PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign LB Bobby Carpenter

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing bad about a cheap veteran signing in early April.

People may be underwhelmed but that's what you get halfway between the start of free agency and the draft.

If anything he's a visible reminder to all the young guys with "potential" that their NFL careers can quickly fizzle - it wouldn't surprise me if that's half the reason Belichick is bringing him in.

Despite all the predictions that he won't make the roster, it's all up to him and he'll have as fair a chance as anyone else.

Everyone should hate this signing. After all, it's not like any underachieving players have ever become productive once they've gone to a winning, well-coached team.

Stop making no-risk signings of players you may be able to coach up, Bill!

Only difference between Scott and Carpenter is that Carpenter was a disappointment after being picked at #18 in the 1st round, and Scott was a 6th rounder who made good. That's the only difference. Other than that, they're the same guy. Same size, same productivity, same likelihood to be successful.

If you disagree, find me something really exciting about Trevor Scott that puts Bobby Carpenter to shame.

Scott is 6'5" and Carpenter is 6'2" and under what BB likes in an OLB, although same size as Tully and Nink. Scott was highly rated prior to his knee and played DE and OLB. He was actually a TE at Buffalo so he has some versatility. Scott has more sack ability than Carpenter has ever had.
I was one of those who thought Carpenter was a lock to be Drafted here. I thought they had a chance to acquire him a couple years ago after he had a superb season (his last) with the Boys.

I say a good signing because our back up LB roster was weak last year as Fletcher had the thumb deal the whole season and I rate him first out of the shoot. Cunningham is pretty much a third round bust,Tarp showed promise until he got hurt, Guyton saw less reps as the season went on and obviously was in someones dog house and will be gone, Captain Kovideo played some snaps after they picked him up mid-season but our second guy out of the shoot was Tracey White. Great ST guy like Izzo but very scary in coverage especially. He cost us in the regular season Giants game as much as Sergio did. He should not have been there on the filed at that juncture but guys were down. Please Cousins consider this,.....Out of all the LB we used last year after our starters, Carpenter is the best in coverage on our roster right now. In fact he is as good as Nink and better than Spikes (that is not his forte). I was not quite sure the reason again anticipating they go OLB in the Draft or another FA, but if you look at LB who can cover, I am not sure if Carpenter is not in the top three or four. If you look at it this way and he plays good STs, to say he was a Guyton upgrade makes sense.

BB might have picked something else up we disregard form last year. He might have felt the need to highly upgrade ST play. Four of our new pickups are know for ST play. Plus Tarp should be healthy and they resigned White and Niko K (Captain Kovideo)for all you Greek fans. Those seven are solid ST players. Remember he used Wright when healthy so he is gone and Guyton will be. Maybe moving Woodhead off STs now with Benny gone might be a thought as well.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Yup, I remember all the folks here screaming to draft the guy. (I was not among them :D.)
I remember too. A quite memorable amount of screaming.

Bobby Carpenter .... meh!

Scraping the bottom of the unrestricted free agent barrel.

I remember too. A quite memorable amount of screaming.

I don't know if I was that vocal but I admit he was one I thought the Pats should consider him. A few years later when he became a FA I was on the bandwagon yet again. So pencil me down as two stabs.

We were is the same position we are in now. We need a pass rushing LB when he was Drafted. 4.65 40 and a 6.88 3 cone were desirable traits. Ranks tenth on the OSU school's career-record list with 14.5 quarterback sacks … Recorded 142 of his career 191 tackles, 10 of his 14.5 sacks and 17 of his 23.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage during his final two seasons … Tied the school game-record with four sacks vs. Michigan State in 2005, equaling a mark first set by Jason Simmons vs. Washington State in 1991.

His best year was 09 when he had 46 tackles while only starting two as they subbed him out alot. He also had two sacks as mostly a ILB.

His career has been a "C".

I don't know but a fast sacking LBs seem to still be on our radar today. He has had some very good years and some off ones. He is still young. His sack ability is not the best so far for the Teams he has played for. I can't see him taking anyone's job but he immediately becomes one of our better coverage LBs in a sub package. How many times are we in sub? Plenty....

A medium to good signing for what he brings is my unworthy opinion.

Most Lions fans thought well of him and are not happy they did not resign the kid.

This was a funny reply from a Pats fan:

Is it because bb could start bullwinkle and mickey mouse and still win 12 games you morons hate the pats????

More comments in Yahoo:

"Rough and tumble White Guys seem to do well in New England....Go Bobby/OSU"

"I'm a Michigan guy,and Lions fan . I wish him well. He plays real hard . I think he will do well."

"I will wait for Gisele's opinion."

"He couldn't cut it in Dallas and been to a few other teams he will probably be a Pro Bowler in NE!"

DW Toys

Last edited:
He's better than Guyton, so that's... something.

Thank you, This is what the signing is all about, an incremental improvement at a position. He played in both the 3-4 and 4-3 and played in the middle and at SLB and his contract is not guaranteed.

He is a guy that can play ST too, I rather see him on the field if Spikes and Fletcher our out than Guyton.

Guyton was a passing down ILB. You think Carpenter is a better passing down ILB?

I haven't read all the posts so bear with me if this had already been posted. And while I generally agree that this guy pretty much sucks and is facing an uphill battle to make the squad, I still like this signing.

NFL Videos: Carpenter's pick-six

WTF was Romo thinking on that pass? Good god man that was a awful decision by Romo..

As to the Carpenter signing, whatever. Bringing him in for a look can't hurt.

Guyton was a passing down ILB. You think Carpenter is a better passing down ILB?

Honestly, it would be difficult for him to be worse.

I dodged that bullet.

Im glad that I wanted Laurence "Koolaid Maroney.

2006 was one of the Pats worst drafts EVAH!

Imagine if we had drafted MJD and Jennings instead of Maroney and Chad Jackson. I think that could have led to another championship by now!

Carpenter was taken before the Pats pick at #21 so I don't see how the what-if game applies to that selection. Maybe he'll resurrect his career in new england. Who knows right?

Last edited:
"Barbie" Carpenter as he was not-so-affectionately called in Big D will actually make a very solid 3rd down linebacker for you guys. He played that spot in his last year in Dallas and it suited him well, just not going to see a first rounder get a lot of credit when that's your biggest contribution in four seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes