PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
We disagree. I see Calhoun as a fine replacement for McClellan or Humber.
Just to revisit this mg. Humber and McClellan are 230 lb interior lbs. Calhoun is a 260 edge player.
The reason that bb keeps special teams only players is that they have a skill set and size/speed makeup that us different than regular offensive or defensive positions.
Most of his st only players over the years for that mold.
Calhoun doesn’t and at 260 lbs he won’t be playing the role a 230 lb linebacker did.

Hoyer, Burkhead, Slater, and Ebner are all vested veterans in the last year of their deals, so it would be a simple transaction to release them today only to resign them tomorrow after 1 pm. That would allow the Patriots to hold off putting some injured or ill players on the IR or NFI list until tomorrow making it possible for them to return later in the season.

Of course, they could only activate two players, but they’ll have some flexibility as to which two they activate depending on their roster needs at the time. Andrews, Froholdt, Calhoun, Rivers, LaCosse and Harry are the players I see as most likely to find their way onto the IR this way.

Hoyer, Burkhead, Slater, and Ebner are all vested veterans in the last year of their deals, so it would be a simple transaction to release them today only to resign them tomorrow after 1 pm. That would allow the Patriots to hold off putting some injured or ill players on the IR or NFI list until tomorrow making it possible for them to return later in the season.

Of course, they could only activate two players, but they’ll have some flexibility as to which two they activate depending on their roster needs at the time. Andrews, Froholdt, Calhoun, Rivers, LaCosse and Harry are the players I see as most likely to find their way onto the IR this way.
Agree with all of this except I hope Harry is ready and not on the shelf.

Couldn’t they also cut Brady and bring him back? That’d be funny.

The reaction from Skip Bayless will be priceless to see.

Sad to hear about Berrios but our depth at wr is sick, hopefully he sneaks onto the ps.

Not without accelerating his dead money in future years

No, Calhoun won't be playing the TEN, repeat TEN, reps at LB than McClellan and Humber played last year on defense (in total). Someone else will pick up those TEN reps.
====
We NEED STers. I focused on Humber and Mcclellan who totaled 228 ST reps.

As an aside Grigsby totaled more, but I didd't want to complicate the issues. I presume that Bentley and Winovich will pick up those reps (although obviously it doesn't matter who picks up whose reps).

Just to revisit this mg. Humber and McClellan are 230 lb interior lbs. Calhoun is a 260 edge player.
The reason that bb keeps special teams only players is that they have a skill set and size/speed makeup that us different than regular offensive or defensive positions.
Most of his st only players over the years for that mold.
Calhoun doesn’t and at 260 lbs he won’t be playing the role a 230 lb linebacker did.

After Friday’s trades and reported cuts, this is where the Patriots stand in their cutdown to 53. The Patriots currently have 78 players on the roster. Watson and Kendrick are facing suspension reducing that number to 76 meaning 23 additional players must be cut, traded, or designated to an injury/illness list by 4 pm today. The following is a list of players still on the roster by position:

QB (3)- Brady, Stidham, Hoyer

RB (8)- Michel, White, Harris, Bolden, Develin, Burkhead, Brossette, Johnson

TE (4 ) - Izzo, LaCosse, Saubert, Anderson

WR (9)- Edelman, Gordon, Thomas, Dorsett, Harry, Meyers, Slater, Olszewski, Meredith
Cut-Berrios
OL (14)- Thuney, Mason, Cannon, Wynn, Karras, Eluemunor, Cunningham, Bodine, Andrews, Froholdt, Skipper, Ferentz, Croston, Cajuste

DL (8)- Bennett, Guy, Shelton, Butler, Cowart, Wise, Kamalu, Thurman

Edge (6 )- Winovich, Simon, Calhoun, Rivers, Harris, Wright

LB (7)- Hightower, Van Noy, Collins, Bentley, Roberts, Munson, Hall

CB (7 )- Gilmore, McCourty, Jones, Jackson, Williams, Crossen, Webster

S (7)- McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Brooks, Ebner, Melifonwu, Gant

ST (3)- Gostkowski, Bailey, Cardona

Injured Reserve - Ross, Davis, King
PUP -
NFI -

My plan is to update this post as transactions are reported on Saturday. Updated for:
Released: Berrios

Meredith is currently on the pup. Cajuste is currently on NFI.

Johnson doesn't count against the roster.

Calvin Munson cut according to Howe. There goes people's binky.

CB Duke Dawson (traded)
TE/FB Andrew Beck
OL Tyree St. Louis
OT Cedrick Lang
DT David Parry
WR Ryan Davis
S A.J. Howard
OL Tyler Gauthier
LB Christian Sam
OL Martez Ivey
WR Damoun Patterson
WR Braxton Berrios
TE Stephen Anderson
TE Eric Saubert
DL Ufomba Kamalu
LB Calvin Munson

And who is left:

Total: 70 on roster
17 left to cut.

QB (3)
Tom Brady,
Jarrett Stidham
Brian Hoyer

RB (8)
Sony Michel
James White
Damien Harris
Brandon Bolden
James Develin
Rex Burkhead
Nick Brossette
Jakob Johnson

TE (2)
Ryan Izzo
Matt LaCosse

WR (8)
Julian Edelman
Josh Gordon
Demaryius Thomas
Philip Dorsett
N'Keal Harry
Jakobi Meyers
Matthew Slater
Gunner Olszewski

OL (13)
Joe Thuney
Shaq Mason
Marcus Cannon
Isaiah Wynn
Ted Karras
Jermaine Eluemunor
Korey Cunningham
Russell Bodine
David Andrews
Hjalte Froholdt
Dan Skipper
James Ferentz
Cole Croston

DL (7)
Michael Bennett
Lawrence Guy
Danny Shelton
Adam Butler
Byron Cowart
Deatrich Wise
Nick Thurman

Edge (6 )
Chase Winovich
John Simon
Shilique Calhoun
Derek Rivers
Trent Harris
Scooby Wright

LB (6)
Dont'a Hightower
Kyle Van Noy
Jamie Collins
Ja'Whaun Bentley
Elandon Roberts
Terez Hall

CB (7 )
Gilmore
Jason McCourty
Jonathan Jones
JC Jackson
Joejuan Williams
Keion Crossen
Ken Webster

S (7)
Devin McCourty
Patrick Chung
Duron Harmon
Terrence Brooks
Nate Ebner
Obi Melifonwu
Malik Gant

ST (3)
Stephen Gostkowski
Jake Bailey
Joe Cardona

NFI & PUP
Cameron Meredith
Yodny Cajuste

Moosekill and others have suggested that Jakob Johnson is on practice squad, but it has not been announced and all the beat writers have left him on the roster so I'm going with them.

Last edited:

I don't like this

Harry will not be put on IR if he is thought to be ready to play in a few weeks. He needs to practice with the team.

Agree with all of this except I hope Harry is ready and not on the shelf.

I know they play different position but could the biggest benefactor of Munson’s release be Obi Melifonwu who would assume most of Brandon King’s ST duties?

No, Calhoun won't be playing the TEN, repeat TEN, reps at LB than McClellan and Humber played last year on defense (in total). Someone else will pick up those TEN reps.
====
We NEED STers. I focused on Humber and Mcclellan who totaled 228 ST reps.

As an aside Grigsby totaled more, but I didd't want to complicate the issues. I presume that Bentley and Winovich will pick up those reps (although obviously it doesn't matter who picks up whose reps).
You are missing my point. I’m not talking about the lb snaps I am talking about the st snaps.
Calhoun is a different player with a different skill set than those guys.
It’s like saying we lost an ol who played 200 star snaps so a safety can do that.
St isn’t non-positional. A 260 lb isn’t running the same positions as a 230 lb guy.

Hey if BB hadn't cut Bernie Kosar he might never had joined the Pats.
Did you laugh or cringe when an old lady asked do you have any light reading? Airplane stewardess Julie replied, how about this leaflet famous Jewish sports legends.
That was the "Very thin book of Jewish Football players". Back in the day I almost made my way into it. Instead I had to settle for the "Even thinner book of Jewish coaches in the Catholic Conference".

Last edited:
fair enough

If Calhoun can't help in replacing the 3 we lost on ST's, then we need to pick up a special teamer.

You are missing my point. I’m not talking about the lb snaps I am talking about the st snaps.
Calhoun is a different player with a different skill set than those guys.
It’s like saying we lost an ol who played 200 star snaps so a safety can do that.
St isn’t non-positional. A 260 lb isn’t running the same positions as a 230 lb guy.

I think Hoyer gets cut and return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back