PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for WR Brandin Cooks (NO BUTLER INVOLVED). Gave up 1st & 3rd rounder for Cooks + 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all that is holy good god in heaven!
I'm in the midst of the Ealy bender!
I'm spent...Amazing....Stunning...Literally ****ting my drunken pants!

I have a question. Rumour was Titans were in too, why didn't the Saints accept their first rounder (is it that obvious either they were not in it or didn't offer a first)

If the Titans did offer a first, a better first.. then I would go out on a limb to say that Butler is going to the Saints when Butler signs his offer sheet.
I think because BB is a friend of SP, so always in the inside track. I mean guys talked all the time when working with the giants. So there is history.

My gut says Butler won't be traded. Think that's just some posturing. Think Saints are more inclined to draft 2 1st round defenders that are cost controlled for 5 years.

I mean they could realistically get Humphrey or Lattimore at #11 and then a pass rusher like Tim Williams at #32 and both be a combined $5-6m cap hit for the next 4 years.

Then again that could just be my hopes of a Butler/Gilmore CB duo for next season.

Last edited:
Get #11 and take Watson MUAHAHAHA

Cooks, Edleman, Hogan, Mitchell, Amedola, Gronk, Allen, Dion Lewis, James White....wow, just wow....this has to be the most talent we've ever had on the offensive side of the ball.

Hes the best player Ive seen in years. Im serious. Last time I said that when I watched AP run. This kid has got it all. Hes touph, serious, endurance,speed, drive, determination, moves, blind sight. Hes really really good. Better julio jones of falcons, because he has RB ability after the catch. Cooks could be a very good RB. Thats unheard of for a WR. Hes elite in my book and can come close to some of the greats or maybe even beat them. I think BB saw what I saw. Im sure he was on the sidelines thinking wow how do we cover this kid. If the Saints had a D we'd be shredded.
Hes a game changer. Teams will have to respect him or get killed, because he will go all out every play and bullies CB's, you can see him push cornerbacks around.
Im thinking you got your 2nd Moss and young, he desurves the money, and NE is where he belongs.

Cooks is a winner so you can imagine doing 1000-1500 yds a year and going 7-9. He wants to win. Im sure hed play defence if it would help. Hes very diven and young but doesnt like to lose. His comments were general and said he loved everyone on the offense, loves Brees alot. So, I think it was him mad at defence and ST losing games. Dont worry hes a team player. I think he just gets frustrated that D keeps losing games and we have to put up 35pts to win.

Excellent insight as always.

So why didn't they want to pay him?

but to what end.

Winning football games and Super Bowls

How much more is he going to "spread the defense" than Hogan did?

The matchup lists aren't endless, but imagine the flexibility against whatever opponents may try throwing at them:

Edelman
Cooks
Hogan
Mitchell
WR5
Gronk
Allen
Lewis
White

You cannot play zone against Brady (assuming he's still Brady) with that list of weapons, you can baby the hell out of pretty much every offensive skill player because of the depth, and who's going to be able to stop that group man-to-man if Gronk and Cooks are healthy?

How many more yards can he add to the 293 Brady already averaged last season,

Specific numbers don't really matter. What matters is that the Patriots biggest offensive weakness (getting open against press man in games against the top defenses) will not exist if Gronk, Edelman and Cooks can stay healthy.

and finally how many more points.

This may not be the greatest offense ever assembled, but it at least has the potential to score the most points ever.

See my post on pg 15, I try to explain it better there (though I'm not sure I did as well as I would have liked)

I've read your posts in this thread. I'm happy to agree that the team still has needs. I'm happier to see that they've, at least theoretically, FINALLY fixed the freakin' middle-deep problem.

My gut says Butler won't be traded. Think that's just some posturing. Think Saints are more inclined to draft 2 1st round defenders that are cost controlled for 5 years.

I mean they could realistically get Humphrey or Lattimore at #11 and then a pass rusher like Tim Williams at #32.

Then again that could just be my hopes of a Butler/Gilmore CB duo for next season.

Butler, Rowe, Gilmore, McCourty, Harmon and Chung, that's quite the secondary.

I wonder exactly what Atlanta expose. Are you forgetting we put almost 600 yds of offense on them DESPITE sucking in the first half. And all Houston exposed is we might need some OL help. How did this trade help us with that?
Cooks will make life a bit easier on our 40 year old QB. So with Brady aging, Cooks might just negate things a bit..Something to consider...

I know some people covet high draft picks and all but if you follow the patriots you know how overrated they are. We can still find gems in the later rounds plus I would rather have actual 1st and 2nd rnd talent like Cooks and ealy than perceived talent from high draft picks. Trust BB, he wants to win more than any of us.

Trade Butler for the 11th and Garop for the 1st. Draft Barnett and Garrett. Crazy stuff. Make it happen BB;)

JE11 is FA after this year and DA is 32.

That is why this trade was made.

Always be a year early and never a year late
Not doubt, but Cooks isn't going to help that issue if he's gone in 2 years if BB doesn't keep him at over $16MM./yr That's ASSUMING he's successful over the next 2 years.

Remember as it stand right now, this team won't have a first round pick 2 years in a row, and even though it's not much of a first round pick, our best pick over 2 seasons is going be Cyrus Jones at #60. That is NOT how you build through the draft for long term success.

We need help on defense in a draft that is deep EXACTLY where we need help. Now we will have little in the way of draft capital to take advantage of this opportunity, all for a WR who is likely to be gone in 2 years.

The WR3 camp battle between Mitchell & Hogan should be interesting. Hogan seems like Cooks' backup at this point.

I wonder exactly what Atlanta expose. Are you forgetting we put almost 600 yds of offense on them DESPITE sucking in the first half. And all Houston exposed is we might need some OL help. How did this trade help us with that?

We have issues with good man coverage. Look at the Denver game even. There is room for improvement. If you stand pat in this league - you lose.

Oh, yeah... I don't remember if I posted this or not, so...

xRyEr.gif

Well now the thread is on page 11 and likely will be at 15 by the time I finish this post.

I didn't like the trade on page one and like it less now that it is still possible that Butler will be part of it. But even if he ends up here, I still don't like it. Cooks is a luxury we simply don't need, and certainly not at the cost of our top 2 draft picks, and NOT at the eventual cost (after 2 years) he will become.

Think about it this way. With the current WR corps and Gronk missing all but 3 of his games Brady still averaged just over 292 yds per game. Over a 16 game season that projects to over 4700yd for the year. His best year was 5200 and he only approached 5000 yds 2 other times (4800 in 2007, 4770 in 2015). So I ask you exactly how much better is Cooks going to make Brady.

I'm worried that this trade isn't about adding MORE actual yards on offense because for every catch Cooks makes it is more likely he is taking away receptions from someone else rather than adding to the bottom line. When you are at 95% of your best, the room to improve becomes marginal.

So will Cooks make the offense more explosive? Sure. Will he make it harder to defend? It would seem so. But will he add to the real bottom line scoring and more importantly winning games enough to make it worth the 2 players who might have filled needs on the DL or LB.

Sorry, but I guess this will make all the WR lovers happy, but I still see the position as being the most easily replaceable one (outside of FB) on offense. I know we have to get younger at the position and create a succession for DA and Edelman, but in just 2 years when Edelman is likely done, this kid is going to be asking for 16+MM to stick around. That is NOT a great succession plan. This kid is just a binky, only this time it's Bill's binky, so here he is.

About the only thing that makes sense to me right now is trading JG and geting those picks back. If not, then it's a good thing we've "won FA" because we sure as hell not going to win the draft. Also to me at least we really need to re-sign Floyd now because we now need more size on the outside.

So enjoy your celebration. I'll be here still trying to grasp exactly what you are celebrating about.

EDIT: I nailed it, page 15 :D
who says butler is a part of it what source? that would be insane. talk about getting raped. a 1st 3rd and butler. that's just nuts.

Cooks, Edleman, Hogan, Mitchell, Amedola, Gronk, Allen, Dion Lewis, James White....wow, just wow....this has to be the most talent we've ever had on the offensive side of the ball.

Will cook "pout" if he does not get the ball? Patriots Spread the ball around like the Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes