PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign TE Eric Tomlinson

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the 2015 draft scouting reports, it looks more likely instead of a Dwayne Allen signing. His skill set looks completely different from Watson's.

.B/R NFL Draft 400: Top Tight Ends

1. STRENGTHS
    Eric Tomlinson looks like he belongs to the Duck Dynasty family, but he’s a talented tight end. A classic in-line tight end with throwback skills as a blocker, Tomlinson can be a factor in the run game off the edge. At 6’6” and 263 pounds, Tomlinson definitely looks the part and can hold his own when taking on a defender head-up. He uses a wide base and has the hand size (10”) and arm length (32 ⅞”) to lock out his man when engaged. Tomlinson could be an asset on every special-teams unit as a blocker.

WEAKNESSES
    Tomlinson is a limited athlete with poor mobility for the passing game. He’s ideally a run-blocker only and has very limited experience as a receiver (59 catches in 45 games). He doesn’t show the quickness off the line to be able to get cleanly or quickly into his route and lacks the speed to get separation as a receiver. The lack of athleticism shows up at the second level when Tomlinson is asked to reach linebackers. He’s really at his best blocking down on defensive ends.

Further on this, maybe also more as a Develin/Johnson replacement:

I was hoping for the Pats to draft a TE, like most people here, but let's take a deep breath on the Knox hype. He's caught 10 passes in 5 games with a 55% catch rate.

The pick the Pats used right before Knox got them Winovich. I can't believe that any rookie is getting reps on THIS defense, but there it is.

If BB chose anyone but Knox, it would have been a waste of resources. It is easy to look back at the only TE in the draft that is succeeding.

Bill not drafting a TE is increasingly looking like a big error.
Dawson Knox would be looking good in a Patriots uniform right about now.

So members wanted Hooper and Howard we get Tomlinson and Watson wow.
Anyone who thought we were getting both of them wasn't really operating in reality. Getting Howard at all was a longshot at best, Hooper was potentially gettable at least.

I was hoping for the Pats to draft a TE, like most people here, but let's take a deep breath on the Knox hype. He's caught 10 passes in 5 games with a 55% catch rate.

The pick the Pats used right before Knox got them Winovich. I can't believe that any rookie is getting reps on THIS defense, but there it is.

There's also the Damien Harris pick, which came after Winovich and before Knox. I assume the people who are criticizing not picking Knox believe he should've been picked instead of Harris.

Not that I agree, I'm pretty much undecided on the whole thing and will be at least until we actually see Harris play. It's not like Knox has done enough to make it a no-brainer that he should have been the pick.

Tomlinson might struggle to beat Brady in a foot race but at least he can put a hat on someone. He also looks very comfortable in the bubble screen game though our pass blocking looks like a bubble screen on most plays because of the jail break pass protection.:rolleyes: Anyway Tomlinson should feel right at home.

Last edited:
I am sure Ryan Izzo could make it to our Taxi squad he can't Block squat. I am glad they are addressing this position because they have some Tough games just before and after the Bye they are playing Division Leaders and contenders.

Last edited:
I agree he's a (very) Meh player...but those highlights actually aren't bad...

By definition, everybody's highlights should be at least "not bad.":D

Having highlights is certainly a positive sign.

LeCosse is likely out for a month or so. My guess is that BB likes his play; his problem has been injuries. I would not be surprised to see Izzo waived in a couple of weeks.

catch rate fake stat

it shows that he's getting targeted a lot - you can't get receptions/yards unless you're getting targeted, right? Isn't a big part of the problem with Patriots' rookie WRs and TEs that Brady (as he just admitted) doesn't look their way very often?

For example, my guess 9and firm belief) is that Meyers would have some pretty impressive stats as a rookie WR somewhere other than New England. I watched him closely from the stands in preseason and he was getting separation a lot. It boggles my mind that he went undrafted, because he's as good or better than many of those who were drafted, imo.

It's so damned easy to look at other rookies at these types of of high-profile positions and claim a "fail" by the Patriots, whereas those rookies here, in this system, with this quarterback, probably wouldn't be getting a second look. I use as my evidence Brady's interception in the end zone, where looking to Edelman and flipping it to Meyers was an easy 6 points.

There's also the Damien Harris pick, which came after Winovich and before Knox. I assume the people who are criticizing not picking Knox believe he should've been picked instead of Harris.

Not that I agree, I'm pretty much undecided on the whole thing and will be at least until we actually see Harris play. It's not like Knox has done enough to make it a no-brainer that he should have been the pick.

Oops, yep, got my numbers mixed up. As for Harris...they're James White'ing him, apparently. I'd love to see him get some reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back