PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for 49er's OT Trent Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no certainty in any of this, especially on the part of the coaches. Let's review the things they and we DON'T know:
  • How the health and strength of Garcia will develop and unfold in the coming months
  • If he's healthy, whether Garcia can become a starting caliber OT
  • What Mason wants for a contract going forward
  • How the other young project OL's already on the roster will develop
  • How Wynn will develop, both as an interior lineman and an OT
  • If Cannon makes it through the season healthy
  • The degree to which Brown will commit himself to conditioning
  • What Brown wants for a long term deal going forward
  • If/how any and all of the returning starters will improve or regress next year
I'm sure there' s more to be listed.

The coaches aren't sitting around trying to project certainty into any of this. They are assembling as much talent as they can to create competition in camp, depth in the season, and the best starting 5 (and rotational 8) that comes out of that. They have a hunch (and hopes) about the bulleted items above, but they aren't counting on anything. They are just trying to improve the odds on good offensive line talent, leading to good offensive line play.

There is more certainty expressed on this Board about what will happen than is expressed in the Pats' offices.

I understand the point you're making. Here is my point. What you just did could be done for any positional group on the team.

It's true the OL has some unknowns and variables without Solder here. We don't know what Garcia will do. We don't know where Brown fits. Can Wynn play LT or will he play guard? We have no certainty about any of it. That's true.

What we do have certainty about is we have 4 of 5 starters coming back. Wynn at guard projects to be as good as Mason if we want him there (which would likely give us the same production as a starter) and at LT Garcia/Brown give us 2 shots.

We have a lot of talent in that area and a number of backup plans and solutions right now.

That can not be said for a lot of other spots. LB? We have 2 starters and if Hightower goes down Van Noy can't do much by himself.

CB? McCourty is no Butler (even last year's Butler) talent wise or skill wise and we have no reason to have any faith in any backup there. If someone thinks McCourty will be as good as Butler explain to me why Butler is making 5 times more money. It seems GMs around the league disagree.

We had no pass rush last year when it mattered most. The DTs generated little to no pass rush most of the year and particularly not in the playoffs.

Also we have no idea how long Brady will play for and no heir.

The issues at these other spots make the OL issues IMO look small time at the moment. If we can move some of our value from the OL to these other positions it's something we should definitely consider doing. I'm not even saying we need to do it now.

I am happy to see how the 2nd round plays out. Maybe we make 2 big time home run defensive picks that solve a lot of these issues. If not then it is at least a move they should consider very strongly. I am not saying the OL doesn't matter because with a 41 year old QB it matters very much. I am saying we can't just worry about having depth and back ups at one position to the detriment of others.

Last edited:
Well, y'know, it's entirely possible that after literally years of intense study of all the QBs who were available in this draft, the Pats came to the conclusion that none of them would really help and decided, instead, to build a better team around whoever the QB is so that even Hoyer would have chance to be competitive, if it came to that.

But, hell, what do they know, right?
lol pathetic. basically what your saying is they are never wrong lol. josh drafted tim tebow in the 1st rd. lol. cmon you can do better than this.

You banking on Shelton to be the player he was in college and maybe a different system he will be that. I am talking abou clayborn

I never "bank" on anything. If you do, well ....

With Shelton, I suspect that, in the Pats scheme, he'll the opportunity to perform more like he did his first two years in the league - when the Browns were running a 2-gapping 3-4 base, and before Gregg Williams took over at DC and installed an aggressive, 1-gapping 4-3 base.

The Pats' current hybrid base scheme employs NTs (Shelton, Branch, Valentine, and Wilfork before them) in much the same way that NTs are used in a pure, 2-gapping 3-4. Whereas, when Williams installed his 4-3, Shelton suddenly became a round peg in a square hole.

Sorry, I assumed you understood about those scheme differences and Shelton's role.

Anyway, I kinda wish you had been more specific about which defensive lineman you were referring to. WRT Clayborn, then, he's a solid, consistent, veteran edge player who will anchor one end of the line, get some decent pressure and not be a liability against the run. At the very least, he'll be that "lunchpail guy" who locks down one edge so the the other guys can make plays.

He's signed for two seasons, presumably so that he can be steadying presence in the transition between this season, with Flowers at the other end, and the 2019 season, with whoever may replace Flowers when he leaves in free agency.

they have no future at qb. ours is 41. one injury away from brian hoyer. its not about this year. its about 2 years from now. call me crazy.
Not crazy maybe a little insano.

Thankfully they don't have to play a game two years from now for another 2 years.

So funny how a guy 6-8 355lbs can be allegedly a sub-standard run blocker

Cannot believe I just read about 40 posts telling me what Von Miller thinks about Brown, with each post saying.. sorry if already posted. How about reading the thread first you lazy bastards lol or at the very least the latest fricken page. haha rant over

Not crazy maybe a little insano.

Thankfully they don't have to play a game two years from now for another 2 years.
your right. it's not like they should draft one now so he can learn and develop under Brady bb and josh. let's just wait till they are gone. draft a QB and just throw him in there. that will work perfectly. :rolleyes:

lol pathetic. basically what your saying is they are never wrong lol. josh drafted tim tebow in the 1st rd. lol. cmon you can do better that this.

Did I say that? Nope!

What I implied was that it's possible - just possible - that the Pats professionals, who have been at this a lot f**king longer that you and I, and who have access to a sh*t-tonne more information than either of us ever will might - just might, possibly, maybe, perhaps - know a f**king thing or two that you and I don't about these prospects and have an entirely different perspective as a result.

But you chose to misrepresent what I actually said and then to mock me for something I didn't say - in public.

THAT wins you the big GFY and goodbye, ***hole!

i call them as i see them. i dont like drafting a rb in the 1st rd either.
Generally I hate rbs in the first. Even at pick 31.

That being said if they are good enough they can be worth it. Sony has the potential to be good enough. I hope he is cause just good or ok rbs are not hard to get with much lower picks.

Did I say that? Nope!

What I implied was that it's possible - just possible - that the Pats professionals, who have been at this a lot f**king longer that you and I, and who have access to a sh*t-tonne more information than either of us ever will might - just might, possibly, maybe, perhaps - know a f**king thing or two that you and I don't about these prospects and have an entirely different perspective as a result.

But you chose to misrepresent what I actually said and then to mock me for something I didn't say - in public.

THAT wins you the big GFY and goodbye, ***hole!
wow i really touched a nerve lmao. get a grip man lol. what a mental case.

Last edited:
your right. it's not like they should draft one now so he can learn and develop under Brady bb and josh. let's just wait till they are gone. draft a QB and just throw him in there. that will work perfectly. :rolleyes:
It would be great if he could have as much time in the system as possible but you can't force it. Other things need addressing. The right guy has to be available. Fortunately we have TB so we are dealing from a position of strength and there is no need to panic.

Edmunds weighs 230. Not sure Belichick has ever drafted an LB like that. Even Roberts, who is undersized, weighs 15 pounds more.

Tremaine Edmunds - the linebacker - weighed 253 at the Combine. His brother, Terrell Edmunds - the safety - who was also drafted last night, weighed 217. Perhaps you got them confused?

Roberts weighed 234 at his pro day (at 5' 11.5"). He's still listed on Patriots.com at 235 lbs, but I suppose he could weigh 5-10 lbs more than that now, after two years in the Pats' strength and conditioning program.

Ok, so that would seem to be all that's needed along the OL.

Looking at a Niners board, this guy is a monster in pass blocking but dismal as a run blocker. Out of shape. Coming off an injury. "Inconsistent worker" since JUCO days. They'd be surprised if he passes his physical.

Somebody should tell Trenton Brown that Dante Scarnecchia is on the other side of this trade. This will not end well,

San Francisco 49ers: How Trent Brown influenced the Mike McGlinchey pick in the 2018 NFL Draft

I understand the point you're making. Here is my
I never "bank" on anything. If you do, well ....

With Shelton, I suspect that, in the Pats scheme, he'll the opportunity to perform more like he did his first two years in the league - when the Browns were running a 2-gapping 3-4 base, and before Gregg Williams took over at DC and installed an aggressive, 1-gapping 4-3 base.

The Pats' current hybrid base scheme employs NTs (Shelton, Branch, Valentine, and Wilfork before them) in much the same way that NTs are used in a pure, 2-gapping 3-4. Whereas, when Williams installed his 4-3, Shelton suddenly became a round peg in a square hole.

Sorry, I assumed you understood about those scheme differences and Shelton's role.

Anyway, I kinda wish you had been more specific about which defensive lineman you were referring to. WRT Clayborn, then, he's a solid, consistent, veteran edge player who will anchor one end of the line, get some decent pressure and not be a liability against the run. At the very least, he'll be that "lunchpail guy" who locks down one edge so the the other guys can make plays.

He's signed for two seasons, presumably so that he can be steadying presence in the transition between this season, with Flowers at the other end, and the 2019 season, with whoever may replace Flowers when he leaves in free agency.

Did you know that the browns rush defense was awful those two years when shelton was there in his natural scheme? I hope he works out here and bill gets the best out of him. Browns had no issues getting rid of him. In terms of clayborn not much of a fan but if he can bring some pressure it can always help.

It would be great if he could have as much time in the system as possible but you can't force it. Other things need addressing. The right guy has to be available. Fortunately we have TB so we are dealing from a position of strength and there is no need to panic.
i hear ya. but i dont agree. no need is more important than QB. i want bb to devolope the next qb. and dont want them waiting if there is a QB they like. the team is on borrowed time with brady and belichick for that matter. i think there is a good chance this is bradys last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST