PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots extend offer to Bills RFA RB Mike Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick is just renewing this particular Lease.
Last year, it was Hogan.
This year, however it ends up, it's Gillislee.
BB gets to live for another year, Rent-free, in the heads of the Bills and their fans.

He already owns an irrevocable, lifetime Lease, in the heads of Jets Nation.
In February, he took out a lifetime Lease in the heads of the Falcons.

He is an FA next year.

It's still uncertain if he can make it all the way back let alone stay healthy.

I have no doubt Dion Lewis will be a Beast in 2017 back to his 2015 form also he adds value in the Return Game.:cool: Pats 2017 Roster is Stacked alot of interchangeable parts.

I love all the moves but they have for now a lot of 1 yr rentals - Ealy, Burk, Cooks - I know he has the 5th yar option - So they really need better picks IMO. How many 6th round picks are still there ( don't use Brady please)?

Look at the team as a whole..
1st rounders (5)- Solder, Hightower, McCourty, Brown, Chung
2nd rounders (5)- R. Gronkowski, Garoppolo, Richards, Thuney, C. Jones
3rd rounders (4)- Brissett, Valentine, Grissom, Harmon
4th rounders (6)- Mitchell, Flowers, Mason, White, Fleming, Gostkowski
5th rounders (5)- Cardona, Cannon, Slater
6th rounders (4)- Roberts, Karras, Ebner, Brady
7th rounders (2) - Lucien, Edelman

UDFA (9)- Butler, R. Allen, D. Andrews, Bolden, Bates, Foster, Hamilton, J. Jones, B. King,

FA / Trade (26)- Ealy, Burkhead, Cooks, Amendola, Hogan, D. Allen, Branch, Coleman, Douglas, Farris, Develin, Freeny, Gilmore, G. Gronkowski, Guy, Housler, Kilgo, Lengel, Lewis, McClellin, Ninkovich, Rowe, Van Noy, Waddle, M. Williams, Barker

Only 31 of the 66 players currently on the roster are BB draft picks.. 9 are UDFAs. 26 were acquired via trade, free agency, or as "street" free agents. I didn't include Gillislee because of the chance that Buffalo would match.

There are currently 66 players signed. 67 including Gillislee. That leaves 23-24 roster spots for them to fill between now and the start of TC. Some will be draft picks. Most will be UDFA.

But realize something. This team is returning most of it's players from the SB team. And the ones it's not, it has replaced (Logan Ryan) or will likely replace during the draft (Chris Long).

The 39 players in bold are the ones who I believe are locks at this point. I didn't include Garoppolo because of the potential he still may be traded.

There are players like Lewis, Develin, Lengel, Freeny, Coleman, Fleming, Karras, C. Jones, Grissom, Waddle and Bolden who are likely to make the team, but may not depending on the players the Patriots add.. So there really are very few spots open for draft picks to make this team.. If all those guys made the team, you'd have 3 spaces for 8 draft picks and 15 UDFA to fight for.. And that is only if Gillislee's offer is matched. If it's not, then it drops.

I have no doubt Dion Lewis will be a Beast in 2017 back to his 2015 form also he adds value in the Return Game.:cool: Pats 2017 Roster is Stacked alot of interchangeable parts.
For 7 games in 2015 Dion was a monster.

Nothing would please me more if he got back to that level.

Sucks his durability is such a concern

Dang, Gillislee makes Blount, Ridley, & BJGE look like snails. We haven't had a main RB with speed in quite some time.

Gillislee's 40 time was 4.55. Very good, not great. He would have been 14th at the 2017 Combine. James White ran a 4.57. Ridley ran a 4.66.

There's an interesting Q&A between a Pats and Bills reporter. The columnist from Buffalo gives his perspective on Gillislee, Hogan and Gilmore.

New England Patriots keep taking players from Buffalo Bills: Q&A with Bills beat writer Matthew Fairburn of NYup.com

Mike Gillislee's numbers from 2016 speak for themselves. He was able to generate 5.7 yards per carry on 101 carries and found the end zone nine times. He has the necessary power to perform in short-yardage situations, but Gillislee's speed was evident on the numerous long gains he ripped off. He also doesn't have much mileage on his tires with only 154 career carries. The best could be in front of him.​

UDFA (9)- Butler, R. Allen, D. Andrews, Bolden, Bates, Foster, Hamilton, J. Jones, B. King,

FA / Trade (26)- Ealy, Burkhead, Cooks, Amendola, Hogan, D. Allen, Branch, Coleman, Douglas, Farris, Develin, Freeny, Gilmore, G. Gronkowski, Guy, Housler, Kilgo, Lengel, Lewis, McClellin, Ninkovich, Rowe, Van Noy, Waddle, M. Williams, Barker

Only 31 of the 66 players currently on the roster are BB draft picks.. 9 are UDFAs. 26 were acquired via trade, free agency, or as "street" free agents. I didn't include Gillislee because of the chance that Buffalo would match.

There are currently 66 players signed. 67 including Gillislee. That leaves 23-24 roster spots for them to fill between now and the start of TC. Some will be draft picks. Most will be UDFA.

But realize something. This team is returning most of it's players from the SB team. And the ones it's not, it has replaced (Logan Ryan) or will likely replace during the draft (Chris Long).

The 39 players in bold are the ones who I believe are locks at this point. I didn't include Garoppolo because of the potential he still may be traded.

There are players like Lewis, Develin, Lengel, Freeny, Coleman, Fleming, Karras, C. Jones, Grissom, Waddle and Bolden who are likely to make the team, but may not depending on the players the Patriots add.. So there really are very few spots open for draft picks to make this team.. If all those guys made the team, you'd have 3 spaces for 8 draft picks and 15 UDFA to fight for.. And that is only if Gillislee's offer is matched. If it's not, then it drops.

Great post, very interesting.

.....As a minor nitpick, I believe that Thuney was a third round draft choice, 78th overall. However, that is doubtlessly missing the forest by focusing on one tree, again, great post.

There's an interesting Q&A between a Pats and Bills reporter. The columnist from Buffalo gives his perspective on Gillislee, Hogan and Gilmore.

New England Patriots keep taking players from Buffalo Bills: Q&A with Bills beat writer Matthew Fairburn of NYup.com

Mike Gillislee's numbers from 2016 speak for themselves. He was able to generate 5.7 yards per carry on 101 carries and found the end zone nine times. He has the necessary power to perform in short-yardage situations, but Gillislee's speed was evident on the numerous long gains he ripped off. He also doesn't have much mileage on his tires with only 154 career carries. The best could be in front of him.​
You wonder why the Buffalo Bills have not qualified for the AFC Playoffs since 1999.

I think we need to go back to treating him like the fumbling Ridley that he is.

Fantastic post. Thanks.

Gillislee's 40 time was 4.55. Very good, not great. He would have been 14th at the 2017 Combine. James White ran a 4.57. Ridley ran a 4.66.

Weird. His game speed looks way faster than that.

Not weird how many players look great in pads but average in shorts

Like this guy a lot! Hope on Monday we find out he's a Patriot. He ran a 4.55 and a 4.50 40 at NFL combine. Here are some highlights from his Florida days. Great looking back. I also like his number in college (#23) better than his number at Buffalo (#35).

Like this guy a lot! Hope on Monday we find out he's a Patriot. He ran a 4.55 and a 4.50 40 at NFL combine. Here are some highlights from his Florida days. Great looking back. I also like his number in college (#23) better than his number at Buffalo (#35).

I was watching some game footage of him a couple of days ago. He hits the hole hard and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back