PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Tendered Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots would not do this unless they REALLY wanted to have Blount back on the roster (albeit, at their price, not his).

Can someone tell me why Belichick loves this guy so much?

So depth chart is Gill Blount Burkhead third down back White Lewis Bolden out unless injuries.

The Patriots would not do this unless they REALLY wanted to have Blount back on the roster (albeit, at their price, not his).

Most feel as though the move was made to factor into the comp pick formula, both to benefit us, and also to count against whatever team may pick him up. This theory would make a lot of sense if you believe that the rumors of the BAL interest are/were true.

I think it's unlikely that Belichick would choose to match any offer that Blount will see, but if no one decides to pursue him prior to (around) the start of TC, he'll simply be another RB in the mix at a reasonable price. None of the money is guaranteed unless he's on the week one roster, so even if they end up being "stuck" with him, they can cut him with no dead cap hit.

I think it's safe to say that barring injury, the team has moved on. Unless, of course, you believe that either Burkhead or Lewis is expendable.

I follow Blount on Instagram. Over the past couple of days on his instagram stories, it looks like he's still in Foxboro hanging out with Dion Lewis and Janes White. In one of the stories, he shows himself wearing a Patriots hoodie.

So i think it shows he has no ill towards the Pats but secondly, could he come back to the Patriots either during training camp or half way during the season if somebody gets injured?

Most feel as though the move was made to factor into the comp pick formula, both to benefit us, and also to count against whatever team may pick him up. This theory would make a lot of sense if you believe that the rumors of the BAL interest are/were true.
1.1 mil for what blunt brings to the table is a good deal in my book. Love the depth at that position now too..

Last edited:
I follow Blount on Instagram. Over the past couple of days on his instagram stories, it looks like he's still in Foxboro hanging out with Dion Lewis and Janes White. In one of the stories, he shows himself wearing a Patriots hoodie.

So i think it shows he has no ill towards the Pats but secondly, could he come back to the Patriots either during training camp or half way during the season if somebody gets injured?

I think the relationship between BB and Blount is a solid one without a lot of BS fluff.

In 2013 BB traded for him when he was in TB hell. Blount bought into the Patriot Way and delivered

In 2014 BB wanted him back but Blount got more money from the Squealers. Same year Blount self-destructed and BB pulled him off the couch to help him win a SB.

In 2015 as a FA he signed on to stay here and plays well.

In 2017 he tried to make an extra buck somewhere else and there were no takers. While I am not sure he has signed his tender yet, it would not surprise me if he does and there is a little bit of guaranteed $ in there if he is cut. With that said, in TC you never know, If Burkhead, Lewis, White or Gillislee go down.....Blount makes this team again.

Bb's probably still pissed about the fumble in the sb :confused:

What fumble? All I can remember about Blount in the sb was his tackle on James White in the end zone after the TD in OT. ;)

What fumble? All I can remember about Blount in the sb was his tackle on James White in the end zone after the TD in OT. ;)

Ahhhh yes, that was that super bowl that only lasted a quarter and a half for some reason. We crushed that team 31-0 or something like that :D

Ahhhh yes, that was that super bowl that only lasted a quarter and a half for some reason. We crushed that team 31-0 or something like that :D

Yep. That's the one.

I think it's unlikely that Belichick would choose to match any offer that Blount will see, but if no one decides to pursue him prior to (around) the start of TC, he'll simply be another RB in the mix at a reasonable price. None of the money is guaranteed unless he's on the week one roster, so even if they end up being "stuck" with him, they can cut him with no dead cap hit.

Geez, i didn't know none of the money is guaranteed! LOL @ the nflpa

Having his skill set available at reasonable is great. You know another 250 pound back that can cut like a half back and drag 4-5 guys for ten yards once he gets into the second layer?

Well for starters, he's money at the goal line, when the running game really matters. Blount isn't a feature back but he's a very good roleplayer, and his role is short yardage penetrations. All of the most ugly, unglamorous running that wins football games, third and short, second and short, as well as the glory shots on second and goal, that was Blount's job.

He blocked fairly well too and was a great teammate by all accounts. What's not to like?

1.1 mil for what blunt brings to the table is a good deal in my book. Love the depth at that position now too..
1.1m is only the figure if no other team signs Blount before July 22. We don't know what the Pats would do if say, someone else offered him a deal with incentives that could hover around 1.75 or 2m dollars, like most predicted.

Getting to be a crowded backfield:

White (new deal)
Gilleslee (just pried away from BUF)
Burkhead (FA signing + 1.1m dead cap hit)
Lewis (some have even suggested RB1)
Devlin (team favorite as a FB)

Bolden, Foster on the outside looking in. We'll see if there are any injuries, any other suitors with Blount, and/or if the Pats choose to match any offers to keep him as a reliable vet presence. Any way you look at it, using this rare tender seems to have made a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back