PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots hosting Malcolm Butler for a tryout

This whole situation has become the JFK assassination.

There is nothing to think about.

Malcolm wasn't 100% physically and mentally ready to play and the coaching staff made a decision.

At the time Malcolm was pissed but admitted that to be the case.

Thats all it was and all it will ever be.
Malcolm about the coaches: "those mfers."

If he signs here, I will not know what to think any more about his benching. One, he is willing to come back to this same group that treated him like that and two, this same group that treated him like that want him back. What the hell????
or maybe bb was right to bench him. and he is coming back to right his wrong.

'Feel good' development..........or.......................panic move ?

I thought the point of this offseason was to get younger not to run after 30+ players.

What is the next move? Resign Hightower for 5+ years? Trade for Brady? Sign Gronk ? Make Welker come out of retirement with Randy Moss?

I don't think this needs to mean anything really significant. If he's signed you can probably file it in the Terrence Mitchell category, a low cost vet who can compete for a depth spot. If we're getting younger it's not going to be in free agency, it'll be in the draft.

THIS. People underscore the fact that BB never disses a player on the way out. In fact, other that FredEx, who has he dissed ?

Derrick Mason ...

I thought the point of this offseason was to get younger not to run after 30+ players.

What is the next move? Resign Hightower for 5+ years? Trade for Brady? Sign Gronk ? Make Welker come out of retirement with Randy Moss?
these 30+ players are mostly getting 1 year deals and not big cap hits so no biggie

I don't think it's a bad idea to bring Malcolm back. I think it is a bad idea to have Bulter be the only guy they bring in to compete for that role. If Bill is going to go the bargain basement route with corners he better bring in a lot of them.

if hes in for a "tryout" I don't see this being an expensive move... I'd take Malcom over any other CB on the roster right now, sadly... so can't see how this is a bad move if it happens and for short money.

3 pages and no Butler pick gif

bff63bae607772728f99585fb60bf3ef.gif

Edit: It really was such an unbelievable play/read/moment - arguably the best in Patriots' and NFL history.

Last edited:
I’d love to see this, I want a better ending for him here.

if hes in for a "tryout" I don't see this being an expensive move... I'd take Malcom over any other CB on the roster right now, sadly... so can't see how this is a bad move if it happens and for short money.
I definitely wouldn’t take him over Mills or Jones.

This whole situation has become the JFK assassination.

There is nothing to think about.

Malcolm wasn't 100% physically and mentally ready to play and the coaching staff made a decision.

At the time Malcolm was pissed but admitted that to be the case.

Thats all it was and all it will ever be.
I'm calling bullsh*t on this. Butler saw 98% of defensive snaps for the 2017 season and 100% in the two prior postseason games. Butler was active for the game, dressed in uniform, and standing on the sideline. He in fact played one snap on Belichick's precious special teams so he was "ready to play." The defense, the secondary in particular, got completely abused for four straight quarters, and Belichick had another DB at his disposal and chose not to deploy him because he was out to make a spectacle of the player over some personal animus (probably relating to a confrontation Butler had his an assistant coach... Steven Belichick?).

There's a lot to think about, namely how Belichick made a mockery of what's in the best interest of the team and lost the game. Obviously it's a lot easy to say "nothing to see here" than confronting the stark reality of the situation.

Not looking for a debate, just stating my point of view, which I realize isn't going to change minds, so I don't have to say anything more about it.

Regarding the player currently, he's probably worth a tryout considering it's a position of need. I always liked Butler as a player but you have to wonder what he's got left and how a year off may effect him.

Regarding the player currently, he's probably worth a tryout considering it's a position of need. I always liked Butler as a player but you have to wonder what he's got left and how a year off may effect him.
I have no idea if he has anything left

We'll find out.

FWIW, Tennessee fans warmed up to Butler and started to blame the defensive scheming basically making it impossible for CBs to look good.

If the plan is to run primarily zones, he's a scheme fit with Jalen Mills and Terrence Mitchell. Not super fast but a sure tackler.

They could do a lot better in the draft or free agency, but if he's cheap they could do worse. Frankly they shouldn’t give him another penny after screwing over his teammates before the 2017 Super Bowl.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Back