PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots OTA’s 6-6-2023

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I heard on Unfiltered Anderson was again at LT and Reifer RT. No idea how often they were there.

Thanks; I'm a bit surprised at the scarcity of commentary about the LT position from some reporters... We did however discover through one of them what music was playing on the loudspeaker, so we have that going for us...

Thanks; I'm a bit surprised at the scarcity of commentary about the LT position from some reporters... We did however discover through one of them what music was playing on the loudspeaker, so we have that going for us...
I love Reiss for 20 years but I have never cared about the ****ing playlists.

I love the chippiness from Cole Strange, he was involved in some early dust ups last year as well… shades of Logan Mankins.

Demario Douglass first through the WR line in position drills is a good sign.

I think the vet WR’s got time off so they could get a look at the young and new guys.

Jalen Mills is your free safety, to prove he can do the job he has to flex into the slot or man up bigger guys outside… ultimate flexibility is the key.

Mafi is healthy and contributing which is a great sign, he was too beat up to workout at his pro day so it’s good to see him healthy now.

They’ll sit Onwenu as long as possible as a concession, he’s a free agent the Pats have been respectful of that in the past.

I wouldn’t twist yourself into a pretzel trying to determine what position Mapu plays, SS or WLB… they’ve used their SS’s in that position for years now.

It won’t surprise me if Pierre Strong gets some snaps beyond the third down position. He proved last year he wasn’t afraid to stick his nose inside and pound the rock. He has game breaking speed, they should get him as many snaps as they can.

What’s all the moaning about LT, Trent is a free agent, he’ll get the same leeway Onwenu gets… they’ll play them both as little as possible outside of actual games. The Pats won’t run them into the ground. Calvin Anderson is the default answer at LT, Reiff and Sow are the answer on the right.

Why isn’t Bryce Baringer out there kicking, are they just getting a look at the other guy?

I love the chippiness from Cole Strange, he was involved in some early dust ups last year as well… shades of Logan Mankins.
Agree
So far…
I think the vet WR’s got time off so they could get a look at the young and new guys.
Agree
Jalen Mills is your free safety, to prove he can do the job he has to flex into the slot or man up bigger guys outside… ultimate flexibility is the key.
IMO Mills isn’t fast enough when we are single deep safety.
Mafi is healthy and contributing which is a great sign, he was too beat up to workout at his pro day so it’s good to see him healthy now.
I am pleasantly surprised
They’ll sit Onwenu as long as possible as a concession, he’s a free agent the Pats have been respectful of that in the past.
Agree
I wouldn’t twist yourself into a pretzel trying to determine what position Mapu plays, SS or WLB… they’ve used their SS’s in that position for years now.
No issues with LB or SS. But now it’s FS.
It won’t surprise me if Pierre Strong gets some snaps beyond the third down position. He proved last year he wasn’t afraid to stick his nose inside and pound the rock. He has game breaking speed, they should get him as many snaps as they can.
ok
What’s all the moaning about LT, Trent is a free agent, he’ll get the same leeway Onwenu gets… they’ll play them both as little as possible outside of actual games. The Pats won’t run them into the ground. Calvin Anderson is the default answer at LT, Reiff and Sow are the answer on the right.
Agree
Why isn’t Bryce Baringer out there kicking, are they just getting a look at the other guy?
Baringer was not there today… I think

Agreed
Let's hope
Probably right
I think he replaces Onwenu next year.
Dugger plays SS. Peppers plays SS. Philips plays SS. I doubt we will see Mapu at SS much.
Let's hope.
What's all the moaning when we are depending on T Brown and C Anderson? What could go wrong?
Rookies at this time of year can have graduation requirements. Lots of reasons why Baringer might not be there.

I am thinking Onwenu will be gone next year and Mafi will be his replacement. Conversely I think Dugger will get paid handsomely to remain a Patriot.

I am thinking I have no idea TODAY June 6th who the hell will even be ON the roster in a few months. Worrying about who/what/where/when next season is a fool's errand IMO.

I am thinking I have no idea TODAY June 6th who the hell will even be ON the roster in a few months. Worrying about who/what/where/when next season is a fool's errand IMO.

Agreed. No way to know, clearly a fool's errand.

But as the Brits say, projecting 12+ months out can be "a bit of fun". If you guess right, you can remind people, if you guess wrong, no-one remembers. Unfortunately for me, even if I guess right, I forget that too.

Still think Marcus Jones starts at free safety. Surprised nobody talks about this possibility. Seems like the best position for him imo. He’s got the speed, tackling and hitting ability despite his size, size wont be abused in man coverage as much as if he played corner. Typically more interception opportunities as a free safety allowing him to use that return ability.

Plus he played all over the place in college, including safety. Always refers to himself as a DB, not a CB

Mapu is going to make me eat crow. I truly believe in Ty Montgomery becoming a big part of the third down offense.

So much uncertainty on the OT front. I have the recurring thought we could have a swap with the Jets: Trent Brown and a draft pick for Mekhi Becton.

They have solid old-timer Duane Brown who’s always been a LT. And Becton is making noises that he also doesn’t want to swap to the right.

Keep flying around, Superman! Er, Marte Mapu.

What’s not to love about the URI WR?
Hard to get excited about any shorts and T-shirt practice, let alone a slowed down version of one.

I like your comment on Montgomery- Rham has good hands but the lack of the 3rd down back really was a bigger loss to the offense than was noticed. I'm hopping Rham will develop better route running to go along with his good hands, and Montgomery fills the James White role for this team.

Becton hasn't proven he can be as good as Trent Brown on a down year, let alone on a good year. I thought about it too when I heard the buzz about him and the signing of DBrown. But it's just too big a risk. You might as well bring back Wynn as trade for him.

Still over 3 months away from a real game

Still think Marcus Jones starts at free safety. Surprised nobody talks about this possibility. Seems like the best position for him imo. He’s got the speed, tackling and hitting ability despite his size, size wont be abused in man coverage as much as if he played corner. Typically more interception opportunities as a free safety allowing him to use that return ability.

Plus he played all over the place in college, including safety. Always refers to himself as a DB, not a CB
I can see it, but finding a good slot corner is harder than finding a good free safety IMO. I think they’d prefer to try him at CB for a while to see how he does and then move him if that turns out to be his best fit. They did the same with McCourty after all.

IMO Mills isn’t fast enough when we are single deep safety.
He ran a 4.47 forty at his pro day, so while not as fast as DMC he's still got decent speed.

Ultimately free safety is about diagnosing and putting oneself in a smart position to make the play... if he's smart and instinctive enough he should be fine.

Barrymore is our guy just like Strange is. We NEED NASTY on both sides of the line. I'm ok with a little man ****. Toughness Matters except don't get a penalty!

I think he replaces Onwenu next year.
Agreed, assuming everyone remains healthy and the rookie linemen are all good.
Dugger plays SS. Peppers plays SS. Philips plays SS. I doubt we will see Mapu at SS much.
All of the guys above play down in the box and function as weak side linebackers, I expect Mapu will blur the lines like the rest of them.
What's all the moaning when we are depending on T Brown and C Anderson? What could go wrong?
If Brown and Anderson/Reiff remain healthy you have good OT's, Sow can potentially provide depth.

Health is a concern for every position group, on every team in the league.

and nothing scheduled today so a good opportunity for review those results.

Barrymore is our guy just like Strange is. We NEED NASTY on both sides of the line. I'm ok with a little man ****. Toughness Matters except don't get a penalty!
Agreed. I loved reading the report until I got to the part where it looked like he threw a punch. That’s the type of ******** that gets you ejected and suspended. He better figure out how to keep that edge but be in control. Last thing we need is another season of him not playing games..

He ran a 4.47 forty at his pro day, so while not as fast as DMC he's still got decent speed.

Ultimately free safety is about diagnosing and putting oneself in a smart position to make the play... if he's smart and instinctive enough he should be fine.
DMcC ran a 4.48 at the Combine, and he's had the top 2 fastest speeds as a ball carrier on the Pats since 2016. 1.60 10yd and 2.65 20yd splits tell the story, noting the split from 20yd to 40yd - makes sense that's the kind of numbers that would make a good safety. Mills went 2.61 20yd to 4.47 40yd, so relatively close to DMcC, speedwise. As you said though, a lot of it is upstairs.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back