PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots select WR Tyquan Thornton at 50.

That is not true, Brady left because our cap space problems. We literally had 1 mill in cap space (or less) the day Brady as offered 25 million by Tampa. I remember him saying he called Kraft (possibly to give them a chance to match, which they couldn’t) and they had a very sad conversation, because both knew Brady was going.

You can’t make up that much cap space to match 25 mill, when you have 1 mill. Belichick played the cap space game for years, creating space any way possible in lieu of winning championships, which was the right thing to do, I will cherish those championships. It finally caught up with him for n 2020. He had no more moves to make.

Last year they had a ton of space, and signed a lot of big ticket guys, this year, not so much, and we lost guys. Next year, supposedly they will have a lot of cap space again.

You can only do so much when you’re up against the cap. Media and some Pat’s fans and Pat’s haters, say Belichick forced Brady out, that’s not true. It was all about the cap. Also, there’s a fallacy that the Pats are cheap, not true, when they have cap space, they use it. Look at 2014, 2017 & 2021.
How can that not be true when we made him an offer?

This makes no sense.

Unlike Tampa, which could push his cap hit into future years, the Patriots could not.

Yet they made Brady an offer.

You're saying they didn't make Brady an offer because they were up against the cap?

They offered him $23m at least. Rapaport said they offered him $30m but I don't really believe that.

Are Thornton’s tiny hands enough to kill bugs?

Not really.

He’d hurt his pencil-thin wrists.

What a disaster pick for the second round.

Belichick is a failure. He should just coach. We need a proper GM like the Rams have.
Please Point to ALL the Arm/Hand/Wrist injuries that Thornton suffered in College. We'll wait.

How can that not be true when we made him an offer?

This makes no sense.

Unlike Tampa, which could push his cap hit into future years, the Patriots could not.

Yet they made Brady an offer.

You're saying they didn't make Brady an offer because they were up against the cap?

They offered him $23m at least. Rapaport said they offered him $30m but I don't really believe that.
If the Patriots had given Brady an Extension, they could have used void years to help alleviate the SB amortization. Myself and Miguel BOTH showed ways to do it with Brady's number being less than $25M when all was said and done.

If the Patriots had given Brady an Extension, they could have used void years to help alleviate the SB amortization. Myself and Miguel BOTH showed ways to do it with Brady's number being less than $25M when all was said and done.
All I'm saying is that they made Brady an offer.

The previous poster said they had no cap space for Brady.

People talking about Terry Glenn. That was a different time. The Pats were starved for talented receivers, and Glenn was the PERFECT draft choice at that time, you knew he would be a starter the minute he got his jersey. The current Pat’s receivers ahead of Thornton had 215 catches and 2654 yards last year. Sure, Pats are desperate for speed, but I just don’t see Thornton beating any of those guys out right away.
You’re not thinking logically. This isn’t 1996 or 2006 when the team was desperate for IMMEDIATE WR help.
Except, they are desperate for WR help and have been for the last 3 years. Since 2019, they’ve been among the worst teams in creating separation. In fact, Evan Lazar pointed out that the Pats were 25th in yards of separation per target in 2021 (especially deep down field) according to Next Gen stats.

Jacobi Myers being your #1 WR will not get it done and that’s why they took a chance on trading for Parker and drafted Thornton. Agholor has been a disaster but Bourne was a nice bargain signing.

With that being said, any team drafting a WR in the 2nd round as their “5th WR” needs to get their heads examined. Pats drafted him to compete early. I expect him to get a ton of playing time this year.

Except, they are desperate for WR help and have been for the last 3 years. Since 2019, they’ve been among the worst teams in creating separation. In fact, Evan Lazar pointed out that the Pats were 25th in yards of separation per target in 2021 (especially deep down field) according to Next Gen stats.

Jacobi Myers being your #1 WR will not get it done and that’s why they took a chance on trading for Parker and drafted Thornton. Agholor has been a disaster but Bourne was a nice bargain signing.

With that being said, any team drafting a WR in the 2nd round as their “5th WR” needs to get their heads examined. Pats drafted him to compete early. I expect him to get a ton of playing time this year.

Perhaps pedantic, but I don't fully agree that Agholor has been a "disaster" (or any other catastrophic descriptor that's used).

Disappointing? Underwhelming? Poor value relative to contract? Sure.

Disaster? He seems like a good teammate, isn't a malcontent, was always stoked for teammates when they made plays, and was in his first season with a new team. Not sure what this season will hold for him but I'll try to remain optimistic. Even if he does nothing else, I wouldn't describe his time here as a disaster. If he becomes a locker-room cancer or murders someone, then yeah, disaster.

These are some of the little things that Tyquan needs to learn to become a better route runner. I especially enjoy the film of Julian Edelman. The dude was a total gamer, didn't have the most talent or athleticism, but absolutely squeezed every ounce out of it to win his matchups.

Julian Edelman Part 1:

Julian Edelman Part 2:

he made two Pro Bowls in Oakland. His second and third years after leaving. He didn’t make the pro bowl his last two years in NE. I think one could argue he was more obscure at the end of his tenure in NE than in Oakland. His last was an all pro his third year after leaving.
My memory of that trade was the disappointment that we didn't get a better pick from the Raiduhs. I was expecting a top ten pick but it ended up middle of the road instead.

These are some of the little things that Tyquan needs to learn to become a better route runner. I especially enjoy the film of Julian Edelman. The dude was a total gamer, didn't have the most talent or athleticism, but absolutely squeezed every ounce out of it to win his matchups.

Julian Edelman Part 1:

Julian Edelman Part 2:

Yeah i guess so. Don't need him to do slot cuts and digs, leave it to Meyers and Bourne. See attached video i think would be more suited to his skills.
Just remember, if it runs as fast as Moss, and is as tall as Moss, you can assume he could be like Moss.

And this is totally irrelevant to the discussion since we're talking about Patriots players leaving to play with other teams.
No, I stated Patriots who were drafted and where BB decided if they would stay on the team.

Gronk retired rather than play for BB anymore and Brady asked Kraft to let him leave.

There’s no reason why he shouldn’t get playing time as this is an era where it’s a lot easier for offensive players to hit the ground running.

Parker should be the day 1 starter on the outside with Thornton pushing Agholor for the other side.
Exactly

Look at all the WRs in the Harry draft who had phenomenal rookie seasons. The Steelers and Chiefs are expecting production day 1 from their top pick 2022 drafted WRs. The NFL is structured for rookie playmakers to showcase their talents more now than ever. Chicago Bears Rookie Darnell Mooney had opposing DBs talking to keep an eye on this guy because he can play.

he made two Pro Bowls in Oakland. His second and third years after leaving. He didn’t make the pro bowl his last two years in NE. I think one could argue he was more obscure at the end of his tenure in NE than in Oakland. His last was an all pro his third year after leaving.
Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Demarcus Ware, Terrell Suggs, Jared Allen, Chris Long were more popular than Seymour. The only time that I recall hearing about Seymour was when he came back to Foxboro to play the Pats. He was a Ghost in that game.

Oakland was like Siberia where Seymour lived out his last days.

You’re not thinking logically. This isn’t 1996 or 2006 when the team was desperate for IMMEDIATE WR help. Also, the trade up was 4 spots from 54 to 50, and gave up a 5th round pick to do so, it’s not like we made a major trade to move up 4 slots. Right or wrong, They obviously didn’t think Thornton would be there at 54. But like another poster stated, selecting Thornton isn’t just about 2022, it’s more for 2023 when Thornton will get tons of playing time. Accountability for a player we JUST drafted, well that’s kinda silly.
You're missing the point on whether we got TT at 50 or 54 or even at 60.
Those are high value picks, it's universally understood by teams, players and fans that they're meant to be impact picks. There are expectations that comes that come with being a 1st or 2nd RD pick. Again that's universally understood.

So yes its more than fair to have expectations for a guy drafted that high.

As for the WR corp it's good but closer to 20 than 10. I've defended them from crazy people who think they're the worst on the league. They're good, maybe slightly above average but we clearly have been looking to upgrade. This team has been looking for / to upgrade its WR corp for years. From Harry, Sanu, Gordon, Brown, signing Bourne, Agholor to trading up for Thornton.

So considering Thornton's skill set (different from the rest of the group), draft capital and current group it's more than "logical" to expect more than 20 rec & WR5. That would be a big disappointment considering we drafted him to be WR1.

And to that point, yes accountability isn't a bad thing at all. I didn't call for Bill's head or to tear up the scouting department. I'm pretty objective and level-headed when it comes to this stuff. Accountability isn't a bad thing and something you should welcome if you're good at what you do. Hardly silly, especially when there's very little, overall, in the draft community.

Last edited:
With the tackiness of gloves today, hand size is far less of a concern for receivers. I think hand size is far more important to a QB than a receiver. I think the hand size thing on Thornton is way overrated.

Who doesn’t love a link behind a paywall, amirite?
It's not behind a paywall? Not for me anyway, maybe it's only paywalled for residents of the US?

Anyway, its nothing groundbreaking. Just that Thornton was on the board as a second round pick for Packers, Saints and others.

Who doesn’t love a link behind a paywall, amirite?
New England is taking heat in media post-draft grades for reaching, but what emerged in pre-draft conversations is that Baylor wideout Tyquan Thornton wasn't necessarily a reach for many teams. The Patriots' second-round pick (No. 50) also was on the radar of the Packers, Saints and others as a Day 2 option. He combined the 4.28 speed with strong interviews, as teams liked his football acumen. Some saw him as a Day 3 prospect, to be sure. But he was a classic riser in the weeks leading up to the draft, and the Patriots visited with him very late in the process, which was telling.

"[The] Patriots need outside speed in the worst way, so this makes sense for them," an NFC scout said.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back