PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for WR Brandin Cooks (NO BUTLER INVOLVED). Gave up 1st & 3rd rounder for Cooks + 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy ****, Bill is loading up. Must mean Butler stays. Now, we don't have a pick until the third round, I really hope we trade Jimmy.
It doesn't necessarily mean that at all. There are rumors they're still talking to NO about trading Butler to them.

IDK how i feel about this yet. Now they HAVE to win in the next 2 years. They are letting some very good prospects slip through their fingers this year to do this so they need to really make it work.

Winning football games and Super Bowls

The matchup lists aren't endless, but imagine the flexibility against whatever opponents may try throwing at them:

Edelman
Cooks
Hogan
Mitchell
WR5
Gronk
Allen
Lewis
White

You cannot play zone against Brady (assuming he's still Brady) with that list of weapons, you can baby the hell out of pretty much every offensive skill player because of the depth, and who's going to be able to stop that group man-to-man if Gronk and Cooks are healthy?

Specific numbers don't really matter. What matters is that the Patriots biggest offensive weakness (getting open against press man in games against the top defenses) will not exist if Gronk, Edelman and Cooks can stay healthy.

This may not be the greatest offense ever assembled, but it at least has the potential to score the most points ever.

I've read your posts in this thread. I'm happy to agree that the team still has needs. I'm happier to see that they've, at least theoretically, FINALLY fixed the freakin' middle-deep problem.

Really good post.

Cooks always seemed like an "indoor player" to me. He lit it up in the Superdome, plus that one Cardinals game...

Hopefully the cold weather doesn't bother him
Yeah, there might be some valid concerns here, but to me it boils down to this: the Pats targeted Cooks (we heard rumblings of this trade for a while), and they gave up a lot for him. For them to be so aggressive must mean that they've identified something in particular that they really love about him. What I think we do as well as anyone is identify player strengths and maximize them with our scheme. I think Cooks will absolutely kill it here

Excellent insight as always.

So why didn't they want to pay him?

Because the Saints haven't managed their cap as well as the Patriots. Their defense sucks and they wanted to add a cheap cost controlled player to try and improve it.

That's also why I can see why they wanted Butler and still likely do. If they throw big money at anyone it would be a high end defensive player like Butler.

Not doubt, but Cooks isn't going to help that issue if he's gone in 2 years if BB doesn't keep him at over $16MM./yr That's ASSUMING he's successful over the next 2 years.

Remember as it stand right now, this team won't have a first round pick 2 years in a row, and even though it's not much of a first round pick, our best pick over 2 seasons is going be Cyrus Jones at #60. That is NOT how you build through the draft for long term success.

We need help on defense in a draft that is deep EXACTLY where we need help. Now we will have little in the way of draft capital to take advantage of this opportunity, all for a WR who is likely to be gone in 2 years.

Cooks will be extended.

Jimmy will fetch picks.

BB is moving chess pieces as we speak.

Thanks Im trying , watched this kid for awhile
Look Ill quiet the cooks attitude very simply. I think if Cooks made only 800 yards a season but the team won he would very happy, but disappointed in himself. But when he bust his ass to win and D fails to win games hes going to be mad. Sound like someone you know? errr TB? lol
Hes not going to be happy in a system when you lose alot

I like hogan. Not sure why folks say, now brady has a vertical threat....

Probably because so much of Hogans production comes off of mistakes. Ironically he will have even more opportunities now. With Gronk, Edelman, and Cooks on the field the rest of the skill players are going to have free room to go nuts.!

I'm not bashing Hogan I just think it would be different if defense's were trying to scheme to stop him.

I pity the fools who have to stop them.

Because the Saints haven't managed their cap as well as the Patriots. Their defense sucks and they wanted to add a cheap cost controlled player to try and improve it.

That's also why I can see why they wanted Butler and still likely do. If they throw big money at anyone it would be a high end defensive player like Butler.
So technically they've managed their cap space but the problem is spending in the right areas?

They have two good CBs now. They need a pass rush and to stop the run.

Malcolm is not the answer to their defensive woes.

@pherein accurate?

I don't fully agree with your logic @patfanken . The Patriots are the SB champs and praises never been higher about Brady and BB.

Cooks first reaction seemed genuinely enthusiastic. Plus, here's what could happen:

Next year, Cooks could be 24 fresh of a SB win while looking for his second contract. We are talking about legacy (he could still evolve and develop) and money.

I agree that it was expensive and it could backfire or simply not have the desired return, but I bet every team is out there sweating on the perspective of facing us.

I absolutely LOVE this deal for many reasons. Chiefly: 1) Butler was not involved and 2) we're "loading up" while Brady is still kickin'. September can't come soon enough!!!

Is this what going all in feels like?

Thanks Im trying , watched this kid for awhile
Look Ill quiet the cooks attitude very simply. I think if Cooks made only 800 yards a season but the team won he would very happy, but disappointed in himself. But when he bust his ass to win and D fails to win games hes going to be mad. Sound like someone you know? errr TB? lol
Hes not going to be happy in a system when you lose alot
Sounds like a Corey Dillon or Randy Moss

I can live with that.

I like hogan. Not sure why folks say, now brady has a vertical threat....
Yup. And there's also the impact a returning Gronk will have on further opening up the passing game. I'm still trying to rationalize the priority given this "luxury" trade when this team needs linebackers and a running back.

Well I guess we got the answer to when would the Pats lose the 4th round pick. Apparently it won't be until draft day.

For a team that had their 4th round pick stolen and wasn't allowed to trade for a higher pick or it would be confiscated, BB is sure dping a lot of 4th round pick trading.

Almost seems like BB is doing this, in part, to tweak the NFL* for Defamegate.

I would love for them to be explaining all of this on draft night, which would expose how vindictive the NFL* has been with the Pats, but like the NFL* editing out the Goodell booing in their Superbowl LI video, they will probably put the word out to NFL*N and their partner in crime, ESPN, to not talk about it.

s Irae, post: 4987257, member: 5686"]Winning football games and Super Bowls.
Thank, now that was profound. ;)

The matchup lists aren't endless, but imagine the flexibility against whatever opponents may try throwing at them:

Edelman
Cooks
Hogan
Mitchell
WR5
Gronk
Allen
Lewis
White

You cannot play zone against Brady (assuming he's still Brady) with that list of weapons, you can baby the hell out of pretty much every offensive skill player because of the depth, and who's going to be able to stop that group man-to-man if Gronk and Cooks are healthy?.
Hey I get the fact that given the increased use of press man coverage there is a premium on receivers who can create separation through size speed or quickness, and Cooks is one of those guys. But I would counter by saying despite all the our current WR's who supposedly can't do that, we somehow managed almost 600 yds against EXACTLY that style of defense.

It's not that I don't want more guys who can beat man coverage, its the cost, both short term and long, for a improvement that I wonder we will see. For example I would have rather kept those picks and signed Floyd who is receiver who, while quite different from Cooks, can create separation by raw speed and size.

Specific numbers don't really matter. What matters is that the Patriots biggest offensive weakness (getting open against press man in games against the top defenses) will not exist if Gronk, Edelman and Cooks can stay healthy..
I thought we played most of the best defenses in the league last season and did pretty well. Didn't we have the 2nd best scoring average in the league just slightly behind a historically great offense.

Again how much better will it get. Is this addition going to propel Brady to be better than 14-1? Or 6000 yds, 40 points a game. If the latter is true, then maybe I'll agree with you.

This may not be the greatest offense ever assembled, but it at least has the potential to score the most points ever..
see above

I've read your posts in this thread. I'm happy to agree that the team still has needs. I'm happier to see that they've, at least theoretically, FINALLY fixed the freakin' middle-deep problem.
I'm happy you're happy. It's just that I've never had a problem with "freakin' deep-middle" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes