PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots extend offer to Bills RFA RB Mike Gillislee

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for Rex Burkhead having the starting tailback position locked up. The Bolden re-signing is all the more puzzling now.

There is nothing puzzling about it. It is a one year, minimum deal which can be translated to there will most probably not be enough space on the 53 for you after TC, unless a core special teamer or RB gets injured.

I just went thru all the pages on the Bills forum.
Hillarious
One guy said take Bradys Knee out.
Best comment was I wish the Patriots traded their 6th round pick in 2000 for our backup RB.

Twobillsdrive.com?

I really admire the passion of Bills fans as there are currently 967 replies to the Pats make Gillislee an offer thread.

In a earlier thread last week when he paid the Pats a visit Bills posters were very complimentary and he was fondly known as Touchdown Mike.

McCoy is turning 29 and will be in the 3rd year of a 5 year $40 million contract is there any chance Bills try to get him to restructure since RB market is depressed so as to keep 26yr old Gillislee?

If the Bill match Pats offer will that lead to Blount signing a contract at BB's price?

Is it fair to guess that Blount was asking for more than $4 million for 2017?

Hard to see Buffalo NOT matching his offer if only for the PR consequences. After seeing Hogan, Gilmore, Branch, etc, have such success here, it might just be too much for Bills fans to see another guy leave and have success here.

So while the right deal on a purely football basis would be to grab the the draft pick and save the cap space, it might be too hard to watch another guy go south to the Pats in such a short period of time.

Like mentioned before & to sum it up - it is indeed hard to see Bills matching.

1. They currently have 9.3M in cap space w 72 players signed. It will take some 5M cap to sign their draft picks (more if they want to take QB or trade up). They'll need to find some more money to get them through the season (and I don't think there's much fat to cut for them). They are suffocated by their cap situation for years now . and they still have to find their franchise QB answer among many other things.

2. From a PR standpoint (the least of their worries right now) it will be much more difficult to defend 4M for Gillislee in 2017 when they could easily have him for 2.7 or the 2nd round pick..

Is it fair to guess that Blount was asking for more than $4 million for 2017?
If he was, it would explain why they're so far apart. Blount made less than half that last season, and has seen his YPC average dip in each of the past 4 seasons. I wouldn't expect the Patriots to be offering much more than last year, myself.

I think Lewis brings a very different element to their offense. And how could you get rid of a guy who has never lost a game as a Patriot?

They just extended White. I think Butler and Lewis to NO ... Spoiler alert... And we bring Jason + 3 picks from NO

They just extended White. I think Butler and Lewis to NO ... Spoiler alert... And we bring Jason + 3 picks from NO
Lewis cost only 1.2 mill this season and is still a far better runner than White. Why would we just give him away for no reason?

Bills match offer

"Wow, can't believe they are stuck with him for that price. I wanted him, but not at that cost. Besides, this drafted is loaded with RB talent."
Lol if we sign him people will probably count him as an extra draft pick.

Lewis cost only 1.2 mill this season and is still a far better runner than White. Why would we just give him away for no reason?

3 reasons why:

1- They need picks
2 - All RB's except for White are FA's next year
3 - The RB class is deep

When is the deadline to match? Tomorrow?

When is the deadline to match? Tomorrow?

It looks like buffalo has 5 days to match, which would be the 23rd if it's calendar days, the 25th if it's business days.

Exactly.

Could they use them? Certainly.

Do they NEED them? Not this year.

They used their picks on young up and coming players.....they also have a ton of cap space. The draft isn't a big deal this year.

With all these RBs...do you think they expect to lose Lewis in the coming years? Is his contract up after this year or next

Just so that I can be sure of your position:

The Patriots re-signed Bolden on April 5. Is it your expectation that they will cut him later this offseason, despite that?

There is that potential if he can't out-work Burkhead on Special Teams.

With all these RBs...do you think they expect to lose Lewis in the coming years? Is his contract up after this year or next
He is an FA next year.

It's still uncertain if he can make it all the way back let alone stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back