PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Saturday 12/9/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
I’m not sure why people don’t realize that Zappe needed to develop and improve and that is done by practicing and playing. He’s a better football player today that he was in august because he’s had almost a full season of practice time and almost 200 snaps.
It’s not mutually exclusive to say he hadn’t proven himself by august but at least to some degree has now.

And it is nowhere near too soon to give up on 10. A player who isn’t able to execute plays the way they are designed can’t play. He isn’t given up on because of results, he is given up on because of how he plays.
I think you missed the part where I said one good half is now enough for me to want Zappe the rest of the way and not Mac. My point is that Mac got as many opportunities as he got not just because he was picked 15 but also because his competition didn't warrant sitting someone you invested so much in. Hopefully he has improved since getting cut during Camp cut downs and those hundreds of snaps but while one half is enough for me to give him the last 4 games he still has a long way to go before I actually agree he's improved.

A couple of notes from yesterday in case you missed these:

I was wrong on Wilson. I thought he was a liability last year and not impressed early on, but he has been making plays since getting more time. A good player.

I think you missed the part where I said one good half is now enough for me to want Zappe the rest of the way and not Mac. My point is that Mac got as many opportunities as he got not just because he was picked 15 but also because his competition didn't warrant sitting someone you invested so much in. Hopefully he has improved since getting cut during Camp cut downs and those hundreds of snaps but while one half is enough for me to give him the last 4 games he still has a long way to go before I actually agree he's improved.
I was referring to this

Had he not shown what he did Thursday by then I probably would have wanted to see Mac one more time.

I mean he was a first Rd pick why give up on it too soon.

I was referring to this

Had he not shown what he did Thursday by then I probably would have wanted to see Mac one more time.

I mean he was a first Rd pick why give up on it too soon.
Oh right exactly but now it's over

I totally get your point regarding exhausting options for Mac - especially after that huge tease of a game against the Bills. My hook for starting was a few games back (maybe even the Bears game...), but in BB's shoes, I get it. I probably would've done the same thing knowing as soon as I sit Mac, there's really no going back, as Mac looks like he'd be into extreme self flagellation.

That being said, about Zappe, he was the 1st rookie QB to win his 1st 2 starts and post at least a 100 rating in each game since Sonny J in 1957, and that's with Patty as the OC. He looked phenomenal during the Browns game - a lot of the same stuff we saw in the 1st half against the Steelers. He showed something special as a starter even before 2023 TC and wasn't allowed to show it again until a pouring rain game where even the 6th pick overall with weapons looked horrible. I'm guessing you can count on 1 hand the list of QBs who posted 3 100 rating games in their 1st 4 starts and won the 3 games. Sony J actually did it for his 1st 3 games then had a 2.5 rating for his 4th. Woof. Marino had 3 out of 4 100's but was 1-3. He's the only other guy I've found to have 3. I'll guess we'll find out next week if he's for real.

Edit: Oops forgot the obvious - Brock Purdy had a 100 rating in 3 of his 1st 4 starts and won all 4 of them. He's been quite the unicorn, especially since he had a 30.1 in his 1st relief appearance.

Last edited:
Good read:
I like Curran.

I think that’s a crappy take.

Yes, it’s been a miserable year with miserable QB play.

This isn’t 1992. The league is different. The pats have a strong young core, tons of money, great draft capital.

And if there was any thought that BB lost the locker room, the players seemed to put a big middle finger up on that notion.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
Back