PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots extend offer to Bills RFA RB Mike Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love all the moves but they have for now a lot of 1 yr rentals - Ealy, Burk, Cooks - I know he has the 5th yar option - So they really need better picks IMO. How many 6th round picks are still there ( don't use Brady please)?
for the past couple of years one frequent comment during the offseason was criticizing BB for not going "all in" to maximize TB's last few years.

Looks like BB is going all in for next year.

Also, I think there's another dimension involved. Belichick starts every training camp with a very flexible depth chart. Never know what injuries will strike, what players will make bad life choices (Brandon Spikes, anyone?). I honestly believe that Bill doesn't care how much roster churn he experiences from year to year. He just makes the best of whatever he has. Maybe there are lots of one year rentals, some will re-sign, some will be replaced, the machine keeps running no matter what.

I was watching some game footage of him a couple of days ago. He hits the hole hard and fast.

That's what she said. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I really like the idea of Gillislee and Burkhead sharing the role of lead back, they both run really hard. Still confused by the ONE year deal given to Burkhead, what if he proves himself, he's gonna cost more than the 3.15 mill if he does. But if each guy runs for 500-700 yards each, I'd be thrilled.

Belichick is just renewing this particular Lease.
Last year, it was Hogan.
This year, however it ends up, it's Gillislee.
BB gets to live for another year, Rent-free, in the heads of the Bills and their fans.

He already owns an irrevocable, lifetime Lease, in the heads of Jets Nation.
In February, he took out a lifetime Lease in the heads of the Falcons.

The Bills should move to Pawtucket.

for the past couple of years one frequent comment during the offseason was criticizing BB for not going "all in" to maximize TB's last few years.

Looks like BB is going all in for next year.

Also, I think there's another dimension involved. Belichick starts every training camp with a very flexible depth chart. Never know what injuries will strike, what players will make bad life choices (Brandon Spikes, anyone?). I honestly believe that Bill doesn't care how much roster churn he experiences from year to year. He just makes the best of whatever he has. Maybe there are lots of one year rentals, some will re-sign, some will be replaced, the machine keeps running no matter what.

One year rentals are com picks too. I don't mind at all. But i am just saying that we have 3 good backs - White, Burk and Gillis possible - and Lewis. If we can trade him to add a good pick - 4/5th round i would like that.

So when would we know if we got him or not? Sorry can't scroll back through the pages thanks.

So when would we know if we got him or not? Sorry can't scroll back through the pages thanks.
I believe it's by Sunday. But I think it's 90% Bills don't match.

I believe it's by Sunday. But I think it's 90% Bills don't match.

After thinking about it I can't see them giving a back-up that much $$$$ BB is sneaky bastard. Also Mike Gillislee would bring home run hitter Potential at or RB position you can see that on tape. Mike Gillislee would be a nice complement to Dion Lewis both have between the Tackles running ability.

Gotta say that a combination of Gillislee, Lewis, Burkhead and White is a heck of a nasty combo. I just hope they can keep Foster on the PS... though they paid him handsomely to stay on the PS last year, and Foster openly stated to other teams that he did not want anyone to try to sign him to their active roster, so I believe he intends to stay in NE and keep developing. Considering Lewis is a UFA next year, and Burkhead is a 1 year deal, Foster may very well work his way onto the active roster in 2018 if he can bulk up some.

Gotta say that a combination of Gillislee, Lewis, Burkhead and White is a heck of a nasty combo. I just hope they can keep Foster on the PS... though they paid him handsomely to stay on the PS last year, and Foster openly stated to other teams that he did not want anyone to try to sign him to their active roster, so I believe he intends to stay in NE and keep developing. Considering Lewis is a UFA next year, and Burkhead is a 1 year deal, Foster may very well work his way onto the active roster in 2018 if he can bulk up some.
Potentially the best backfield since 2004.

2012, 1985 were also good years.

I think we know on Monday if Gill is a Patriot or a Bill.......

If it takes that long for the Bills to officially respond, they are just playing games. They probable decided within 24-48 hours of learning what the Pats offered. The most recent RFA offer was decided very quickly, within 2 days, I believe (Seattle declined to match Niners' offer for their OT). It also only took the Bills 48 hrs to match the Rams' offer to their backup center Groy. I suspect that the difference this time is that it is the Pats. I don't blame the Bills but I doubt that they are still agonizing over the decision.

If it takes that long for the Bills to officially respond, they are just playing games. They probable decided within 24-48 hours of learning what the Pats offered. The most recent RFA offer was decided very quickly, within 2 days, I believe (Seattle declined to match Niners' offer for their OT). It also only took the Bills 48 hrs to match the Rams' offer to their backup center Groy. I suspect that the difference this time is that it is the Pats. I don't blame the Bills but I doubt that they are still agonizing over the decision.
I think they've decided what to do but that does not mean they know what they are doing.

Reiss thinks that they will match the offer, although it doesn't seem as though this is based upon any inside information.

Unlike with Chris Hogan, Patriots forced to wait on Mike Gillislee call

For those who don't want to give ESPN any clicks:

"I've wondered if the Bills delaying the decision is an indication of their intention to match the offer to Gillislee, but obviously don't know that for sure. I've also wondered if having Hogan stolen away from them might also influence their decision-making with Gillislee.

So from a gut-feeling perspective, I probably lean slightly more in the direction that Buffalo might be more inclined to match.

Then again, one informed opinion in Buffalo pointed out that the Bills have just six draft picks and by not matching the offer, they would pick up a seventh, which could be appealing to them."

Last edited:
Roto: The Bills immediately bowed out when Chris Hogan signed an offer sheet with New England last offseason, but that hasn't happened this time around. ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss says his "gut feeling" is that Buffalo will match the offer, though he expects the Bills to "take this right up to the deadline." The Bills would net a fifth-round pick if Gillislee winds up in Foxboro.

Don't get your hopes up yet, guys. Reiss thinks the bills may match.

The Bills are idiots if they match. They don't need him. They have McCoy and Williams still. They only have $9 million in cap space left. They need at least a couple million for their draft class, maybe more. So then that's $7m left, and they're gonna pay $4m of that for a backup RB they don't need? When they could instead take the cap relief provided by losing him to get more breathing room, plus get an extra fifth round pick...

They're a rebuilding team. Rebuilding teams don't need to pay their backup RB $4m when they only have $7m to spend. Rebuilding teams need cap space and draft picks.

But it's Buffalo so who knows.

I ALMOST feel bad for the Bills. They have been putting talented rosters together since 2008 imo and they just can't get it to translate to wins and they struggle to hold on to budding superstars ex beast mode, byrd etc.

I guess they get what they deserve after hiring Rex who did little for their offense and started to ruin their borderline elite defense.

I feel like we should of offered more money if they match.
On to Carlos Hyde

Gill would be a great addition to Pats backfield......IMHO

Hope Bills take the draft pick.....I have a feeling Pats are going to get #32 back for Butler to NO.......just a hunch....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back