PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign ex-Colt DE/OLB John Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.. with Bentley gone,. Gonna need some belichick morphing magic to reinvent the defense .. if he calls me ., I'll tell him to use grigsby and get the DL fired up.

That take was understandable at WR, especially before Edelman got popped, but even "this might work if everyone stays healthy" was a stretch at all three defensive levels.
Agreed on the D. If this O had JE, Matthews, Britt, etc and was not allowing top CBs to focus on Hogan/Dorsett this team would have scored more. Scoring more would have meant longer drives giving our D more rest. Also, the Pats scoring more would have forced the other teams O to perhaps take more chances (or even play from behind)...changing the dynamics of everything.

Not making excuses for this D, but they have just about everything working against them this year.

Its like they said "this might work if everyone stays healthy," which they never do.
What did you want them to do? You can’t purchase cap space.

Surprised he came aboard... hasn't he heard?

giphy.gif

o_O

They had what they had. I already wrote up a big post on how this team has problems filling WR spots. The tactics they took this offseason to replace productions were solid on paper but unfortunately they took risks on 2 guys who had some injury problems and a third that was a chronic case that I dont think they were counting on anyway..

I think almost everyone understood that the team needed an additional ILB. As would be the case with a trade now, cap room can be created through extensions or restructures if it needed.

Agreed on the D. If this O had JE, Matthews, Britt, etc and was not allowing top CBs to focus on Hogan/Dorsett this team would have scored more. Scoring more would have meant longer drives giving our D more rest. Also, the Pats scoring more would have forced the other teams O to perhaps take more chances (or even play from behind)...changing the dynamics of everything.

Not making excuses for this D, but they have just about everything working against them this year.

Indeed. There's no question but that the problems of the offense are making the problems of the defense more obvious. For multiple reasons, Brady has not been able to cover for the deficiencies of the defense so far this season.

So we have 7 DEs on the roster now, including Grissom? If they like Simon, feels like they may be getting rid of Rivers soon.

So we have 7 DEs on the roster now, including Grissom? If they like Simon, feels like they may be getting rid of Rivers soon.

Grissom they've moved to OLB..

They had what they had. I already wrote up a big post on how this team has problems filling WR spots. The tactics they took this offseason to replace productions were solid on paper but unfortunately they took risks on 2 guys who had some injury problems and a third that was a chronic case that I dont think they were counting on anyway..
That doesn’t answer what you think they should have done.

That doesn’t answer what you think they should have done.
My post did. It stated that they have to take risks on guys because going with big name/dollar solutions is too risky.

I like what they did, it was just risky relying on 2 guys with some injury history, and guy who was not going to play again anyway. If JE was not suspended none of this may have happened.

Complimentary football.

I think almost everyone understood that the team needed an additional ILB. As would be the case with a trade now, cap room can be created through extensions or restructures if it needed.
They drafted 2 of them.
When you run a defense that plays 2 LBs 95% of the time and you have Hightower and VN as your preferred starters with Roberts as the 3rd and you draft 2 more LBs what exactly are you expecting them to do?
People get crazy around here thinking it’s dereliction if duty to not have starting pro bowl caliber replacements ready to step in when there is an injury to a starter. Now we are doing it with a 5th round rookie.
There isn’t a lot you can do about filling a hole with a player and then having that player get hurt. The roster has limits.

Unless he **** on the roof of Belichicks car why would they get rid of a promising pass rusher in what essentially is his rookie season coming back from a serious injury ?

My post did. It stated that they have to take risks on guys because going with big name/dollar solutions is too risky.

I like what they did, it was just risky relying on 2 guys with some injury history, and guy who was not going to play again anyway. If JE was not suspended none of this may have happened.
I still fail to understand what they should have done differently.
“This” is just 2 road losses. There are 13 games left. I dint understand why panic is setting in.
It’s like fans around here are trying to write off the season today so they have as much time as possible to be angry and bltch, which for most of them seems to be happiness.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s like fans around here are trying to write off the season today so they gave as much time as possibly to be angry and bltch, which for most of them seems to be happiness.

Well a lot of fans here treat winning a SB as a relief. The entitlement is through the roof and the thought of not going into every game as a big favorite is enough to call for heads. And all of this in a league that is designed to punish success.

Well a lot of fans here treat winning a SB as a relief. The entitlement is through the roof and the thought of not going into every game as a big favorite is enough to call for heads. And all of this in a league that is designed to punish success.
Yup. It makes this place a nightmare.

When you buy **** at a yard sale, you usually take home **** from a yard sale. Snagging the unknown DaVinci is the exception, not the rule.

This is not new. It's a problem we see often enough, because BB is often too willing to squander one million dollars in order to try avoiding the squandering of two million dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes