Patriots Tendered Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots made May 9 tender offer to LeGarrette Blount

First, the team acquires exclusive negotiating rights with the player, if he doesn’t sign elsewhere before July 22. From July 22 through the Tuesday after Week 10 of the regular season, the player can sign only with his prior team. Second, if the May 9 tender is made and the player signs with a new team before July 22, the transaction counts toward the compensatory draft pick formula for 2018.

So if he signs before 7/22 he's part of comp pick formula. If not he can only sign with the Patriots through Week 10.

Last edited:
I didn't even realize this was an option. Wasn't he an unrestricted free agent?

With the passing of May 9 came the expiration of the impact of free-agency contracts upon the compensatory draft-pick formula. With one important exception.

For any teams that made a tender offer to any of its unrestricted free agents before May 9, the team secures two key rights...

here full article:
Patriots made May 9 tender offer to LeGarrette Blount

It’s a rarely-used device, as one source explained it to PFT. Over the years since the free agency system was put in place, similar offers have been made only a handful of times.

Why didnt they do the same thing with Floyd?
That's a good question.

Maybe because they're so loaded at WR? But they seem to be at RB too, so who knows. Maybe Floyd just didn't really "get it."

Edit - the replies above this one seem to explain it well.

I didn't even realize this was an option. Wasn't he an unrestricted free agent?

I'm guessing that more than half the owners and GMs in the league didn't realize that this was an option.

The OP explained it very well, I think. In an nutshell, the tender extends that date on which UFAs become SFAs from May 10 to July 22nd. It also turns effectively Blount into and RFA if he hasn't signed elsewhere by July 22nd.

Yowzer!

patriots would be on the hook for a 1-year, $8m contract if floyd signed the tender.
His deal with the Vikings is reportedly $1.5 MM with incentives up to $6 MM total.

Around 2M contract should bring the 7th.

Maybe not much . but BB brought in some useful players in trade for 7th before..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes