PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Tendered Blount

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB is so much fun.

I bet some guys are staying late tonight in some offices scrolling through the rule books..

>> Any playoff team would easily sacrifice the 212+ pick in the draft for a veteran with Blount's production and experience

Then why is he not on a team yet, when they would not have had to give up anything to get him?

Through May 9, other teams would have had to give up a 7th round comp pick to sign Blount. If the Pats had NOT used the May 9 tender, Blount would have become a street free agent today, May 10, and signing him would have cost another team no comp pick.

IOW, other teams were waiting for today.

Oops.

BB sez, "Not so fast."

Hey they just offered him what I make in 2 years so I would not complain..

Same here bro. Just bought myself a new Ferrari to treat myself...

Testarossa-1_2732859b.jpg

Is the 1.1 guaranteed when signed, or can they still cut him after signing?

Likewise, i hope fleming's contract isn't guaranteed.

The question is, if no other team signs him do the pats carry another running back?

Im surprised the market has been dead for blount but at the same time maybe other teams see what the pats do. Hes a guy who amassed alot of his tds and yards in garbage time. And hasnt been really successful other than on the patriots.

Looking at projected comp picks board . and the teams reportedly interested in LGB (NYG, DET, BAL) . I don't think it will hurt their comp picks at all. DET has none anyway and both NYG and BAL have the lowest 7th (by the contracts) that would be cancelled anyway due to top 32 rule..

So it looks like this move will not scare away suitors . while it benefits Pats.
Why is this not surprising?..

I'd rather have Christine Micheal and I can imagine Rex Burkhead is slapping himself right now.
Goes to a winning team but has Croooooowded backfield

I'd rather have Christine Micheal and I can imagine Rex Burkhead is slapping himself right now.
Goes to a winning team but has Croooooowded backfield

IDK. Michael seems like an undisciplined, unreliable runner to me. Seems to dance in the backfield a lot and miss getting the 2-4 yards that were there for him. Showed that he can catch a bit last year, though.

For all the hoopla about this, I don't think Blount's coming back to the Pats. Some team will probably mutter, "Damn you, Belichick!" and sign him anyway. At least Blount now has a base point to negotiate from.

Since contract is only one of the factors in comp picks calculation - other being production, snap count, awards etc (all related to respective playing position) - I wonder if 18TDs would make any contract over the 1.1M tender good enough for 7th. Then again if the offers from others are low enough . BB might just keep him . at least till Sep (or Nov trade deadline.. although not likely with such a deep roster).
__

Isn't it ironic though: Bill's can't keep their RFA RB they really wanted back . while Bill can keep his UFA RB he doesn't need..

And hasnt been really successful other than on the patriots.

IDK.

Blount's first two seasons (Tampa), in 27 games, he put up ...
.. 1,781 yards on 385 carries (4.6 avg) and 9 TDs
.. he also caught 20 of 32 passes for 162 yards.

Of course, he also fumbled 9 times and was beat out by Doug "Muscle Hamster" Martin in his 3rd season (2012).

The Pats picked him up in 2013.

Prior to this past season, in 33 games for the Pats, Blount produced ...
.. 1,756 yards on 378 carries (4.6 avg) and 16 TDs
... and caught 12 of 16 for 99 yards and 1 TD

Great take on the subject by Nick Korte:
Why The Patriots Would Use The May 9 Tender On LeGarrette Blount For Compensatory Pick Purposes | Over the Cap

quote:
So are the Patriots trying to make a play for the Mr. Irrelevant pick? If they are thinking about comp picks, what’s more likely on their mind is the worry that Mingo or Long may not make their new teams’ rosters, and in the case of the 32 year old Long, retirement can’t be ruled out either. If one of Mingo or Long is removed from the chart, the Patriots would lose their 5th round comp pick for Bennett. If both are removed, the Patriots would be completely shut out of comp picks.

Noob questions...

If he signs the tender, then is the 1.1 million guaranteed? But if he signs then he's also on the roster, correct, so they'd be up to 6 or 7 RBs, which seems too high? Which means there's a high likelihood they cut him and have dead cap money?

So what are the advantages of tendering him? Or am I overestimating the chance that he's cut?

Either way, I'm a Blount fan if no other reason than his personality and I'd be fine if he came back to us for 1.1 million.

Why didnt they do the same thing with Floyd?
Good point. Assuming they could have and didn't, I'm thinking the guy must have some serious baggage.

I just don't understand this mechanism at all. This tender clearly gives a team more control over a UFA, so why isn't it used and what's the drawback? The 10% pay raise would be irrelevant in many situations, so don't say that.

I was wondering the same, but the more I think about it the range off affected players may just be very narrow.

A veteran unrestricted free agent who:
- Earned a modest salary the previous season
- Wasn't signed by anyone during the first 2 months of free agency
- Is considered valuable enough for other teams to be interested post-May 9th, and for the original team to devote a spot on the offseason roster to him

Can you think of other recent eligible players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes