PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Sign Gesicki

Jonnu just had one breakout year. All other years his stats were similar or slightly better than what we had.

We badly whiffed on him. Gesicki routes are similar to plays that we have . I like the signing .

I want them to add two CBs and a LB now . And draft two tackes in first 4 rounds.

How many CBs do you think the team can carry? If they spend 2 draft picks in the first 4 rounds, you're guaranteeing them spots on the roster because BB has never cut a 1st-4th round pick in their rookie season.

They have 4 corners (Mills, M. Jones, Jo Jones, Jack Jones) and 3 safeties (Peppers, Dugger, Phillips) who are guaranteed spots. Usually they have 5 and 5 with players at both on the PS.

So are you saying to draft 2 corners and move Mills to an already crowded Safety field?
EDIT: Just saw that they cut Mills.

It's a little concerning that he wasn't valued much in Miami last season when their offense blew up. Also, among all TEs last season with at least 10 receptions, Gesicki had the 60th ranked catch percentage at 61.5%. And since Gesicki has been in the league, among all TEs with at least 50 receptions, he's had the 62nd ranked catch percentage at 62.4%.

Overall I like the signing, he's a big target, and an upgrade from Jonnu. I think he'll give us what Brate gave the Bucs as a second to Gronk... a reliable TE2 with occasional red zone pop.
I am not concerned by that at all with a new head coach and a new system. In Miami last year, Waddle and Hill accounted for over 3060 yards, more than all of the Patriots WR and RB receiving yards combined.

Clearly Gesicki can’t get open like those guys, so his production slid. There is no reason he can’t be a TE 1A or 1B in NE with Henry and produce 500 yards with the current WR core. If they get a true WR1, those numbers will slide a bit.

Jonnu just had one breakout year. All other years his stats were similar or slightly better than what we had.

We badly whiffed on him. Gesicki routes are similar to plays that we have . I like the signing .

I want them to add two CBs and a LB now . And draft two tackes in first 4 rounds.
I am not disputing any of this, but he did perform better in Tenn. he avg. 4.5 TD's per year, compared to .5 TD's per year for NE. Either he did not fit our offense, was lazy or was misused. My hope for Gesicki is that he will have perform as well as he did in the 20 & 21 seasons.
I still think the Pats are in the hunt for another WR.. address the tackle, CB and LB positions in the draft.

I am not disputing any of this, but he did perform better in Tenn. he avg. 4.5 TD's per year, compared to .5 TD's per year for NE. Either he did not fit our offense, was lazy or was misused. My hope for Gesicki is that he will have perform as well as he did in the 20 & 21 seasons.
I still think the Pats are in the hunt for another WR.. address the tackle, CB and LB positions in the draft.
I think he had one monster year. Remove that and the averages would seem similar. Same thing as agholor. We gave them a big contract after a monster year banking on upside. All failed.

How many CBs do you think the team can carry? If they spend 2 draft picks in the first 4 rounds, you're guaranteeing them spots on the roster because BB has never cut a 1st-4th round pick in their rookie season.

They have 4 corners (Mills, M. Jones, Jo Jones, Jack Jones) and 3 safeties (Peppers, Dugger, Phillips) who are guaranteed spots. Usually they have 5 and 5 with players at both on the PS.

So are you saying to draft 2 corners and move Mills to an already crowded Safety field?
I meant in FA . And by CB I was also including a safety. DB might be appropriate . In draft I want two tackles and two TEs to sit behind and learn from Henry and gesicki and exploding in 2024.

I still don't think Marcus Jones is a true CB. Would want him to move to offense as our slot receiver.

Do we need a WR1 if we can give 0.5 seconds more to Mac and better route running.

I think we have improved OLine to a smaller degree and route running should be improved . This means defending all our WRs or tight ends is going to be a challenge . Our wr 3 and wr 4 are probably more like WR2.5 . So should be able to dominate in the trenches.

Just draft some solid OTs and CBs and TEs and we can cook something.

signed andy murray GIF

I'm reserving judgement on this signing until @PatsFan2 gives it his/her seal of approval.
He/Him Approves.:)

Last edited:
Bob really getting some solid pieces to run a competent Offense. Jerry Jeudy would be the Icing on the cake.
piping cake boss GIF by Rachael Ray Show

can't be worse than Jonnu Smiths production...
Yeah I don't think anyone can top or a better word bottom Junno's production or lack their of. :rolleyes:

Any chance that this signing will be coupled with another TE, and lead to the release or trade of Hunter?

*edit* already mentioned by Hammer.

Any chance that this signing will be coupled with another TE, and lead to the release or trade of Hunter?
I really like Mike Gesicki but I thought him and Hunter Henry was kind of redundant. Your take is interesting but I thought it was said Henry's job was safe.

I'm really only concerned with the blocking at this point. The reason I say that is I went into this FA knowing there was nothing on the market and that the draft was not up to the caliber of previous years when it came to WR. So... we gotta protect Mac.

I'm really only concerned with the blocking at this point. The reason I say that is I went into this FA knowing there was nothing on the market and that the draft was not up to the caliber of previous years when it came to WR. So... we gotta protect Mac.
One thing with Gesicki he runs some excellent Seam Routes would love to see that Route back in our Offense. :cool:

I’ll note that Mulligan himself wasn’t with the Pats until BoB had left. But they had Crumpler in 2010 who was just a blocking TE at that point, and drafted Lee Smith in 2011 for that role, who ultimately didn’t make the team but had a long career as the 3rd blocking TE.
Yeah was more an example of one of those kinda guys. We cycled through a ton of them back in those days. I don’t think Lee even made the team. He thrived out in Buffalo though.

This is a quality signing. When Mac was throwing passes to the rb, he seemed to actually prefer throwing into congested areas. Gesicki, Henry, and Parker gives us those possession type wrs.

This is a quality signing. When Mac was throwing passes to the rb, he seemed to actually prefer throwing into congested areas. Gesicki, Henry, and Parker gives us those possession type wrs.
I really hope we move on from Parker who has separations issues he's living up to that billing. I remember Parker playing 45 snaps and one target real head scratcher there.
texas rangers gallo GIF by MLB

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back