PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for Carolina DE Kony Ealy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.. Hope that the Patriots get Ealy signed to an extension this year.. would hate for him to be a 1 year rental..

That being said, even if they Franchised Ealy next year, he'd still be a damn good 2 year bargain.

Last edited:
I like the Ealy deal as much as the next guy, but one thing is sticking in my mind. The NFL is a league where good pass rushers are Kings. Next to the QB there is no other skill that is more valued. So one HAS to ask, "why did the Panther's feel the need to bring in TWO FA edge rushers, if this kid was ANY good?". I mean they gave him away for a bag of donuts, and a pat on the back.

So for that reason, I'm going scale back my optimism and expectations of Ealy a lot, and just hope for the best. In fact I'm wondering if BB doesn't think the Grissom is ready to make the "flower's leap", and actually BE that rotational pass rusher we so desperately need, and Ealy was just a shot in the dark

The next best thing would he hear reports that Ninko was spotted eating avacado ice cream and working out with stretch bands. :D

I like the Ealy deal as much as the next guy, but one thing is sticking in my mind. The NFL is a league where good pass rushers are Kings. Next to the QB there is no other skill that is more valued. So one HAS to ask, "why did the Panther's feel the need to bring in TWO FA edge rushers, if this kid was ANY good?". I mean they gave him away for a bag of donuts, and a pat on the back.

So for that reason, I'm going scale back my optimism and expectations of Ealy a lot, and just hope for the best. In fact I'm wondering if BB doesn't think the Grissom is ready to make the "flower's leap", and actually BE that rotational pass rusher we so desperately need, and Ealy was just a shot in the dark

The next best thing would he hear reports that Ninko was spotted eating avacado ice cream and working out with stretch bands. :D

Grissom aint gonna be **** except for a special teamer. Flowers showed promiss his rookie year but he just got injured. Grissom has never shown anything. I think Ealy will just be a rotational guy with some upside.

No reason to think Grissom will be anything. We got a good deal on an average player in Ealy who didn't have much trade value heading into his final year. It is what it is.

No reason to think Grissom will be anything. We got a good deal on an average player in Ealy who didn't have much trade value heading into his final year. It is what it is.
No reason except his measurables are actually better than Flowers. He has the length and long arms you look for in a good pass rusher, as well as the speed. Remember he had Long, Sheard, Ninko and Flowers all ahead of him last season, so obviously his opportunities were very limited.

Now a lot of those impediments are gone, he has another year under his belt in the system, and he ALSO is entering his contract year, so he has EVERY reason to make a leap and become what the Pats hoped for when they drafted him ahead of Flowers.

Me I'm just hoping he'll become the 4th guy in the rotation and a capable situational player with say 4 or 5 sacks and 3o+ pressures. Anything over that would be gravy. You know you never know just when a guy is going to break out. Just look at the Buffalo LB who waited until he was 32.

Pats are picking up experienced players that are still coming into their prime and have an NFL history...that I like ... Can they fit into the Patriot's system is the only question......

Using the draft is getting a pig in a poke a lot of times with rookies.....especially in later rounds...hit or miss....

I like the idea that BB is building the team for Brady's final year(s) to try and grab that one last Ring/Lombardi (or two) ... :cool:

No reason except his measurables are actually better than Flowers. He has the length and long arms you look for in a good pass rusher, as well as the speed. Remember he had Long, Sheard, Ninko and Flowers all ahead of him last season, so obviously his opportunities were very limited.
He's had two years, done nothing and was cut once last year. No-one picked him up. He may surprise but it would be a BIG surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft