PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Saturday 12/9/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score

A couple of notes from yesterday in case you missed these:

Last edited:
Belichick’s postgame speech:

Pat McAfee on Thursday nights game:

1. Fire BB, but say goodbye to that clever blitz design pressuring Tribisky into an INT. The Pats always have a good defense and this defense could have been great with Judon, Gonzalez and Marcus Jones.

2. The Patriots HAD to play Jones no matter how good or bad he looked in camp and practice. The fact that Jones looked great in training camp proves what a farce it is when your QB is wearing a red no contact jersey and playing vs your own team who cant breathe on you.

Jones had the starting job locked up because of where he was picked in the draft.

3. BB had to exhaust every possibility that Jones was the Pats franchise QB. That has been done. BB placed Zappe in impossible situations to succeed (just so Jones could still be the guy) entering 2 - 30 point deficit games and another game with less than 2:00 minutes on the clock and barely warmed up.

4. I still believe that BB is coming back. He just picked up an Eagles LB off waivers taking advantage of the Pats position on the waiver wire. If BB was leaving then screw it because there is only a few games left. Let the next NE HC worry about the 2024 roster and making the team better.

I highlighted this in the weekly because Dugger had dropped into coverage from a similar look a few times and Trubisky had looked his way, ostensibly to exploit Dugger's coverage abilities. Trubisky really didn't expect this one at all and panicked. Very awesome setup.

A note on Watt

If you’re old school, Bob’s a great follow ;)

1. Fire BB, but say goodbye to that clever blitz design pressuring Tribisky into an INT. The Pats always have a good defense and this defense could have been great with Judon, Gonzalez and Marcus Jones.

2. The Patriots HAD to play Jones no matter how good or bad he looked in camp and practice. The fact that Jones looked great in training camp proves what a farce it is when your QB is wearing a red no contact jersey and playing vs your own team who cant breathe on you.

Jones had the starting job locked up because of where he was picked in the draft.

3. BB had to exhaust every possibility that Jones was the Pats franchise QB. That has been done. BB placed Zappe in impossible situations to succeed (just so Jones could still be the guy) entering 2 - 30 point deficit games and another game with less than 2:00 minutes on the clock and barely warmed up.

4. I still believe that BB is coming back. He just picked up an Eagles LB off waivers taking advantage of the Pats position on the waiver wire. If BB was leaving then screw it because there is only a few games left. Let the next NE HC worry about the 2024 roster and making the team better.
Don't forget Zappe wasn't impressing anyone he had a tough off-season and camp.

Had Zappe been coming on like TB vs Drew in TBs second year he might have made decisions harder. And don't underestimate how hard the Drew/Brady decision was despite Bill liking TBs camp.

And BB didn't place Zappe in bad situations. You take your starter out in blowouts I don't even really consider that anything. Then BB finally hit his breaking point and benched Mac crazy enough with 1 drive left in the game but we all know those circumstances. At this point he probably should of just gave up but at the time I thought it was worth it just to see if Mac had any response to really getting benched. He didn't so Zappe time.

Had Zappe not put up the first half he did Thursday I was still considering giving Mac one more shot. I'd have probably started Zappe vs Chiefs and give him a pass regardless cause it's the Chiefs and then started him vs Denver too. Had he not shown what he did Thursday by then I probably would have wanted to see Mac one more time.

I mean he was a first Rd pick why give up on it too soon.

Hopefully Zappe just continues to improve and we are all left wishing we had gone to him sooner but right now I think other than that last start for Mac we pretty much did what we had to do in exhausting all possibilities for Mac.

Don't forget Zappe wasn't impressing anyone he had a tough off-season and camp.

Had Zappe been coming on like TB vs Drew in TBs second year he might have made decisions harder. And don't underestimate how hard the Drew/Brady decision was despite Bill liking TBs camp.

And BB didn't place Zappe in bad situations. You take your starter out in blowouts I don't even really consider that anything. Then BB finally hit his breaking point and benched Mac crazy enough with 1 drive left in the game but we all know those circumstances. At this point he probably should of just gave up but at the time I thought it was worth it just to see if Mac had any response to really getting benched. He didn't so Zappe time.

Had Zappe not put up the first half he did Thursday I was still considering giving Mac one more shot. I'd have probably started Zappe vs Chiefs and give him a pass regardless cause it's the Chiefs and then started him vs Denver too. Had he not shown what he did Thursday by then I probably would have wanted to see Mac one more time.

I mean he was a first Rd pick why give up on it too soon.

Hopefully Zappe just continues to improve and we are all left wishing we had gone to him sooner but right now I think other than that last start for Mac we pretty much did what we had to do in exhausting all possibilities for Mac.
I’m not sure why people don’t realize that Zappe needed to develop and improve and that is done by practicing and playing. He’s a better football player today that he was in august because he’s had almost a full season of practice time and almost 200 snaps.
It’s not mutually exclusive to say he hadn’t proven himself by august but at least to some degree has now.

And it is nowhere near too soon to give up on 10. A player who isn’t able to execute plays the way they are designed can’t play. He isn’t given up on because of results, he is given up on because of how he plays.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back