PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Rumors: Eliot Wolf ‘Pushing Hard’ For This QB Prospect

I’m more interested in which quarterback McAdoo likes.

I’m fairly sure that the biggest reason McAdoo is here is specifically to help choose a QB and make sure he gets what he needs to succeed.

I think Pauline is full of it, I can’t remember the last time he got a scoop, but I wouldn’t be surprised if McCarthy is actually highly coveted. McAdoo has done a good job identifying which QBs that need a lot of projection actually become good. McCarthy would be one such prospect - not a ton of tape but the physical talent is there and he might actually be really good with some development. I could see someone thinking McCarthy might actually be better than Maye, but it takes a lot of projecting to come to that conclusion and you could easily be wrong. The plus side is that he has very clean footwork, he’s smart and he played with a safe style in college so he’s unlikely to “bust” completely in the worst case, he likely ends up at a minimum as a safe low end starter. Maye is very much boom-or-bust.

If I had to guess on motivations if this rumor is true - the team may like McCarthy, but still rank Daniels ahead of him. They may want Washington to take McCarthy so that Daniels falls to 3. But in the event that they don’t bite and Daniels goes at 2 anyway, then no one’s stopping them from taking McCarthy at 3. Doesn’t matter much if teams know they like him at that stage.

Little worried that the people who liked Mac will forego a strong arm for a weaker arm just based on poor play last season.

Im always reminded that Dan Marino as a junior was the sure fire #1 pick in the draft. He went back to college for his final year. Then after a bad senior year, he dropped to the end of the 1st round.

Little worried that the people who liked Mac will forego a strong arm for a weaker arm just based on poor play last season.

Im always reminded that Dan Marino as a junior was the sure fire #1 pick in the draft. He went back to college for his final year. Then after a bad senior year, he dropped to the end of the 1st round.
Marino is a interesting point,
I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion Maye has a stronger arm or can throw better on the run than McCarthy,

I’m fairly sure that the biggest reason McAdoo is here is specifically to help choose a QB and make sure he gets what he needs to succeed.

This.

Me: Sees thread title
Me: Says to myself "anyone but JJ McCarthy oh please oh please anyone but JJ McCarthy."
Me after clicking report link:

1712015566586.png
If the Patriots pick McCarthy then it is clear their plan is to suck for Arch Manning.

I saw a good amount of UM games and at no point did I ever think he would be a first round pick nevermind a top 3 pick.

I don't think I saw any 1st round pick talks at all during the season.

Only after UM won the championship has this talk gain momentum.

He could turn out to be a fantastic NFL QB but he didn't look like one at all in college.

McCarthy will be the best pro in this draft class. Watch his game against Ohio State. He throws lasers with pinpoint accuracy all over the field. He will be deadly in the short to intermediate passing game. McCarthy has good mobility and all the intangibles. He’s also 3 years younger than Daniels. McCarthy needs to learn to arc the ball with more touch, but that, like 3 point shooting in basketball will come with time

Daniels wasn’t even an NFL prospect when he was McCarty’s age. Daniels has a slight frame and runs to much to hold up for long in the NFL. I like Maye, but McCarthy may have as much upside, with less downside.

Picking McCarthy would make Wolf look like a genius in short order.

But when is truth season?

Season 3 What GIF by Animal Kingdom on TNT

Such bs. If he did want JJM he would never let this slip
If it is true it did not come from Wolf.

Last edited:
Man I really feel like I'm in a fever dream where everyone is in on the joke except me - I do not understand the praise for McCarthy. I've been watching highlights. He throws slowly, he processes slowly, and he makes weird choices on the scramble that will be easy to snuff out. I saw in the OSU game how he threw across his body while running in the opposite direction. The NFL loves it when you try to do that.
His lone TD against the Buckeyes was solid, though.

I think a lot of that "intelligent, smart" play (which that I don't even get because he doesn't process fast) isn't gonna be enough in the NFL. If I'm wrong af when the day comes, I'll happily eat crow.

Actually the drug rumors were partly responsible for his draft slide as well..

Man I really feel like I'm in a fever dream where everyone is in on the joke except me - I do not understand the praise for McCarthy. I've been watching highlights. He throws slowly, he processes slowly, and he makes weird choices on the scramble that will be easy to snuff out. I saw in the OSU game how he threw across his body while running in the opposite direction. The NFL loves it when you try to do that.
His lone TD against the Buckeyes was solid, though.

I think a lot of that "intelligent, smart" play (which that I don't even get because he doesn't process fast) isn't gonna be enough in the NFL. If I'm wrong af when the day comes, I'll happily eat crow.
I think a lot of the hype comes from a hope that he will be the next “Tom Brady”
Michigan grad
Good looking
Good leader
Well spoken

But its mostly wishful thinking. I do not think his game is anything like TB12

I understand totally
I did not want McCarthy until I watched some tape

Daniels was a second round pick also and flew up mock boards
The only 2 that was always 1and 2 are Caleb/Mayes

We only say he was a second rounder. But those are Mock dudes.
I remember Will Levi’s last year was going to go in top 5. He went in 2nd round
Pro teams boards are the real deal.
We will see. I think this is a red herring though as far as Wolf. But I do think JJ will go early
Daniels threw 40 tds granted he's had some good wrs. Hope it's not like Mac

McCarthy is so great that Michigan decided to run the ball 32 times in a row against Penn State at a point in the game where the outcome was still very much in question.

subterfuge
subterfuge. Good word. Rolls off the tongue. After 3 whiskies  really rolls off the tongue.
Chalktalk time, people.
Imma break it down for y'all.
From the Latin: sub(under) ter( short for terra, which is land or earth)fuge( short for flies).
So under earth flies. There ya go.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back