PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots extend offer to Bills RFA RB Mike Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get your hopes up yet, guys. Reiss thinks the bills may match.

Meh.. All he said is that the bills taking this long has him has slightly leaning toward the thought that bills might be inclined to match it.

This isn't coming from a source, it's Reiss rationalizing why the bills seem to be taking their time.

If the bills match definitely expect a rb with one of our selections.

I ALMOST feel bad for the Bills. They have been putting talented rosters together since 2008 imo and they just can't get it to translate to wins and they struggle to hold on to budding superstars ex beast mode, byrd etc.

I guess they get what they deserve after hiring Rex who did little for their offense and started to ruin their borderline elite defense.
They have been totally devoid of talent. That's the problem.
And they dumped lynch who was a problem child there. Byrd sucked they wee correct to let him walk.
They need to learn to draft and sign free agents who are somewhat under the radar and on the way up.
In the long run if they made gillislee their rb1 instead of paying McCoy so much and spent that money in the trenches they would be a better team.
Of course hiring Rex meant they weren't winnng until he was fired, and then they rebuilt from the ashes he left behind.

Don't tell the Bills that
Its kind of annoying they havent responded

If the Bills match it's not because it makes sense for them from a roster building perspective, I mean he is a good player and good players are always good, but in this salary cap musical chairs that is the NFL you'll always have to let good players go.

If they match its going to be to try to save face to not look stupid again letting another player go to succeed in New England, which is per see the definition of stupidity. Players go to succeed on other teams all the time, specially winning teams and the Patriots is the franchise in the better position to make this happen for up and coming players.

IDK Bills are definitely a run first offense. RB get hurt. If it is a good signing for us, I think the argument can be made it is good for them to keep him.

On the other hand it is a high 5th round selection so better than the Patriots original pick so maybe the pick inducement will work

I hate that it makes sense for the Bills to match.

I hate that it makes sense for the Bills to match.

No it doesnt. 4million for a backup rb when you have 8-10in cap space and have other backups makes no sense.

The only reason they are waiting is just to be dinks and make the pats wait until the last minute

If they match they are gonna put themselves in cap hell for a backup, rebuilding teams can't be in cap hell and expect improvements.

If the Bills foolishly match we get one of the young RB's in this year's strong RB class win win if you ask me.

The flip side of the Pats keeping their 5th round pick if the Bills match the offer, aside from gaining that cap space back, is the potential of getting a diamond in the rough for a very low salary......I know the draft is a crap shoot but it's always nice when a late round pick makes an impact on the roster.....Ya never know :D

I forgot how long do the Bills have to so something before it becomes official?

Monday at 4:00?

Unless the new coaching staff is absolutely in love with Gill or Whaley has 5-day panic attack of another Bills player making it in NE they will not match.

New coaches 98% of the time prefer more cap and picks than players from the previous roster.

Adding 2.2M to what they planned to pay and giving up 5th rounder is not a small matter regardless of cap space..

.. on the other hand its a good 2018 deal and I guess this is what they're really weighing since as UFA he would likely demand much more..

How good is he in terms of blocking? We need a RB that can block on play action, otherwise Brady will be on the turf very fast.

How good is he in terms of blocking? We need a RB that can block on play action, otherwise Brady will be on the turf very fast.
The RB doesn't really block on play action he takes the fake. Typically after the fact he runs a route.

He can pick up the blitz just fine. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that it's one of his strengths.

Edit: if that is what you were asking, of course.

If he signs Burkhead becomes our back up (salary wise) and he is making what a bit over 3 million. Patriots devote a lot more resources to their pass catchers, qb and tackles than the Bills so I could see the Bills paying 1 million more than us for a backup RB.

I really do like this signing having watched him beat up on us and hope it works out.

Think Long Distance point on new regime usually wanting picks and cap space is a good one.

"Michael Lombardi‏Verified account @mlombardiNFL Apr 21
KC currently has 49 of their 16 53 man roster on their team heading into the draft, meanwhile, the Bills have the lowest 34. Avg is 42.6"

That's really low (34). That means their published cap number is very misleading, or so it seems (the 51 they list have 17 players with a smaller chance of actually being on the 51 at TC).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes