PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Sign Gesicki

I don't care what anyone says, he does the best griddy and it's not even close.

Someone joked on Reddit (paraphrasing):

That $4.5M incentive? For hitting an actual Griddy.

Fortunately for the Patriots, it's NLTBE.

Agreed, except a No. 1 WR really pressures a defense. Diggs is a good example.
I think there are different ways to put pressure on a defense. A “true #1 WR” is a focused pressure. A set of 3 or 4 really good receivers, 1.5 to 2.5 level guys, doesn’t have a single focus but means that any one of them can step up if the D lets them. So that pressures the defense but in a different way.

Remember, BB has the reputation of winning by taking away the opponent‘s best weapon(s). That means when he’s faced with a “true #1” he schemes to alleviate their pressure against the defense. That’s harder to do with the kind of receiver roster he’s consistently built for the Pats.

seems Belichick builds his offense to be able to beat the kind of defense he builds.

I think there are different ways to put pressure on a defense. A “true #1 WR” is a focused pressure. A set of 3 or 4 really good receivers, 1.5 to 2.5 level guys, doesn’t have a single focus but means that any one of them can step up if the D lets them. So that pressures the defense but in a different way.

Remember, BB has the reputation of winning by taking away the opponent‘s best weapon(s). That means when he’s faced with a “true #1” he schemes to alleviate their pressure against the defense. That’s harder to do with the kind of receiver roster he’s consistently built for the Pats.

seems Belichick builds his offense to be able to beat the kind of defense he builds.
Idk, maybe, but the Pats have a 2 and some 3s or 4s right now. No one is 1.5 or 2.5. I just think Bill likes a lot of slightly above average players because it gives him more depth and it’s cheaper. The offense was at its best when they had Gronk, Moss and Welker. That’s not the current Pats.

This contract for gesicki a player who has more upside and better performance than hunter Henry .

I think patriots are just allowing all tight end dominoes to follow before they ask Henry to restructure or take a paycut. We owe Henry 5 million in dead cap and 10 million in contract. I could see a 3 year 30 million restructure with 14 million guaranteed . Else if we draft a high tight end in r2 or r3 Henry will be cut. I doubt if he can make more than gesicki in this market after the draft .

The offense was at its best when they had Gronk, Moss and Welker. That’s not the current Pats.
That tends to happen when you have the 3 respective GOATs at their positions

Hopefully, he can be our Kelce. Now, draft Washington.

That tends to happen when you have the 3 respective GOATs at their positions
Plus a lot of other good players. That was the point, actually.

The offense was at its best when they had Gronk, Moss and Welker. That’s not the current Pats.

And yet, they have nothing to show for it. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. You'd think that with those 3 and the highest scoring offense (at the time), they'd have rolled in the play-offs. Yet they couldn't carry the team and the defense had a couple of selfish players who laughed when they couldn't make the game saving plays while others literally broke bones to cover for them.

The TEAM was at it's best when it had a stout defense and an above average offense with 3 WRs capable of running all the different routes.
The TEAM followed it up with a series that had a stout defense and an above average offense where a combination of RB, WR, and TE together propelled the offense.

And yet, they have nothing to show for it. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. You'd think that with those 3 and the highest scoring offense (at the time), they'd have rolled in the play-offs. Yet they couldn't carry the team and the defense had a couple of selfish players who laughed when they couldn't make the game saving plays while others literally broke bones to cover for them.

The TEAM was at it's best when it had a stout defense and an above average offense with 3 WRs capable of running all the different routes.
The TEAM followed it up with a series that had a stout defense and an above average offense where a combination of RB, WR, and TE together propelled the offense.
They were damned successful. They went 18-1 in 2007 and were one play away from winning the SB twice. In 2012, the Brady to Welker pass misfired. It happens. Gronk got 3 rings in NE. They played on some great teams. I wouldn’t say they have nothing to show for it.

They were damned successful. They went 18-1 in 2007 and were one play away from winning the SB twice. In 2012, the Brady to Welker pass misfired. It happens. Gronk got 3 rings in NE. They played on some great teams. I wouldn’t say they have nothing to show for it.

The 3 together got nothing. No rings. 18-1. That's "Almost". And "Almost" only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs. You mention 2012, but ignore the fact that Moss wasn't on the team then.

Gronk got 3 rings. 1 of which he was on IR for. Neither Moss nor Welker were on the team for them.

Yes, they had individual successes, but together, they failed. Nothing you've said changes that.

Hard to not be excited watching this.

Tons of TDs there, I like that he's not a guy who catches passes between the 20's and becomes allergic in the end zone, can find the right spots there in the short field and is good on contested catches as well.

The 3 together got nothing. No rings. 18-1. That's "Almost". And "Almost" only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs. You mention 2012, but ignore the fact that Moss wasn't on the team then.

Gronk got 3 rings. 1 of which he was on IR for. Neither Moss nor Welker were on the team for them.

Yes, they had individual successes, but together, they failed. Nothing you've said changes that.
The reality is that Moss, Walker and Gronk played about 4 games together. Gronk started in 2010, and Moss got shipped out in 2010.

....and 2010 was one of the most efficient & prolific offenses in NFL history.
They barely played together.
In their 4 games together Gronk had under 100 yards total and 6 catches: 1,1,3and 1.
Moss had 9 catches for under 150 yards and played his last Pattiots game in September.
Wes Welker was recovering from an ACL tear, and was getting catches but not yards.

Things really started clicking when they dumped Moss. As a side note, their overall point total that year is slightly inflated beyond the offense because they had 9 return TD’s that year. The offenses in 2011 and 2012 scored more, but the 2011 team scored less total points.

In their 4 games together Gronk had under 100 yards total and 6 catches: 1,1,3and 1.
Moss had 9 catches for under 150 yards and played his last Pattiots game in September.
Wes Welker was recovering from an ACL tear, and was getting catches but not yards.

Things really started clicking when they dumped Moss. As a side note, their overall point total that year is slightly inflated beyond the offense because they had 9 return TD’s that year. The offenses in 2011 and 2012 scored more, but the 2011 team scored less total points.
Yes I'm aware.

I thought your point is that the Patriots shouldn’t try to get great players because then they can’t afford good ones at other positions and so they won’t win because the other players won’t be good enough. That is supposedly what happened when they had Gronk, TB and WW, according to you.

One question: how’s that been working out over the last 4 years?

I thought your point is that the Patriots shouldn’t try to get great players because then they can’t afford good ones at other positions and so they won’t win because the other players won’t be good enough. That is supposedly what happened when they had Gronk, TB and WW, according to you.

One question: how’s that been working out over the last 4 years?

WOW. Nothing like pulling s**t out of thin air. You clearly didn't read what was said.

No where did I say anything remotely close to what you claim in your post.

I'm aware also. But @TomPatriot would have us believe that he wasn't talking about the 3 of them being on the Pats at the same time even though that's exactly what he said in his OP that I responded to.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back