PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Carolina DE Kony Ealy

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been a dissapointment. How's this guy worth a second rounder? Bill must not like the players in this draft. So now they only have a first rounder and a bunch of 3rd round picks. This guy's similar to sheard. I don't see the big excitement here.

Couldn't he have gotten him for a 3rd rounder?
Not sure if someone already responded to this, if so sorry for piling on but he moved down 8 picks... dont pretend he gave up a second rounder.

My new binky.

All in with this guy.
(If things go well, please don't be 1 and done Kony)

Remember the team that gave up 8 draft spots, for you. #theft

Last edited:
Great trade. You can't find decent DE these days for sub-1 million in free agency.

I apologize if this has already been posted but I did not see it. I know there are several stories similar to this, but I challenge anyone to root against this guy after watching this video. I dont care if he ever gets a sack as a Patriot, he's a winner in my book already.

NFL 360: Sacks for Sierra with Kony Ealy
Thanks for posting that!

Some comments on the comments:

1. This is typical BB. When I first saw this it was being reported on NFL.com as the Pats trading a 2nd for Ealy. Clearly that was in error. By moving down 8 slots the Pats will essentially be picking from the same talent pool level that they would have had at 64 and the Pathers will be able to tell their fans they traded Ealy for a 2nd and only had to give up a 3rd in return. :rolleyes:

2. I think of this as a solid move. We have to admit Ealy has underperformed his expectations, given his measurables and draft position. He's been OK, but not great. Anyone expecting more than 5-6 sacks from a potential rotational DE/OLB is being overly optimistic.

I see him as right now being a slight step down from what we got from Chris Long, BUT with an upside. He's going into his contract year with everything to gain by having a great year. His cap costs for this season is another plus, vs the $8/mm year the Colts got for Sheard.

On the down side, it could be a one year rental. But that's the only downside I can see. Right now, we partially solved one critical need in replacing Sheard and Long. I'm hoping this will end up being better than I expect, and wind up like the Anderson deal was back a few years ago.

3. From the Carolina point of view, they got "some" value for an underperforming asset that they WEREN'T going to resign after this year. Also, IIRC, they just added two DE's out of FA, so Ealy was the odd man out.

4. Odrick was mention a couple of time in this thread and I had a couple of thoughts on him. Odrick is more of a typical 3-4 DE coming into the league. More of a power guy than a speed one. I can still see him coming here if his market doesn't get too high. Because with him on the roster it will give Patricia the flexibility to use the 3-4 as an option. Without Odrick I'm not sure we have a guy who could fill that role. With him I can see a group of Brown, Valentine/Branch, Odrick trio that would be formidable trio if Matt wanted to use some 3-4 looks Just a thought.

5. Bottom line - A solid deal, and a good start to rebuilding that DE corps, but it probably shouldn't be overly hyped. (unless it makes you feel good. ;) )

Can't wait to see what the Colts will pay Sheard...hehehe. Another comp pick is coming.

In the meantime, consider this: Pats got Mingo for a 5th round pick and paid him the last year of his rookie deal, then let him walk.

The Colts paid him 2.5 million this FA, which will give the Pats a 6th round comp pick, likely.

Meanwhile, the Pats grab Ealy, who will fill a much bigger role, for 8 spots in the draft and under 1m and it will cost them no comps.

Unbelievable.

And if Ealy leaves via Free Agency next year and some team signs him to a big contract then Patriots will get a Comp Pick.
<INSERT EVIL LAUGH HERE>

Some comments on the comments:

1. This is typical BB. When I first saw this it was being reported on NFL.com as the Pats trading a 2nd for Ealy. Clearly that was in error. By moving down 8 slots the Pats will essentially be picking from the same talent pool level that they would have had at 64 and the Pathers will be able to tell their fans they traded Ealy for a 2nd and only had to give up a 3rd in return. :rolleyes:

2. I think of this as a solid move. We have to admit Ealy has underperformed his expectations, given his measurables and draft position. He's been OK, but not great. Anyone expecting more than 5-6 sacks from a potential rotational DE/OLB is being overly optimistic.

I see him as right now being a slight step down from what we got from Chris Long, BUT with an upside. He's going into his contract year with everything to gain by having a great year. His cap costs for this season is another plus, vs the $8/mm year the Colts got for Sheard.

On the down side, it could be a one year rental. But that's the only downside I can see. Right now, we partially solved one critical need in replacing Sheard and Long. I'm hoping this will end up being better than I expect, and wind up like the Anderson deal was back a few years ago.

3. From the Carolina point of view, they got "some" value for an underperforming asset that they WEREN'T going to resign after this year. Also, IIRC, they just added two DE's out of FA, so Ealy was the odd man out.

4. Odrick was mention a couple of time in this thread and I had a couple of thoughts on him. Odrick is more of a typical 3-4 DE coming into the league. More of a power guy than a speed one. I can still see him coming here if his market doesn't get too high. Because with him on the roster it will give Patricia the flexibility to use the 3-4 as an option. Without Odrick I'm not sure we have a guy who could fill that role. Just a thought.

5. Bottom line - A solid deal, and a good start to rebuilding that DE corps, but it probably shouldn't be overly hyped. (unless it makes you feel good. ;) )
Great post with all very valid points, but besides it "making me feel good" I believe a new culture, in the Pats locker room, with their coaching staff this guy will really bloom.
Extremely low risk, with exponential rewards.

Love it. Low cost way of getting a starting caliber DE for this team, and it also eases up on some of the "Patriots NEED to draft an edge rusher with their first pick!" talk that happens every year.

Contract year for Ealy, only dropping 11 spots. Excellent.

So we going to go crazy over that one game? Potential. He has potential. I basically see this as sheard coming to new england to play.
They got him for basically nothing, is the point.

Pats can have 4thrd compensatory with Sheard signing with Colts
If Ealy has a good year they could get a comp pick for him too.

Love it. Low cost way of getting a starting caliber DE for this team, and it also eases up on some of the "Patriots NEED to draft an edge rusher with their first pick!" talk that happens every year.
Not necessarily. What could be better than having our first round pick be a DE who we can afford to let gestate as the #4 DE in the rotation, and them be ready to take on a major role in year two. Don't forget that if Ealy has a good a year as Sheard did his first year, then he's likely to wind up being a one year rental.

I thought Sheard was incredible his first year and was making plays better than even Collins was at that point but he REALLY dropped off last year.

I still like him but not at the cost that indy paid. Ealy at that price is an absolute steal with tonnes of upside

Pats can have 4thrd compensatory with Sheard signing with Colts
Not sure how that works. Right now the Pats added one guy at $13mm/yr, and lost 2 guys at 10, and 8MM/yr. Also IIRC, they factor in playing time, and we still know know exactly how any of those contracts are actually structured on even what they really worth.

The point being we are way too early in trying to predict any comp picks we might get out of this FA period.

Was never real high on ealy, but bringing him in for 8 draft spots? I'm definitely good with that. Maybe Trey can teach him a thing or two. Yep, I'm all in on the trey train. I'll also keep my hope alive that we resign High and he plays more on the edge opposite Trey, and a JG trade results in us drafting Reuben Foster to play the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back