PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade 7th rounder to Falcons for TE Eric Saubert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Kendricks may be not long for the world.

Patriots traded 7th rounder to falcons for TE Eric Saubert

I think we can all expect a long and fruitful season from this young lad.

Or LaCosse is more hurt than we hoped.
Thats my fear.

LaCosse is not a world-beater but at least he is a legitimate target in the passing game.

"Tape study is absolutely maddening on Saubert as it roller coasters from eye-popping potential to lapses in concentration and effort as a blocker. Saubert's speed and athleticism will get him open and he should test well at the combine. Teams will have to balance the flashes with the drops and decide how early they want to pull the trigger on a tight end with starter's potential but a low floor." — Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

98fdfb41208072ee1d3cb31a741a9867.png

Meets the athletics requirements.
6-5, 254 pounds, 4.69 40-yard. Did well at the 2017 Combine.
Drafted in fifth round of the 2017 draft. Only five receptions with the Falcons.

"Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me" ---Billy Preston aka Captain Stone

This from the Falcons' fan board.

Not terrible.

Eric Saubert
2018 receiving stats: 5 receptions, 55.6% catch rate, 48 yards, 9.6 yards per reception

Analysis
Saubert was talked up as a candidate to emerge and contribute in the run-up to the season, but for the second straight year he was largely a forgotten player. That will hopefully change under Dirk Koetter, but there are reasons to believe Saubert might be a more useful tight end going forward.

As a receiver he’s very much a work in progress and showed that, contributing minimally on limited snaps and making at least one major error with the ball in the air in 2018. PFF ranked him as a below average tight end in his limited opportunities, which is fair.

It’s the blocking, surprisingly, that distinguished Saubert late in the season. He threw some huge blocks late in the year and has the athleticism and strength necessary to be the team’s #2 option even if he’s never going to be much of a receiving option, and I’d like to see him get first crack at it in 2019. If he can’t be a more consistent contributor next season, he’ll be in danger of being cut heading into 2020.

The Falcoholic’s 2018 Falcons positional review: Tight end

The Pats averaged 400 yards of offense & scored 34 & 31 points respectively (albeit some ST help) vs. the Bears/Packers with 1 reception from a TE (Gronk inactive).

TE is looking like a potential disaster until week 5 but is not necessary to run the offense. Start Izzo as a 6th blocker in Dwayne Allen’s role until Watson is back. Gordon returning would go a long way as well.

Guessing this trade means LaCosse will be out an extended time.

I remember a few years back from his Draft Bio I stopped reading from right here " Tapes littered with drops" yuck.

If he can make the catch that bounced off Izzo's hands at the goal line...YAY! Stidham should have had another TD pass there.

Per Mike Reiss (via Zolak):

He is a really talented guy who was behind Hooper on a team that was in a 3 WR set most of the time. He has a ton of upside with the right coaching, but at the very least he is an upgrade over Izzo.

Maybe being signed as a blocking TE ?

If that report of good blocking is correct, Izzo is definitely screwed.

I have no idea who he is therefore he's the best TE available in the team already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes