PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Tendered Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was Reiss who speculated yesterday that the Pats may have done this to ensure they don't lose one of their own (current) two comp picks in case Mingo is cut or Long retires.
Thanks for the info. Personally, I believe the move was made towards an eye on the comp pick formula, as well.

Yea. I really like Bolden too but he is in a dogfight this year. With that said, hes been in them before and has come out on top.

I just can't see the team keeping 6 RBs (including Develin). Burkhead, Gillislee, Whitey, DLew and Develin seem like complete locks unless BB chooses to trade DLew as he is too skilled and has value to be outright cut.
I think including Bolden as a RB may be equal to including Slater as a WR. At this point, it's pretty clear that they're both ST only players. As mentioned, your point likely still stands due to Bolden's competition having been improved upon, so this may be the year he's ousted. Then again, Belichick may view him as a ST beast whose job is closer to secure, than not. I suppose we'll find out this summer.

It's impossible to know what Blount was asking for, how long, and how much they signaled Blount's interest in staying with the Patriots. All we know is that he gained over 1100 yards, scored 18 rushing TDs, and averaged 3.9 ypg in one of the NFL's more run-oriented offenses, especially early in the season.

The report today is that LGB is not going to sign this tender. That tells us that he's looking for a multi-year deal (unlikely) and a higher salary (possible.) Maybe a modest guaranteed salary will get a deal done. We'll see.
wouldn't hurt to have the depth

I think including Bolden as a RB may be equal to including Slater as a WR. At this point, it's pretty clear that they're both ST only players. As mentioned, your point likely still stands due to Bolden's competition having been improved upon, so this may be the year he's ousted. Then again, Belichick may view him as a ST beast whose job is closer to secure, than not. I suppose we'll find out this summer.

i think you're selling bolden short. slater is pretty much a last resort. bolden can come in and be fairly serviceable as a running back and even catch passes out of the backfield.

career stats:

EIeIwv9.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Personally, I believe the move was made towards an eye on the comp pick formula, as well.

It turns out it wasn't Reiss, but a guy at OverTheCap.com.

i think you're selling bolden short. slater is pretty much a last resort. bolden can come in and be fairly serviceable as a running back and even catching passes out of the backfield.

career stats:

EIeIwv9.png

I agree that Bolden is one of those Pats players who, from the get-go, fans seem to unfairly condemn as being worthless. Bolden actually has contributed more on offense than most folks know (or will bother to look up). It should be noted, however, that most of his career stat line was compiled in his first 22 games with the Pats in 2012 and 2013, when he really was a very good #3/#4 RB.

Another thing that most fans probably don't realize is that both Slater and Bolden get a lot of practice snaps at their nominal positions during the season - as part of the scout team offense that the #1s on defense practice against during the week between games. IOW, they and the other scrubs, along with the PS guys, contribute a lot of hidden value that we fans have no way of measuring (aside from intermittent reports about the "Practice Player of the Week").

I never include Develin in the RB numbers game. He's effectively much more a part of the TE unit than the RB unit.

Thats fine. Either way its a question of touches either running or catching the ball and depth

Yea I suppose. With the talent they have in the backfield this year Bolden doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell or touching the ball unless 2 guys go down.

Correct me if this has been said previously, but I only went back 3 pages on the thread.

BUT.......as far as I recall, if Blount signs this tender he will be guaranteed the tender salary (around $ 1.1MM). So why can't someone put a positive slant on this. What this does is it guarantees a good payday for Blount in 2017 regardless of whether he makes the team or not.

That sounds like a nice parting gift to me for past services rendered. Doesn't it? I would bet that no one else gives him that much guaranteed up front, and while it might wind up being dead money on the Pats] cap, this is a year where they can afford it.

So this isn't a screw job for Blount, in fact it's an insurance policy for him. It puts a healthy base on what he can make this season. In all likelihood he'll get signed by another team and this will all be moot......AND the Pats will have a slightly healthier comp pick balance sheet.

Once again the mediots blasting the Pats for being smart.

i think you're selling bolden short. slater is pretty much a last resort. bolden can come in and be fairly serviceable as a running back and even catch passes out of the backfield.

career stats:

EIeIwv9.png
As a guy who sticks up for Brandon Bolden on the regular, I get where you're coming from, but as another poster has already pointed out, Bolden doesn't have any chance in hell at seeing live game reps at RB barring multiple injuries. He is really nothing more than a ST only player at this point, and pretty much has been for awhile now.

That all said, I do believe that he is an excellent ST player, and I love the point that another poster made about his value on the scout team. These are reasons why I'm going to give Bolden a 60% chance of making the squad, possibly even 65%. I realize that we've improved the competition and that roster spots are precious, but until I see someone unseat him in the preseason, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. We will see.

Correct me if this has been said previously, but I only went back 3 pages on the thread.

BUT.......as far as I recall, if Blount signs this tender he will be guaranteed the tender salary (around $ 1.1MM). So why can't someone put a positive slant on this. What this does is it guarantees a good payday for Blount in 2017 regardless of whether he makes the team or not.

That sounds like a nice parting gift to me for past services rendered. Doesn't it? I would bet that no one else gives him that much guaranteed up front, and while it might wind up being dead money on the Pats] cap, this is a year where they can afford it.

So this isn't a screw job for Blount, in fact it's an insurance policy for him. It puts a healthy base on what he can make this season. In all likelihood he'll get signed by another team and this will all be moot......AND the Pats will have a slightly healthier comp pick balance sheet.

Once again the mediots blasting the Pats for being smart.
Unfortunately for Blount, this isn't necessarily correct. According to Miguel, once the tender is signed, the team can cut him at any moment with no dead cap hit whatsoever. His salary does not become guaranteed unless he is on the week one roster.

I think it's much more likely that this was a simple move done with an eye on the comp pick formula, particularly if the BAL interest rumors are true.

particularly if the BAL interest rumors are true.

I hadn't thought of that.

Makes sense. While the Pats might not be bothered in the slightest if Blount signed with the Lions or NYG, giving a conference rival a reason to press pause could be a motivating factor especially Harbaugh (who doesn't read the rule book).

Unfortunately for Blount, this isn't necessarily correct. According to Miguel, once the tender is signed, the team can cut him at any moment with no dead cap hit whatsoever. His salary does not become guaranteed unless he is on the week one roster.

I think it's much more likely that this was a simple move done with an eye on the comp pick formula, particularly if the BAL interest rumors are true.
thanks for the info. BTW- I can't see any NFL team NOT signing Blunt because they might lost a 6th or 7th round comp pick in 2018. That would make no sense....though the mediots will still make a big deal of it.

thanks for the info. BTW- I can't see any NFL team NOT signing Blunt because they might lost a 6th or 7th round comp pick in 2018. That would make no sense....though the mediots will still make a big deal of it.
It may give another team reason to pause, Ken, but more importantly, it may cause a conference rival (read: bunch of whiny ****s) to miss out on a comp pick.

Seems like a solid move by Belichick.

I'm fine with Bolden's role and he is a good receiver but, what the hell did they pick up Burkhead for? He's got to play ST IMO, I don't see him getting snaps on this team otherwise.

I'm fine with Bolden's role and he is a good receiver but, what the hell did they pick up Burkhead for? He's got to play ST IMO, I don't see him getting snaps on this team otherwise.
Burkhead > Bolden.

i think you're selling bolden short…[he] can come in and be fairly serviceable as a running back and even catch passes out of the backfield...
…And drop them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick