PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Ravens CB Shaun Wade

Maybe JoeJuan, maybe Bryant, but I wouldn't assume this guy makes it. What I've read says he's the only Ravens CB in camp who *wasn't* tearing it up.

Depending on the compensation, it seems odd to trade for a guy this late in camp, only to cut him later. I mean, they have to cut down to 53 in 5 days. Are they going to learn enough about him in 5 days to make that decision?

I was screaming at the TV for the Pats to grab Wade in the later rounds - worth a shot. He sleep-walked through last year...first opted out, then back in, and never looked good at all - also had turf toe.

Surprised the Ravens would let him go, so that alone makes you wonder.

But the high-end potential for this kid was off the charts - see below:

Depending on the compensation, it seems odd to trade for a guy this late in camp, only to cut him later. I mean, they have to cut down to 53 in 5 days. Are they going to learn enough about him in 5 days to make that decision?
Like you said, it depends on the compensation. Someone here said we gave up a reserve OL player, so it was probably someone we would have cut (if that's true).

EDIT: It wasn't true. We gave up a 2022 7 and a 2023 5. Seems like compensation for a guy you intend to keep but not out of the cuttable realm.

Last edited:
Surprised the Ravens would let him go, so that alone makes you wonder.

That's my concern...the Ravens have CB depth, and it's a reasonable presumption they had slotted Wade as a developmental player...very high upside drafted in the 5th round. It certainly makes me think the Ravens no longer think he's worth a fifth round pick based on what they've seen of him. We've seen talented players turn it around in New England (Aqib Talib comes to mind), but the move seems strange unless, as someone pointed out, perhaps they have a totally different idea of how to use him, like at Safety. Based on their CB situation, it seems they'd want someone who can contribute immediately.

His old Coach is just up the road now in chestnut hill, too!

I live in Ohio and saw all the Buckeye games last season. Wade was really awful.

You don't suppose this move is more about special teams, do you? Maybe Slater retiring? It wouldn't be the first time they've gone to the Ravens for a ST guy.

1630001904390.png

Possible interpretations:
  • Gilmore is hurt long term, or at least a few games
  • Gilmore is going to be traded
  • Jones is hurt long term, or at least a few games
  • The Pats were approached by the Ravens about a reserve OL, and asked for this guy in return
  • The Pats really liked this guy coming out, saw he was going to be buried on the bench by the Ravens, asked them about him, and gave up an OL they were going to cut anyway
  • The Pats are down on one or more of their young CB's
  • One of the two players involved needs a change of scenery for reasons we'll probably never know about
  • Edit for Ice comment above: Slater is retiring
What else?

I found his pro day online. Ran a 4.44 while still recovering from injury. So good size and speed, can tackle, even had a QB sack, just had a bad final year. Let’s see what he can do. We’ve had 2 recent UDFA play at Pro Bowl levels (Butler & Jackson), maybe they can coach the kid up to his full potential. So far has played well in the preseason.

Possible interpretations:
  • Gilmore is hurt long term, or at least a few games
  • Gilmore is going to be traded
  • Jones is hurt long term, or at least a few games
  • The Pats were approached by the Ravens about a reserve OL, and asked for this guy in return
  • The Pats really liked this guy coming out, saw he was going to be buried on the bench by the Ravens, asked them about him, and gave up an OL they were going to cut anyway
  • The Pats are down on one or more of their young CB's
  • One of the two players involved needs a change of scenery for reasons we'll probably never know about
  • Edit for Ice comment above: Slater is retiring
What else?
Real interpretation
Wade is a good football player with a bright future at a position that requires a bunch if depth who will also be a special teams stud and he was available for cheap

Real interpretation
Wade is a good football player with a bright future at a position that requires a bunch if depth who will also be a special teams stud and he was available for cheap

So, fifth on the list.

You don't suppose this move is more about special teams, do you? Maybe Slater retiring? It wouldn't be the first time they've gone to the Ravens for a ST guy.

View attachment 34993
I don't think so. With the Gilmore situation unsettled and Jonathan Jones getting banged up today, I believe this move is about CB depth.

For Wade, the Ravens are getting from the Patriots a 7th-round pick in 2022 and a 5th-round pick in 2023.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back