PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots GM Search

Peters was hired by the Commanders.

The Patriots really need to modernize and staff up their scouting and personnel department no matter who they get. I think it was Breer who said the Pats had one of the smallest scouting departments under Belichick and they refused to modernize how they did scouting like most of the teams that have been successful in the draft.

The Patriots really need to modernize and staff up their scouting and personnel department no matter who they get. I think it was Breer who said the Pats had one of the smallest scouting departments under Belichick and they refused to modernize how they did scouting like most of the teams that have been successful in the draft.
Ah yes modernize the scouting department. That's the trick. Can you elaborate on what these successful drafting teams are doing differently? Also what's their hit rate? How many standard deviations are they from average?

Figured I would make a thread since there isn’t one for updates about the GM search, really.

Hard, HARD pass on Ziggy the Pinhead, another incompetent toady from Bill's F & Fs Plan, John Carol chapter.

Borgonzi is from Everett and has done a nice job with the Chiefs.
Would prefer a new face come in from outside the organization.

Borgonzi is from Everett and has done a nice job with the Chiefs.
Would prefer a new face come in from outside the organization.
If he's the one I hope he'll try to get fellow Everett Crimson Tide Alum Sainristil from Michigan. Solid smaller DB with slot skills and big heart.

Figured I would make a thread since there isn’t one for updates about the GM search, really.

In my opinion the new GM is the critical piece to the rebuild.

Head Coach has been decided and it looks like Mayo was always where the Pats wanted to go so that's what's happening.

But we've neglected the talent levels of the players for too long.

BB was always in favor of fit and getting the players he liked to coach rather than the best talents for too long.

How else to explain the bizarre N'Keal Harry pick over the scouts recommendations of Deebo Samuel and AJ Brown?

We need to get our personnel decisions right and hire a GM who has successfully built up NFL franchise talent.

I'm also in favor of cleaning out the current personnel department and hiring entirely new staff as well as updating our woefully outdated and understaffed scouting department.

Tyquan Thornton felt like an Al Davis pick for goodness sake, take someone really fast, who cares if he can run routes or get open?

That kind of shallow and faulty player evaluations which has plagued our drafts needs to CHANGE ASAP!

Because there's no search.
Eliot Wolf is your next GM. That's what Curran said, and he got everything right from the source.
This is the one instance where I hope Curran is wrong.

It feels foolhardy not to conduct a thorough search for a new GM if there's no contractual obligation, which reportedly was the condition to keep Mayo with the team.

Bob Kraft needs to do better than just hire retreads for higher positions because he might have given them a handshake a few years ago.

This upcoming draft and free agency period is literally mission critical for the rebuild.

For the first time in a long time the Patriots hold Top 3 draft position and acres of free agency salary cap space to spend.

It's got to be done right or this franchise could be set back for years!

Ah yes modernize the scouting department. That's the trick. Can you elaborate on what these successful drafting teams are doing differently? Also what's their hit rate? How many standard deviations are they from average?

Teams like the Eagles and the 49ers use advanced analytics and data analysis to do their drafting. And the Eagles and 49ers have a far better success rate in the draft than the Patriots. They are both arguably the most talented teams from top to bottom in the league. Hell, the 49ers have traded away so many high draft picks to get players like Garoppolo, McCaffrey, and Lance and still are more successful in the draft than the Patriots.

The Bengals have developed their own elaborate software that they use for scouting to evaluate prospects . They also have a much better success rate in the draft than the Patriots.

Belichick has been vocal about being against the use of analytics in evaluating players. He has several times he isn’t a fan of analytics and never look at them. Breer said the Patriots don’t use them at all for their prep for the draft. It is ironic since he relied so much on analytics through Ernie Adams to make on the field game time decisions.

I am sure there are some teams that over rely on advanced analytics and do a crap job drafting. But other teams use them as part of their draft process and are far more successful at drafting than the Pats.

Maybe instead of being an ass and snarky, you might just ask me to elaborate. You clearly are clueless on the topic. Maybe you might learn something.

Last edited:
In my opinion the new GM is the critical piece to the rebuild.

Head Coach has been decided and it looks like Mayo was always where the Pats wanted to go so that's what's happening.

But we've neglected the talent levels of the players for too long.

BB was always in favor of fit and getting the players he liked to coach rather than the best talents for too long.

How else to explain the bizarre N'Keal Harry pick over the scouts recommendations of Deebo Samuel and AJ Brown?

We need to get our personnel decisions right and hire a GM who has successfully built up NFL franchise talent.

I'm also in favor of cleaning out the current personnel department and hiring entirely new staff as well as updating our woefully outdated and understaffed scouting department.

Tyquan Thornton felt like an Al Davis pick for goodness sake, take someone really fast, who cares if he can run routes or get open?

That kind of shallow and faulty player evaluations which has plagued our drafts needs to CHANGE ASAP!
I'm not a fan of the way people say he only takes players he likes. Find me the GM that drafts players he doesn't like.

I think a more apt way of saying it is that he prioritizes personality traits and system fit way more than other GMs/coaches. Where as I think the most common approach puts way more priority on skill.

If he's the one I hope he'll try to get fellow Everett Crimson Tide Alum Sainristil from Michigan. Solid smaller DB with slot skills and big heart.
With Gonzo back, Marcus Jones back, Bolden back, the growth of Wade and Bryant as back-ups, and hopefully, Alex Austin returning (he was really great), CB is the LEAST of this team's needs. Other than Jon Jones, they're all young and growing.

Surely you could provide a link to the claim
they refused to modernize how they did scouting like most of the teams that have been successful in the draft

Teams like the Eagles and the 49ers use advanced analytics and data analysis to do their drafting. And the Eagles and 49ers have a far better success rate in the draft than the Patriots. They are both arguably the most talented teams from top to bottom in the league. Hell, the 49ers have traded away so many high draft picks to get players like Garoppolo, McCaffrey, and Lance and still are more successful in the draft than the Patriots.

The Bengals have developed their own elaborate software that they use for scouting to evaluate prospects . They also have a much better success rate in the draft than the Patriots.

Belichick has been vocal about being against the use of analytics in evaluating players. He has several times he isn’t a fan of analytics and never look at them. Breer said the Patriots don’t use them at all for their prep for the draft. It is ironic since he relied so much on analytics through Ernie Adams to make on the field game time decisions.

I am sure there are some teams that over rely on advanced analytics and do a crap job drafting. But other teams use them as part of their draft process and are far more successful at drafting than the Pats.

Maybe instead of being an ass and snarky, you might just ask me to elaborate. You clearly are clueless on the topic. Maybe you might learn something.
Lol

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back