PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Fan Jeff Fuller EEE Victim Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest update from Jeff's friend, Frank!

Update: 11/4/2010

Jeff continues his slow but steady progress. He's gained movement in his other foot now. So that gives him movement in both hands and feet and movement in his left arm, wrist and elbow. He's been mouthing words a lot lately and to get him one step closer to talking, they replaced his tracheotomy tube with a smaller one. This one will allow him to at least partially breathe through his mouth and nose. Once he get's used to it, they will be able to cap it and it will allow him to at least whisper.

They continue to slowly increase his central nervous system stimulant and slowly reduce his phenobarbital. As a result of that, he seems to be even more alert. They had him sitting on the side of his bed doing therapy for 45 minutes today. His caregivers are very happy with his progress lately.

He's still got a long road to recovery, but he's moving in the right direction and that's something we can all be thankful for.

Keep up your prayers and positive thoughts. They seem to be working!

He seems to be gaining strength every day! More good news!

75 days since he was inflicted with EEE, from a flippin mosquito bite.

Here is the latest report from frankw

Originally Posted by frankw
Update: 11/4/2010

Jeff continues his slow but steady progress. He's gained movement in his other foot now. So that gives him movement in both hands and feet and movement in his left arm, wrist and elbow. He's been mouthing words a lot lately and to get him one step closer to talking, they replaced his tracheotomy tube with a smaller one. This one will allow him to at least partially breathe through his mouth and nose. Once he get's used to it, they will be able to cap it and it will allow him to at least whisper.

They continue to slowly increase his central nervous system stimulant and slowly reduce his phenobarbital. As a result of that, he seems to be even more alert. They had him sitting on the side of his bed doing therapy for 45 minutes today. His caregivers are very happy with his progress lately.

He's still got a long road to recovery, but he's moving in the right direction and that's something we can all be thankful for.

Keep up your prayers and positive thoughts. They seem to be working!

As Sleeve mention, it's been over 75 days since the bug bite.

Last edited:
Firstly, I would like to acknowledge Ian for graciously hosting a non-sports thread in this particular forum on Jeff's behalf making his situation known to a wide audience of fellow passionate Pats fans -- thank you so much

secondly I would like to thank the Irregular Regulars here like PATSNUTme, shmessy and Box for keeping the thread bumped and stickied (I hesitate mentioning shirtsleeve because most threads he posts in get sticky anyway)

thirdly I would like to thank all of you that have taken time to read this thread and especially those who have done so and been generous enough to send a contribution, no matter the amount, in support of the family

I have delivered DVR'd copies of all the Pats games to date for Jeff's wife/ rehab facility staff to play for him and help in some small measure to stimulate him back to full, normal consciousness and am trusting that the Browns game will Tee him off enough to get him up and out of that bed for good

but in the meanwhile, please keep all your prayers and positive thoughts coming Jeff's way

RG

Firstly, I would like to acknowledge Ian for graciously hosting a non-sports thread in this particular forum on Jeff's behalf making his situation known to a wide audience of fellow passionate Pats fans -- thank you so much

secondly I would like to thank the Irregular Regulars here like PATSNUTme, shmessy and Box for keeping the thread bumped and stickied (I hesitate mentioning shirtsleeve because most threads he posts in get sticky anyway)

thirdly I would like to thank all of you that have taken time to read this thread and especially those who have done so and been generous enough to send a contribution, no matter the amount, in support of the family

I have delivered DVR'd copies of all the Pats games to date for Jeff's wife/ rehab facility staff to play for him and help in some small measure to stimulate him back to full, normal consciousness and am trusting that the Browns game will Tee him off enough to get him up and out of that bed for good

but in the meanwhile, please keep all your prayers and positive thoughts coming Jeff's way

RG

Thanks for the update RG. Its' a very long road that Jeff has. And he is still in the thoughts of many of us.

But hopefully he well enough and fully aware by the time the Patriots make their run to the Super bowl.

Roadgrader's alive! If that doesn't bring Jeff back from the dead nothing will.

boozeshark8.jpg

Here is the latest update from Jeff's friend, frankw

Update 11/10/2010

Jeff had a pretty good day today. They've been capping this trach tube and his oxygen levels have remained normal. The speech therapist would like to keep it capped all day and take the cap off at night. They want to give him every opportunity to talk. His doctors need to approve that, but I would imagine that will happen in the next day or so. This also means he's now able to actually smell things now.

Maureen brought in a Magnadoodle few days ago. They've been writing words on it and Jeff is able to read and whisper/mouth the words back. Today the gave him the pen and asked him to write his name on it, left handed by the way. He wrote a J, a pretty sloppy E, they helped him with the first F and he wrote the second F on his own. This is all great news.

He didn't want to kick the ball today, just shook his head no. So they had him catching and releasing the ball instead. They roll it to him and he traps it with both hands, holds it and releases it wen they tell him to. Thus far he's been able perform all of the therapy tasks they've asked him to.

He's still having trouble keeping his eyes open. They've asked him a number of times and he confirms that his eyelids feel very heavy and he just can't seem to keep them open. They're still trying to figure out why.

A lot of good progress, especially with his communication abilities. Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers!

The thread title does say "fund raising". However, in these times many people cannot make donations and that is understood. But just as important, positive thought and/or prayers are being requested.

Last edited:

RG

God bless, man.

If that Cleveland game abomination serves any good purpose, I hope it is to get Jeff up and raging!

Last edited:
Thank you for the updates, gentlemen, and I'll continue to wish Jeff a full recovery.

I'll be sure to send in a check when I get some extra funds at my disposal.

Bump. Would love to hear on his condition.

Bump. Would love to hear on his condition.

Update 11/26/2010

We made it up to see Jeff yesterday. He wasn't very responsive most of the time we were there. He did come around for 15 minutes or so. We had the Pat's game on and he watched TV most of the time, although he did look at me when I was talking to him. He was doing this mostly with one eye open. And it stiil seemed he was struggling to keep his eyes open.

He's been making good progress with his therapy and he should be moving to to the new rehab center maybe Monday or Tuesday, if a bed is availalbe. They had his trach tube capped for several hours yesterday and he tolerated it well. His wife said he was talking a bit earlier in the day. They will keep increasing the amount of time his trach is capped and eventually they will remove tracheotomy tube all together.

Still slow and steady progress. Hopefully when he gets to the new rehab center the progress will begin to speed up with the additional physical, occupational and speach therapy.

Please keep up the positive thoughts and prayers for Jeff and his family, especially during this holiday season

Lets hope for a holiday miracle here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets hope for a holiday miracle here!
Beat me to it ,sleeve, in posting the latest update. Getting old and slow?:D

I can't help thinking how much Jeff would be into this Jets game coming up. This one shoudl be a classic game in a long divisional rivalry.

Let's keep our positive thoughts and prayers coming, if it helps in a small way his recovery.

Last edited:
Bump. This must be hellish on the family these days. Puts a football game sharply in perspective.

Time to step up again guys, for those of us that can:

Checks made payable to Michelle Fitzgerald FBO Jeffrey Fuller, and sent to:
Eastern Bank
226 Main St.
Wareham, MA 02571

there is also a PayPal Account: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=78JQVTKPBD7AL

I was hoping Jeff would have made a little more progress by now, but I guess that was probably not realistic. It's easy to forget how long the recovery from this takes.

Update from the 8th: Thanks again, Frank!
Update 12/8/2010

Maureen called me this afternoon to report that Jeff's sarcasm muscle is fully functional. He had her laughing. She said to him today that she missed being able to really talk to him and she asked him if he missed talking to her. His response, "Sort of." This morning he had Speech Therapy and Physical Therapy and they decided to give him some time to rest before Occupational Therapy this afternoon. They're cutting him some slack 'cause he's fighting a urinary tract infection right now and is on some antibiotics.

Maureen and the nurse were talking in his room and out comes a big "SHHHH!"
"Oh, I'm sorry are we keeping you awake?"
Nods his head, "yes"
"Want us to keep quiet so you can get to sleep?"
"SHHH!"

By the way, he got his tracheotomy tube removed the other day and that situation is working out well. He's able to speak a bit better, but it's still pretty quiet. He had a good speech therapy session and a good PT session. They put an empty pint glass in front of him and asked him to pick up the "mug." He shook his head, "no." "Jeff pick up the mug." Again shook his head. Maureen interjected, "Jeff pick up the pint glass." He did.

They also had him picking up one of Ben's toy cars and one of his toy NASCAR guys. They had him pick up a Dale Earnhardt Jr. guy a few times. Maureen asked him who it was. Jeff thought for a while. Maureen asked "is it Jimmy Johnson?" Jeff replied, "no...Junior."

He continues to make daily progress and has had a few more visitors lately. If you can fit it in, try and make it up to see him.

Keep up the positive thoughts and prayers. Our Jeff, the "real" Jeff is definitely emerging and can use all the help he can get.

Oh, and teh Rodegraterer @tm went to visit him too. :eek:

This from his friend Frank right after roadgrader's visit...

A little while after you left, Maureen and the kids showed up. One of the kids brought a toy that played "Jingle Bells." They were playing with it and singing and Jeff was singing right along with them. Singing the whole song. He was alert and interacting with Maureen and the kids while they were there. When they were leaving he was able to raise up both arms and give the kids a great big hug.

I'm going to stop by this afternoon before the Bruins game. I'll let you know how it goes.

This is fantastic news! Keep it up Jeff!

Latest upate from FRank W 12/12/10

We made it up to see Jeff yesterday. He was asleep when we arrived but he woke up after a little while. He was talking a good amount, but I couldn't hear most of it. He speaks very softly.

His eyes were mostly closed, that is until his very pretty, young nurse came into the room and introduced herself to us. As soon as she started talking his eyes popped right open. She was there to give him some meds and take his temperature. He watched her the entire time.

After she left, we turned on the Army - Navy game and watched that for a while. He kept his eyes open the rest of the time we were there. As we were leaving, I told him he had to keep up the hard work and that I'd be in to seem him in a few days. He nodded his head and said something, but unfortunately I couldn't hear it.

I haven't been in to see him since Thanksgiving. To me, he definitely looks better.

It does seem as if Jeff has a long way to go from that one bug bite.:eek:

Thanks for the update. I was going to say something about that nurse apparently needing to spend more time with Jeff, but it just didn't seem right to joke about his situation.

Here is the latest udate from FrankW 1/5/11. I'm afraid the news is not positive.

Originally Posted by frankw http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=1636100#post1636100:
Jeff's back at MGH again. He's been fighting another infection and today his liver and white blood cell counts were up so they transferred him back. He's got gall stones that are causing some issues with his gall bladder and they're trying to decide whether they're going to remove it or just remove/treat the stones.

He had just about gotten back to where he was before he got the first infection, but the new one is really sapping his energy.

I think we need a new round of prayers and positive thoughts here, so please keep Jeff and his family on your mind.

Thanks.

Let's all hope that this is a bump in the road, although a big bump, in his recovery. As Frank mentioned,positive thoughts and prayers are needed.

Last edited:
Got a nice handwritten thank you card from the family in the mail yesterday (for a small donation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes