PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Sign Gesicki

I don't care what anyone says, he does the best griddy and it's not even close.

Both OverTheCap.com and Spotrac.com show Gesicki’s cap charge to be roughly half the $9 million the deal was reported to be.

It appears as if the deal contains $4.5 million of “not likely to be earned” (NLTBE) incentives along with a $950,000 salary and $3.55 million signing bonus. He had a down year statistically last season, so the NLTBE incentives could still be highly achievable just the same.

this deal makes me gesick...in a good way
you know who pizzed me off last season when we played the Fins? Not Midget Woman Beater. not Ducky Waddle, not Tagemandbagem...nope..it was THIS aggravating mutt....stuck it up our wazoos all game both games.
I'm in...if only to get him away from the fetid fish

TE's are worth whatever the market will bear.
The market establishes the cost, sure.

Value, on the other hand (which seems to be what the quoted post is referring to), is largely subjective, contingent on many variables, and ultimately up to the team/GM to decide for themselves.

On a sidenote, wanted to call out that we probably invest pretty high on our receiving and TE core. for all the clamour about getting a top WR or TE, very few teams on veteran QB contracts have more than 1 or 2 studs out.

we seem to be having a philosophy of many abover average players while everyone has 1 Stud and 3 lower ier players.

Juju , Bourne, Parker are all capable WR 2 and not WR 3 players . Thornton is a WR 2 / WR 1 based on potential which we dont know. Gesicki and Jonnu would be top 20 tight ends amongst 64 odd tight ends across 32 teams.

is it the lack of upper tier talent or is it inability on coaching to exploit mismatches between our WR 3 / TE2 against opponents CB3 or LB2.

wide receiver spend so far = 20 million( 4 players); teams with studs - 25-30
Tight end spend = 22 million(2 players) ; teams with studs - 15 million.

1. Chiefs - MVS, Toney, Skyy Moore + Kelce ; talent wise i think if you look cumulatively its a wash or we are better

2. Bills - Stefon diggs, gabe davis, khalil shakir + dawson knox; outside of diggs i think we beat everyone else on talent.

3. Bengals -jamarr chase,higgins,tyler boyd+asiasi ; this WR receiver is the best in business. no contest . however on TE we are much superior

4. Niners- deebo,mcaffrey,aiyuk, jennings + kittle ; No contest; best all around talent; all talent via draft thanks to 2 sucks seasons and high draft picks. how long can they retain is a question.

5. Dallas - cee dee lamb + michael gallup + fehuko + jake ferguson ; on a cumulative talent we seem better

6. Chargers - keenan allen + michael williams +josh palmer + everett; i feel on tight ends we are better while wide receivers its a wash.

The point i am trying to make is our talent is not subpar. The nonsense the media is driving home to us is insane. this is a team sport. shouldnt sum of parts matter and i think thats where coaching comes to play. Make the sum worth more than their individual value. We may not have WR 1 but every week our WR 1 will change possibly even at a quarter level. we have 6 dynamic receiving corps player + rham and marcus jones. Mac is a cerebral player. utilize him. focus on route runs . focus on coaching . tag team receivers and create new tandems to confuse CBs.bolster offensive line and coaching to give that additional 0.5 second for mac to process.

More time for QB = More time for mid level WR/ TE talent to separate and make plays.

I am not concerned by that at all with a new head coach and a new system. In Miami last year, Waddle and Hill accounted for over 3060 yards, more than all of the Patriots WR and RB receiving yards combined.

Clearly Gesicki can’t get open like those guys, so his production slid. There is no reason he can’t be a TE 1A or 1B in NE with Henry and produce 500 yards with the current WR core. If they get a true WR1, those numbers will slide a bit.
He had 73-780 the year before. I think he can get open in BoB’s offense. BoB is the reason they got him.

On a sidenote, wanted to call out that we probably invest pretty high on our receiving and TE core. for all the clamour about getting a top WR or TE, very few teams on veteran QB contracts have more than 1 or 2 studs out.

we seem to be having a philosophy of many abover average players while everyone has 1 Stud and 3 lower ier players.

Juju , Bourne, Parker are all capable WR 2 and not WR 3 players . Thornton is a WR 2 / WR 1 based on potential which we dont know. Gesicki and Jonnu would be top 20 tight ends amongst 64 odd tight ends across 32 teams.

is it the lack of upper tier talent or is it inability on coaching to exploit mismatches between our WR 3 / TE2 against opponents CB3 or LB2.

wide receiver spend so far = 20 million( 4 players); teams with studs - 25-30
Tight end spend = 22 million(2 players) ; teams with studs - 15 million.

1. Chiefs - MVS, Toney, Skyy Moore + Kelce ; talent wise i think if you look cumulatively its a wash or we are better

2. Bills - Stefon diggs, gabe davis, khalil shakir + dawson knox; outside of diggs i think we beat everyone else on talent.

3. Bengals -jamarr chase,higgins,tyler boyd+asiasi ; this WR receiver is the best in business. no contest . however on TE we are much superior

4. Niners- deebo,mcaffrey,aiyuk, jennings + kittle ; No contest; best all around talent; all talent via draft thanks to 2 sucks seasons and high draft picks. how long can they retain is a question.

5. Dallas - cee dee lamb + michael gallup + fehuko + jake ferguson ; on a cumulative talent we seem better

6. Chargers - keenan allen + michael williams +josh palmer + everett; i feel on tight ends we are better while wide receivers its a wash.

The point i am trying to make is our talent is not subpar. The nonsense the media is driving home to us is insane. this is a team sport. shouldnt sum of parts matter and i think thats where coaching comes to play. Make the sum worth more than their individual value. We may not have WR 1 but every week our WR 1 will change possibly even at a quarter level. we have 6 dynamic receiving corps player + rham and marcus jones. Mac is a cerebral player. utilize him. focus on route runs . focus on coaching . tag team receivers and create new tandems to confuse CBs.bolster offensive line and coaching to give that additional 0.5 second for mac to process.

More time for QB = More time for mid level WR/ TE talent to separate and make plays.

49ers success was good drafting regardless of draft position. Only Aiyuk was a 1st round pick. Jennings was a 7. Kittle was a 5(!). McCaffrey was acquired by trade. Deebo was a 2.

Kittle and Deebo are great players drafted after Rd 1. Pats had some down years drafting and paid the price - no top end talent.

49ers success was good drafting regardless of draft position. Only Aiyuk was a 1st round pick. Jennings was a 7. Kittle was a 5(!). McCaffrey was acquired by trade. Deebo was a 2.

Kittle and Deebo are great players drafted after Rd 1. Pats had some down years drafting and paid the price - no top end talent.
I am not discounting that . Our WR scouts leave much to be desired and probably had to do a lot with designing plays for Brady and matching to his skillset and we did not adjust yet . BoB starting on a fresh slate with Mac probably might help in ushering in a new mindset in terms of plays as well as offensive drafting philosophy .

I am saying we can't do much just by getting a Wr1 . We need to devise plays to maximize our QB strengths and that might not need a true wr1 and could do with having couple of guyz with great cerebral processing speed .

If not for Patricia experiment, Bourne and Meyers could have had the second year leap and we might not even be talking about this issue. We need to fix coaching before we get talent . I think we have the pieces to contend outside of OT and CB1.

I am not discounting that . Our WR scouts leave much to be desired and probably had to do a lot with designing plays for Brady and matching to his skillset and we did not adjust yet . BoB starting on a fresh slate with Mac probably might help in ushering in a new mindset in terms of plays as well as offensive drafting philosophy .

I am saying we can't do much just by getting a Wr1 . We need to devise plays to maximize our QB strengths and that might not need a true wr1 and could do with having couple of guyz with great cerebral processing speed .

If not for Patricia experiment, Bourne and Meyers could have had the second year leap and we might not even be talking about this issue. We need to fix coaching before we get talent . I think we have the pieces to contend outside of OT and CB1.
Agreed, except a No. 1 WR really pressures a defense. Diggs is a good example.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back