PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots OTA's 5-23-2022

You want Trent Brown on Mac’s blindside if Wynn is out indefinitely IMO. He’s the widest guy in the league, it’s like driving around the Grand Canyon… but who knows, they value continuity on the OLine.

In game they’ll send Herron in, but any longer than that I’m not sure. They might slide Onwenu out to RT and play another guard inside if they like the look of the new guys. All guesses at this point, but I like the OL room a lot.

Huh? Wynn is absent for a voluntary practice and he is now potentially out “indefinitely”? Did I miss some other news about him? If I recall correctly, there was a lot of hand-wringing and a lot of “here we go again” posts around here after Wynn missed OTA practices either last year or the year before and it turned out to be much ado about nothing.

What is going on with that helmet ? It looks similar to the others. Since the newer standards are in place for helmets I can’t tell the difference.
1653365813704.png

Look at the air vents of the helmet. That's markedly different than the helmet that Mac or other players are wearing. It's like two raised ridges about 2 inches wide with a 3 inch gap between them running down the center of the helmet.

Bourne and the other receivers
1653366052303.png

Kevin Harris: (from the Mini-Camo Shots)
1653366336450.png

I never want a qb who looks like a bodybuilder. They all have sucked. More susceptible to injury especially shoulder where you need fluidity

QBs with sense don’t use PEDs to get jacked. Most athletes don’t anymore. Peyton Manning was a blob but we know he was dopped up on HGH to keep his surgically infused neck together through the strains of pro football. You bounce back from hits better, don’t need as much time in the tub between games, and while you might not be stronger through raw muscle mass you are less fatigued as you practice and play so those throws in the 4th quarter have the same zip as in the 1st.

So Belichick is a little nervous also on the offensive side of the ball. He is doing a tryout for Joe Judge and Matty P also it sounds like. I hope this does not blow up Mac Jones head, you know "TMI" To much information... Lot of chefs with big ego's....Oh, great great coverage on this website, hats off to this board, LOVE IT!

If I recall correctly, there was a lot of hand-wringing and a lot of “here we go again” posts around here after Wynn missed OTA practices either last year or the year before and it turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Except Wynn's been a disappointment.

View attachment 43179

Look at the air vents of the helmet. That's markedly different than the helmet that Mac or other players are wearing. It's like two raised ridges about 2 inches wide with a 3 inch gap between them running down the center of the helmet.

Bourne and the other receivers
View attachment 43180

Kevin Harris: (from the Mini-Camo Shots)
View attachment 43181
I see that now. And that's a 3rd different type of helmet for him...

1653392828601.png

*The team will continue their practices in Foxborough but the media won't be on hand again until May 31. That will be followed by the mandatory three-day mini-camp that is scheduled for June 7-9.

quick question. Any comments on Mac that said he's gained any velocity. I was hoping his time with Tom House would have add a visible increase in velocity.

I will say what I say every year, you really cannot conclude much for even anything from OTAs. But a few takes anyway:
  • Jones not only looks thinner, but may have already bulked up a little bit. His arms and shoulders seem to look to have a little more bulk to them rather than his mid section. He doesn't look as gangly.
  • The few throws I seen in the video do seem to have a bit more velocity to them than last year, but that could be deceptive especially with such a small sample size.
  • The fact that Trent Brown is in "shape" and playing LT now may be telling. I am wondering if the reason they never tried to move him to LT last year was because of his girth and injury. Last thing you want is a slow moving LT in an offense where receivers weren't quick to get open. If he has dropped 20-30lbs, that might give him the speed to protect Jones' blindside.
  • Something tells me Jonnu Smith is going to have a rebound year. Doubtful he will ever become what we hoped he would be, but I think he will be productive. i guess that is more a gut feel than anything I have seen or read about OTAs.
  • Parker looks the part of a #1 WR in shorts. Let's hope he does the same on game day.

Huh? Wynn is absent for a voluntary practice and he is now potentially out “indefinitely”? Did I miss some other news about him? If I recall correctly, there was a lot of hand-wringing and a lot of “here we go again” posts around here after Wynn missed OTA practices either last year or the year before and it turned out to be much ado about nothing.
He missed last year's OTA's as well and came into training camp out of shape and got off to a slow start. Not a good way to start the year when you are on the last year of a rookie contract. There has been nothing that I have heard about him being out "indefinitely" but not a good sign that he didn't show up.

TEAM TALK

LOCAL LINKS
  • Evan Lazar’s Notebook: Bill Belichick heavily involved with offense at Patriots OTAs.
  • Alex Barth’s OTA Notebook Day 1: Back on the field in Foxborough. Attendance, rookie standouts; More.
  • Andrew Callahan’s Patriots OTAs observations: Bill Belichick leads the offense, Mac Jones shines and more.
  • Phil Perry’s Patriots OTA observations: Mac Jones in great shape thanks to improved diet; DeVante Parker,, Jabrill Peppers; More.
  • Zack CoxOTAs Observations: Day 1 Of spring practice. Attendance, QB report, plays of the day; More.
  • Chris Mason’s 9 Patriots OTA observations: DeVante makes play of the day; More.
  • Evan Lazar talks about some under-the-radar storylines after viewing OTAs on Monday. Along the offensive line, first-rounder Cole Strange looks like a plug-and-play starter at left guard.
  • Tom E. Curran details the roles of each coach during Monday’s session, and wonders whether Belichick will be the de facto offensive coordinator/playcaller going forward.
  • Phil Perry describes who was coaching who at yesterday’s OTAs; Belichick being more active on the offensive side of the ball makes sense given the relative inexperience Judge and Patricia have as day-to-day offensive coaches in New England.
  • Hayden Bird relays Bill Belichick talking about Patriots play-calling at the start of OTAs.
  • Andrew Callahan reports LBs Raekwon McMillan, Cameron McGrone are ready to take over in the middle.
  • Khari Thompson finds Jack Jones a surprising rookie standout on Day 1 of Patriots OTAs.
  • Karen Guregian explains why Mac Jones’ offseason makeover is a reason for optimism.
  • Mike D’Abate (Patriots Country) Mac Jones at OTAs: Leaner, meaner, better?
  • Mike D’Abate (Patriots Country) Mac Jones embracing offensive staff changes: ‘Good group of coaches.’
  • Mike Reiss notes Mac Jones’ offseason conditioning is evident to his teammates: ‘He’s in the best shape of his life.’
  • Karen Guregian highlights Mac Jones with some interesting things to say about his relationship with Joe Judge. “The goal is to kind of teach each other, move along, and take what he knows, take the experiences that I have, and combine them, and work together as a great team.”
  • Zack Cox notes Jonnu Smith says he’s glad he’s at OTAs after skipping last year. ‘I’m just a big believer, and I’m seeing it coming to fruition.’
  • mikereis (Gillette Gazette) Keep or trade? 6 players who if they stay or leave will make the Patriots dangerous.
  • Richie Whitt (Patriots Country) Veteran kicker Nick Folk appears to again be one of New England’s most consistent players.
  • Kevin Tame, Jr. (Patriots Country) Hidden gem? Former NFL Executive of Year praises Patriots pick of Bailey Zappe.
  • Dakota Randall notes Mac Jones, unlike Ryan Tannehill, is eager to mentor his understudy QB, Bailey Zappe.
  • Ian Logue (PatsFans) Patriots announce updated player jersey numbers.
  • Nick Goss notes NFL Network includes Mac Jones among dark horse NFL MVP candidates.
  • Ian Logue (PatsFans) Patriots News 5/23: Five things to know. All five are about the coaching staff concerns. /lolz.
  • Scott Neville says plenty of Patriots showed up to support the Celtics in Pivotal Game 4 vs. Heat.
  • Locked On Patriots podcast: Mike and Murph discuss the start of OTAs and the most intriguing offensive storylines. (44 min.)
  • Patriots Wire podcast: Henry McKenna talks with Baylor head coach Dave Aranda on what to expect from Patriots WR Tyquan Thornton in Year 1. (37 min.)
  • Locked On Patriots podcast: Mike D’Abate gives his thoughts on the coaching staff, and why some of the criticism is both premature and unfair. (32 min.)

Something tells me Jonnu Smith is going to have a rebound year. Doubtful he will ever become what we hoped he would be, but I think he will be productive. i guess that is more a gut feel than anything I have seen or read about OTAs.

Last year Smith missed OTA's because of the birth of his daughter. And then he dealt with injuries. According to Belichick, TE is the most complex position on the roster aside from QB, so there is certainly reasonable hope for improvement.

TEAM TALK

LOCAL LINKS
  • Evan Lazar’s Notebook: Bill Belichick heavily involved with offense at Patriots OTAs.
  • Alex Barth’s OTA Notebook Day 1: Back on the field in Foxborough. Attendance, rookie standouts; More.
  • Andrew Callahan’s Patriots OTAs observations: Bill Belichick leads the offense, Mac Jones shines and more.
  • Phil Perry’s Patriots OTA observations: Mac Jones in great shape thanks to improved diet; DeVante Parker,, Jabrill Peppers; More.
  • Zack CoxOTAs Observations: Day 1 Of spring practice. Attendance, QB report, plays of the day; More.
  • Chris Mason’s 9 Patriots OTA observations: DeVante makes play of the day; More.
  • Evan Lazar talks about some under-the-radar storylines after viewing OTAs on Monday. Along the offensive line, first-rounder Cole Strange looks like a plug-and-play starter at left guard.
  • Tom E. Curran details the roles of each coach during Monday’s session, and wonders whether Belichick will be the de facto offensive coordinator/playcaller going forward.
  • Phil Perry describes who was coaching who at yesterday’s OTAs; Belichick being more active on the offensive side of the ball makes sense given the relative inexperience Judge and Patricia have as day-to-day offensive coaches in New England.
  • Hayden Bird relays Bill Belichick talking about Patriots play-calling at the start of OTAs.
  • Andrew Callahan reports LBs Raekwon McMillan, Cameron McGrone are ready to take over in the middle.
  • Khari Thompson finds Jack Jones a surprising rookie standout on Day 1 of Patriots OTAs.
  • Karen Guregian explains why Mac Jones’ offseason makeover is a reason for optimism.
  • Mike D’Abate (Patriots Country) Mac Jones at OTAs: Leaner, meaner, better?
  • Mike D’Abate (Patriots Country) Mac Jones embracing offensive staff changes: ‘Good group of coaches.’
  • Mike Reiss notes Mac Jones’ offseason conditioning is evident to his teammates: ‘He’s in the best shape of his life.’
  • Karen Guregian highlights Mac Jones with some interesting things to say about his relationship with Joe Judge. “The goal is to kind of teach each other, move along, and take what he knows, take the experiences that I have, and combine them, and work together as a great team.”
  • Zack Cox notes Jonnu Smith says he’s glad he’s at OTAs after skipping last year. ‘I’m just a big believer, and I’m seeing it coming to fruition.’
  • mikereis (Gillette Gazette) Keep or trade? 6 players who if they stay or leave will make the Patriots dangerous.
  • Richie Whitt (Patriots Country) Veteran kicker Nick Folk appears to again be one of New England’s most consistent players.
  • Kevin Tame, Jr. (Patriots Country) Hidden gem? Former NFL Executive of Year praises Patriots pick of Bailey Zappe.
  • Dakota Randall notes Mac Jones, unlike Ryan Tannehill, is eager to mentor his understudy QB, Bailey Zappe.
  • Ian Logue (PatsFans) Patriots announce updated player jersey numbers.
  • Nick Goss notes NFL Network includes Mac Jones among dark horse NFL MVP candidates.
  • Ian Logue (PatsFans) Patriots News 5/23: Five things to know. All five are about the coaching staff concerns. /lolz.
  • Scott Neville says plenty of Patriots showed up to support the Celtics in Pivotal Game 4 vs. Heat.
  • Locked On Patriots podcast: Mike and Murph discuss the start of OTAs and the most intriguing offensive storylines. (44 min.)
  • Patriots Wire podcast: Henry McKenna talks with Baylor head coach Dave Aranda on what to expect from Patriots WR Tyquan Thornton in Year 1. (37 min.)
  • Locked On Patriots podcast: Mike D’Abate gives his thoughts on the coaching staff, and why some of the criticism is both premature and unfair. (32 min.)
Hey Zuma......many thanks for putting this together

So nice to have actual football to talk about again, even if it’s just mini camp

Gets the blood flowing to all the right places AMIRITE!?

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back