PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots cutdown thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Pats started the day with 77 players after releasing Sanu and waiving DE Barnett and CB Michael Jackson with injury designations.

Reminder: anyone who goes on IR today is done for the season.

And the first quasi-surprise: the Pats plan to release WR Jeff Thomas.

OL Ben Braden and TE Paul Butler released.

Jeff Thomas hasn't shown much in camp but that kind of speed is worth keeping. I hope Belichick tries to get him onto the PS instead of outright releasing him.

Jeff Thomas hasn't shown much in camp but that kind of speed is worth keeping. I hope Belichick tries to get him onto the PS instead of outright releasing him.

I think it's stupid we have to release them to put them on the practice squad

And the first quasi-surprise: the Pats plan to release WR Jeff Thomas.

Is there a planned reason for staggering the times of Pats cuts?

When does Jeff Thomas for example officially go on the 48 hour waiver clock, when the NFL clerk types it in the system?

If Thomas was registered at 10am will he clear waivers potentially 6 hours before others who are released at the 4 pm deadline?

If so, is that seen to be a advantage in trying to sneak a player through waivers?

They have to be at 53 by 4 PM today. The waiver clock, 24 hours(ish), starts then.

In the past, we’ve gotten word of players claimed and players re-signed to the practice squad starting just after noon, so I’m thinking the waiver period is shorter than 24 hours at least in this case.

Usually we can expect at least one surprise cut, although I'm wondering if Sanu is our one surprise cut this year.

Adrian Phillips could be a surprise cut! Or he could join others like Meyers, allen, hall on injures reserve. Isn’t there a three game ir this year?

Adrian Phillips could be a surprise cut! Or he could join others like Meyers, allen, hall on injures reserve. Isn’t there a three game ir this year?

Yes but you have to go on the 53 man roster first.

I think it's stupid we have to release them to put them on the practice squad
It’s something the players wanted. Why be forced to make the “peanuts” of a practice squad player’s salary and not play in any games, if another team is willing to give them an actual roster spot complete with a much higher salary and a chance to actually play?

It’s something the players wanted. Why be forced to make the “peanuts” of a practice squad player’s salary and not play in any games, if another team is willing to give them an actual roster spot complete with a much higher salary and a chance to actually play?

They can be signed off the practice squad with the same result. What is the difference?

Putting people on the 53 and then moving them to IR so you can resign guys let go a few days prior seems silly too.

In the end it will all work out the same - either take the straight forward path to the end result or some contorted path decided by committee. It is what it is.

More on Miller:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing