PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots GM Search

But the Krafts didn't put the football minds in charge, the Krafts were pulling the strings on the major decisions. That is the point of the leak - probably leaked from a friend of Bill so potential hiring franchises know BB did not want Mac in 2023 (dumb decision for a football mind).

Why do people keep saying "what RK did with Belichick, put the football minds in charge" when the report is that Kraft was pulling the strings from behind the curtain? (which some of us had already guessed because keeping Mac for 2023 should have made no sense to a football mind).

Guys, Kraft is already pulling the strings, and now does not want to hire a GM. The only conclusion is that the Krafts want to be more involved, pull more strings. Fecking disaster alert!!!

I think Kraft honored that deal for the vast majority of Belichick’s time there. How much he did or didn’t honor it the past 5 years I have no idea. I generally disregard most of the rumors I hear because they are just that, rumors.

If what you are saying is accurate then they will be ****ed going forward.

So, a thought occurred to me this morning - what’s another reason why they would be ambiguous about timing and possibly need to wait so long to get a GM? Well, what if the GM they want is already working for another team?

So, I took a look around the NFL at GM contracts and what I could find. Not always easy to get info on this. The first guy I thought of obviously was Caserio, but he’s on a 6 year deal that still has a couple of years left.

Kept poking around and eventually remembered Jason Licht in Tampa is an ex-NE guy. I checked his contract info… and found that he’s a lame duck. His contract expires at the end of Tampa’s current season, which I assume means once their playoff run ends.

So this got me thinking - what if Tampa has decided to move on from Licht after the season ends, and NE knows this and wants to bring him in? So they’re just waiting on him to become available, but when he’s available is dependent on Tampa’s playoff success?
This is some high-class copium. Nothing but the good stuff.

Maybe.
Though taking slaps from Moe Green seems more likely than pistol whipping his brother in law...no?
Well, either way lets hope he doesn't go through any toll booths or drop a fishing line in the front of a row boat anytime soon...

I think Kraft honored that deal for the vast majority of Belichick’s time there. How much he did or didn’t honor it the past 5 years I have no idea. I generally disregard most of the rumors I hear because they are just that, rumors.

If what you are saying is accurate then they will be ****ed going forward.

Listen to Kraft's press conference where he is asked if in the future coach and GM positions will be consolidated going forward. Kraft's initial response is that BB did not have full control at the beginning. This is a new beginning (like the beginning with BB) and R Kraft is foreshadowing (telling you) what is going to happen for the next few years. RK is the GM. Kraft said it himself. Then RK walked out of the room and leaked that the Pats are not hiring a GM.

What do you think that means? RK likes to pull strings from behind the curtain. I am not not making it up. RK said it. Listen to his press conference.

Where is it coming from that Robert wants to run the show? Yes, for the majority of Bill's time, he stayed out of the way.

That said, the owner has a right to get involved when the drafts keep getting crappier and bad coaching decisions are made. What owner would just stand back and let his franchise burn to the ground?

Where is it coming from that Robert wants to run the show? Yes, for the majority of Bill's time, he stayed out of the way.

That said, the owner has a right to get involved when the drafts keep getting crappier and bad coaching decisions are made. What owner would just stand back and let his franchise burn to the ground?
We've seen this story before.

This is some high-class copium. Nothing but the good stuff.
I didn't say I hope it happens. I'm just throwing out a potential explanation for why they'd take such an unorthodox approach. Not sure how it is "coping".

I didn't say I hope it happens. I'm just throwing out a potential explanation for why they'd take such an unorthodox approach. Not sure how it is "coping".
Because there's no search going on. Nobody else is riding on the white steed to save the day. Curran wrote it - he got it from Kraft and Mayo, that's exactly how it's going to go.

"No one is coming."

caserio has been pretty good outside of new england and Bills shadow. lends creedence that he wasn't the guy making the final picks?

In an article or going back to when he first purchased the team?
When he first purchased the team, when he made Parcells lose his mind and tamper with the Jets of all places, when he fired Pete Carroll despite two of the most dreadful drafts in franchise history, including the alliteration draft, when he forced Belichick to trade Bledsoe, when he forced Belichick to trade Garoppolo before he had to because Brady had a sad about it, when they brought in Cam Newton, when he was forced to draft Mac Jones, when he was forced to KEEP Mac Jones.

These are just the ones with plenty of documentation behind it - including defenses by Kraft. There's plenty more that fall into the 'probably' category.

But the Krafts didn't put the football minds in charge, the Krafts were pulling the strings on the major decisions. That is the point of the leak - probably leaked from a friend of Bill so potential hiring franchises know BB did not want Mac in 2023 (dumb decision for a football mind).

Why do people keep saying "what RK did with Belichick, put the football minds in charge" when the report is that Kraft was pulling the strings from behind the curtain? (which some of us had already guessed because keeping Mac for 2023 should have made no sense to a football mind).

Guys, Kraft is already pulling the strings, and now does not want to hire a GM. The only conclusion is that the Krafts want to be more involved, pull more strings. Fecking disaster alert!!!
The IBIT guys will never give up
Belichick should get all the credit when things go right but the scheming Krafts should get all the blame when things go wrong because they are greedy and power hungry

I wonder what is underlying the power-hungry and scheming assertion?
Not based in facts but unfair stereotypes

My deepest fear is that Kraft spews some loyalty nonsense to Mac and sticks with him.

I’m not sure I can support the team next year if they make that decision. I’ll just have to take a year off until the dust inevitably settles from another disastrous season.

I will always be a fan, but I won’t watch them if Jones or Zappe are at QB. I will make an exception for Zappe in case of injury, but my hope is that they have their QB of the future at #3, and that they sign a Garrapolo or Tannehill for the veteran presence. I’m done with Jones, they should just let him go.

I live in Maine, and I try to make the most out of every nice day we get, so as it is I am usually out playing golf or riding my Mt. bike on any day off, and I avoid the results and watch the game in the evening, and I just won’t bother if Jones is at QB.

when he forced Belichick to trade Bledsoe
What?? There is no way Belichick would or could have kept Bledsoe after 2001. It would have been a mistake of epic proportions, Bledsoe didn't want to stay, either. Trading was the only option.

Looks like there isn't going to be a new way of doing things or some fresh air in this Org.
Tells me more about Ownership than anything else!
Going to be some tough years

Listen to Kraft's press conference where he is asked if in the future coach and GM positions will be consolidated going forward. Kraft's initial response is that BB did not have full control at the beginning. This is a new beginning (like the beginning with BB) and R Kraft is foreshadowing (telling you) what is going to happen for the next few years. RK is the GM. Kraft said it himself. Then RK walked out of the room and leaked that the Pats are not hiring a GM.

What do you think that means? RK likes to pull strings from behind the curtain. I am not not making it up. RK said it. Listen to his press conference.

I don’t believe Kraft wh n he says Belichick didn’t have full control at the beginning. The reason Belichick left the Jets was because Parcells pretended to resign and then appointed himself GM. Belichick wasn’t going to allow Parcells to be in control of his second and likely last chance at a HC job, and every report at the time, and for years after was that Belichick was given total control of football operations, and I think the Bledsoe and Milloy moves certainly indicated that was the case. I do believe Kraft has been interjecting himself more into football decisions since Brady left, but even that decision appeared to best solely with Brady and Belichick.

Either way I think we agree that if the Kraft’s are the ones making the football decisions then they are basically screwed. Owners suck at football operations, and the Kraft’s are no exception to that.

When he first purchased the team, when he made Parcells lose his mind and tamper with the Jets of all places, when he fired Pete Carroll despite two of the most dreadful drafts in franchise history, including the alliteration draft, when he forced Belichick to trade Bledsoe, when he forced Belichick to trade Garoppolo before he had to because Brady had a sad about it, when they brought in Cam Newton, when he was forced to draft Mac Jones, when he was forced to KEEP Mac Jones.

These are just the ones with plenty of documentation behind it - including defenses by Kraft. There's plenty more that fall into the 'probably' category.

I have never seen anything that led me to believe that Kraft was behind the Bledsoe trade, and the truth is that Patriot fans were split down the middle on the Bledsoe/Brady debate. And that didn’t end u til they won their 2nd Lombardi.

This would be a nightmare scenario. Two midgets with no athletic ability and limited football knowledge influencing player personnel decisions. Any optimism that I had about a fresh look at the player acquisition operation with Mayo and a new GM (or so I thought) has vanished. Sounds like that little puke Jonathan has been dreaming about firing Bill for years.

I can kind of see the logic in them going for a special WR high, giving Mac another try with his BFF Josh and an HC that he may jive a bit better with in Mayo, and in the meantime also drafting JJ McCarthy, Bo Nix or Michael Penix later to develop them behind Mac - and probably bring in a low cost veteran, also.
Then the issue is how to divide practice snaps between 3 guys.

Unless you are okay with either not developing the young guy for a year, or not putting the vet to work properly

Looks like there isn't going to be a new way of doing things or some fresh air in this Org.
Tells me more about Ownership than anything else!
Going to be some tough years

or maybe the scouts/personnel people have been having their reports/suggestions overruled? its really the only answer. and kind of what Howe alluded to.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back