Not everyone can just call him up like Bill though. Good luck getting out of the doghouse so to speak. Neither forgets a thing.

Last edited:
Idk why someone would think Saban would be dishonest to anyone?? That's literally the opposite of how it works. Saban has as many connections as the president. You don't get there by lying lol.

Saban is actually notoriously honest ... if you can get in touch with him. He might not take your call or just ignore you if you're not worth his time. He'll never lie bc that's his rep isn't worth it.

He'll tell you straight out what he thinks. Not everyone can just call him up like Bill though. Good luck getting out of the doghouse so to speak. Neither forgets a thing.

That is so so so true. Same personality. You will never get out of the doghouse.

Yeah I hear you. That was Urban Meyer selling UFlorida junk to Belichick for years. Saban is a real 40 year-long best buddy of Belichick, I don't think he'd steer him wrong. Maybe Cyrus wasn't even on Saban but Bill just talking himself into another bad-eval CB with the dreaded 'can also play special teams' rationale. (And no Reese was there anymore to talk him out of it by then)

Urbz told Bill that Dunlop was better than Cunningham. So, there’s that

According to Bedard, the real risk in Barmore seems to be tied to non football issues. I hope he has an agent who puts attention and resources into financial management, lifestyle, the friends he chooses, etc.

What I heard was interesting. And I am just passing on the information I received before he landed on the Patriots — there was no anti-New England bias.

“Yeah, we looked hard at him, could use a player like him … Barmore was not for us,” said one team.

What was the issue? I’m not going to divulge specific information to protect my sources and their relationships, but it boils down to this: there are a lot of questions about Barmore’s intelligence and how it might manifest itself once he’s out of the more controlling collegiate environment and has more freedom.

The team that had the late second-round grade on Barmore said that was the earliest they would have been comfortable with the risk.

“Alabama barely held him together,” said an NFC scout. “As a pro, he’s a real wild-card.”

I asked another scout if he had any specifics, and he said that just general accountability — getting to practice and class — was a struggle for him and Barmore has to be in a very tightly controlled environment, like Alabama has, to succeed. Barmore also was in a very heavy rotation — most players with his talent play upwards of 70 percent of snaps. His playing time just kept dropping to about a 50-50 split. That’s very unusual and sent scouts digging for answers.

“I think he’s going to be a big-time bust,” said one scout, again, before the Patriots picked him.

The Patriots have to know all this. Obviously, Nick Saban didn’t completely wave Belichick off Barmore, so there should be some comfort there with the risk.
I'm not not on any Alabama Fan sites (like I am with this one) but I live in AL and follow the Alabama football team fairly closely (just not to the level that I follow the NEP). There are some things about Barmore that look super promising, and some that could be concerning. I'm going to stay away here from the unattributed pre-draft rumors because it is difficult for me to tell apart the true concerns from the negative smoke screens that happen frequently put out by teams hoping to get a player to drop to their draft slot.

Some of the positives are: Really he never got into any trouble like many players do, no DUI, no arrests, no one game suspensions for violating team rules, etc. After redshirting his freshman year and "shining" on the practice squad, the next year he played in most of the games and showed flashes. In his third year as a RS Sophomore, he was slowed by an injury early but played in most games, and ended up starting in (only) five games including the last four, and absolutely dominated in those last four games, winning the Most Valuable Defensive Player award in the National Championship Game and an easy selection as first team All-SEC. So: his ascent in the latter parts of his third year was stunningly impressive.

Some more concerning things were: despite looking like superman in his last four games there is plenty of tape on him where he was not making much of an impact earlier in his career. It is extremely unusual for an Alabama defensive lineman that gets drafted so high to only start 5 games. Usually with most highly regarded and drafted Alabama defensive linemen there is really quite a bit of positive buzz on them "really putting things together" by their second year, and that wasn't the case with him. I've only been able to find one not-so-positive quote from Nick Saban about him, it was in 2019 in his second year, and it said: “The challenge for us has been to get him to do the things that he needs to do relative to the rest of the players on defense,” Saban said. “You can’t have guys that if they’re supposed to slant to the right, slant to the left. That’s when the ball goes out of the gate. And he’s learning that that’s a real critical part of what he needs to do to take the next step as a player, and we certainly need for him to do that. And we’re encouraged by the steps that he’s made to do that. So hopefully, his role will increase for us in the future". So that isn't super negative, but it isn't the type of thing Saban usually says about a future star in their second year.

He clearly has potential and talent, and he really was dominant in the last 4 games of last year against some very, very good teams, including Florida, Notre Dame, and Ohio State (and the latter two really had superb offensive lines). But, he was inconsistent earlier in his career, and sometimes seemed to lack intensity and focus, and nobody is calling him a coach on the field they did Hightower when he was coming out. So: he has potential, let's hope he puts it together and becomes a star for the Patriots.

A DT as coach on the field? C'mon man, since when? and according to all the NFLN "pundits" and knob slobbing Raider cheerleaders, Barmore is nothing more than the 5th or 6th best tackle in the draft. I know I pi$$ a lot of people off when I bring up NFL institutional bias but hear me out...Tom Brady since the early 2000's according to ALL other fanbases as reported by NFLN...""Brady's a nobody...Brady's too skinny...Brady's gay.."Gaydy!! Hahahah I'm so kewl", Brady 's a cheater, Brady will never last because he takes too many hits and he's frail, Brady is getting gunshy, Brady is a metrosexual,Brady can't throw deep passes, Brady can't get any zip on the ball, Brady's receivers always bail him out, Brady is a snob and thinks he too good for everybody because he married a super model, I hate his guts, fairy, fruitcake cliff jumper, "the phone!!! What about the phone!!!", "Mike Kensil said he cheated!!", we hate his hair!!!(no matter what kind of cut over 20 years", "he endorses rich guy products, hate his guts for it!!!", "seeing ghosts!! aha, told you!!!"

I'm sure this only covers about 10% of the ignorant rampant IDIOCY that's been aimed at Tom Brady over his 20 year career here. I expect nothing less from this scumbag NFL media as far as Mac Jones goes...it's ALREADY started if you care to just look and listen to these "experts". This is why Barmore has a ton of warts and faults and every other DT in the draft is way way better because...well...great character, hmmm that's not it, "he took off plays when he was a junior!!!!", he was only a complete beast the last five game of the season in Alabama!!..culmonating in a DOMINANT performance in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!! But all these other DT's are better because? Because a total pretty boy gutless coward Ex-Raider punk QB says so on NFLN and the rest of the knuckle-draggers chime in agreement?

My advice....pay attention to OUR staff and our coach and watch the progess. Stop being influenced by NFLN media turds. It's never going to change until BB is gone or an asteroid takes out 345 Park Avenue (Lord Hear Our Prayer)[/I]

Last edited:
A DT as coach on the field? C'mon man, since when? and according to all the NFLN "pundits" and knob slobbing Raider cheerleader, Barmore is the nothing more than the 5th or 6th best tackle in the draft. I know I pi$$ a lot of people off when I bring up NFL institutional bias but hear me out...Tom Brady since the early 2000's according to ALL other fanbases as reported by NFLN...""Brady's a nobody...Brady's too skinny...Brady's gay.."Gaydy!! Hahahah I'm so kewl", Brady 's a cheater, Brady will never last because he takes too many hits and he's frail, Brady is getting gunshy, Brady is a metrosexual,Brady can't throw deep passes, Brady can't get any zip on the ball, Brady's receivers always bail him out, Brady is a snob and thinks he too good for everybody because he married a super model, I hate his guts, fairy, fruitcake cliff jumper, "the phone!!! What about the phone!!!", "Mike Kensil said he cheated!!", we hate his hair!!!(no matter what kind of cut over 20 years", "he endorses rich guy products, hate his guts for it!!!", "seeing ghosts!! aha, told you!!!"

I'm sure this only covers about 10% of the ignorant rampant IDIOCY that's been aimed at Tom Brady over his 20 year career here. I expect nothing less from this scumbag NFL media as far as Mac Jones goes...it's ALREADY started if you care to just look and listen to these "experts". This is why Barmore has a ton of warts and faults and every other DT in the draft is way way better because...well...great character, hmmm that's not it, "he took off plays when he was a junior!!!!", he was only a complete beast the last five game of the season in Alabama!!..culmonating in a DOMINANT performance in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!! But all these other DT's are better because? Because a total pretty boy gutless coward Ex-Raider punk QB says so on NFLN and the rest of the knuckle-draggers chime in agreement?

My advice....pay attention to OUR staff and our coach and watch the progess. Stop being influenced by NFLN media turds. It's never going to change until BB is gone or an asteroid takes out 345 Park Avenue (Lord Hear Our Prayer)[/I]
WOW...:thumbsup:

Uh...WUT?

Sullivan was acquired in a trade with New Orleans for Bethel Johnson, already having played in the league for 3 seasons...what does this have to do with Barmore?????????????????????????????????? You can say this about ANY interior D lineman the Pats have gotten the last ten years. Barmore has yet to take a snap on defense. If he's a Malcolm Brown WE will find out fast...but don't let any of these blabby blabberers on the Sports Hub or EEI get in your head.

Uh...WUT?

Sullivan was acquired in a trade with New Orleans for Bethel Johnson, already having played in the league for 3 seasons...what does this have to do with Barmore?????????????????????????????????? You can say this about ANY interior D lineman the Pats have gotten the last ten years. Barmore has yet to take a snap on defense. If he's a Malcolm Brown WE will find out fast...but don't let any of these blabby blabberers on the Sports Hub or EEI get in your head.
Easy Joker.

All I'm hoping for is Barmore isn't a bust and waste his talents.

...and I don't listen to sports radio.

Easy Joker.

All I'm hoping for is Barmore isn't a bust and waste his talents.

...and I don't listen to sports radio.
Me three....I'm more jerked off by the NFLN scumbags already spinning their anti-Mac Jones narratives. The bitter, moronic jealousy of these ex-NFL media personalities is repugnant to me. If a punk like David Carr talked shyt to me like he does on NFLN I'd punch his friggin' face in and stomp his cujones so he can't reproduce any more MORONS. I despise that pretty boy, never did anything punk.

Me three....I'm more jerked off by the NFLN scumbags already spinning their anti-Mac Jones narratives. The bitter, moronic jealousy of these ex-NFL media personalities is repugnant to me. If a punk like David Carr talked shyt to me like he does on NFLN I'd punch his friggin' face in and stomp his cujones so he can't reproduce any more MORONS. I despise that pretty boy, never did anything punk.
It's all one big game, Joker. You know that.

Asshats like Felger, Spaz, etc say what they say because they want to rile up the natives.

BSPN, Goodell TV know the NEP are a ratings machine and are feeding it with anti-Patriots crap.

I swear, ever since Covid and no commuting/driving where 98.5/EEI is an option and cutting the cord in favor of Roku/Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime i don't her the noise and it's wonderful.

Yea I try to keep it as close to 100 prospects, keep a small board pretending I'm Bill. I had him on but just thought he'd go round one and things wouldn't line up.
I get this completely, I have an “ off the board” list and then a proxy list, but if they drop during the draft you can reset them in the proxy list. I had Lawrence and Wilson off the board, and Jones behind Fields and Lance on my proxy board draft night, and the both the OTB list, and proxy list. Ultimately he was first on my proxy list, but only because he was a QB, Kwity Paye and Z. Collins were my next two choices. It sucks to reach for need but sometimes there is no better choice.

I get this completely, I have an “ off the board” list and then a proxy list, but if they drop during the draft you can reset them in the proxy list. I had Lawrence and Wilson off the board, and Jones behind Fields and Lance on my proxy board draft night, and the both the OTB list, and proxy list. Ultimately he was first on my proxy list, but only because he was a QB, Kwity Paye and Z. Collins were my next two choices. It sucks to reach for need but sometimes there is no better choice.
This is a good idea. I might do it next year if I remember. Nothing wrong with resetting after the first round with new info. I like it.

A DT as coach on the field? C'mon man, since when? and according to all the NFLN "pundits" and knob slobbing Raider cheerleaders, Barmore is nothing more than the 5th or 6th best tackle in the draft. I know I pi$$ a lot of people off when I bring up NFL institutional bias but hear me out...Tom Brady since the early 2000's according to ALL other fanbases as reported by NFLN...""Brady's a nobody...Brady's too skinny...Brady's gay.."Gaydy!! Hahahah I'm so kewl", Brady 's a cheater, Brady will never last because he takes too many hits and he's frail, Brady is getting gunshy, Brady is a metrosexual,Brady can't throw deep passes, Brady can't get any zip on the ball, Brady's receivers always bail him out, Brady is a snob and thinks he too good for everybody because he married a super model, I hate his guts, fairy, fruitcake cliff jumper, "the phone!!! What about the phone!!!", "Mike Kensil said he cheated!!", we hate his hair!!!(no matter what kind of cut over 20 years", "he endorses rich guy products, hate his guts for it!!!", "seeing ghosts!! aha, told you!!!"

I agree completely. Sometimes rumors can be totally false and just BS.

Example: some analyst claiming Mac only made 50% of his 2nd read throws. Doesn't even make sense mathematically... ! Or citing Mac's 19 year old dui to say he's like Johnny Manziel. Um, nope.

Example2: some analyst claiming Justin Fields only made 1st read throws. Again total garbage and lazy analysis and rumors that then get propagated by self proclaimed draft pundits across various discussion board team sites.

Example3: Brady dropping to 199 because he was slow and didn't look the part, but also because people randomly made up reasons to explain why he split time with Drew Henson as some sort of red flag.

Example4: People flipping out when Richard Seymour was picked and saying Seymour was lazy in college.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back