PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots cutdown thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The average number of waiver claims was 41 on the Sunday after the rosters were reduced to 53. This year it was 17. There are no games to gauge player ability, so fewer claims.

The 49ers, Ravens, Bucs and Cowboys all had no one claimed as far as I can tell. :rolleyes:
Useful.

Happy 4 u!..Now stay healthy & make QBs cry Rivers..

Interesting (yet pretty obvious) observations from Tom Curran:

And:

Ref: Curran: Do Pats fans have the stomach for rebuild?
Seems like there's gonna be a lot of butt-clenching moments in the 2020-1 season for us.

I agree with Curran about Bentley and he might be right about the talent level on the team even though that I don't necessarily agree with that. But I think he is misleading in his take about why nobody was claimed this year. To me this has much more to do with the fact that there were no joint practices, no preseason games and only very limited media access to the public practice portions.

This year nobody knows anything about your fringe players or diamonds in the rough except your own team.

And this is pretty obvious when you look at the league wide trends:

Again, he might end up being right about the talent on the team but the way he got there and the indicator he decided to highlight (i.e. UDFAs lost to claims) is not particularly sound.

I agree with Curran about Bentley and he might be right about the talent level on the team even though that I don't necessarily agree with that. But I think he is misleading in his take about why nobody was claimed this year. To me this has much more to do with the fact that there were no joint practices, no preseason games and only very limited media access to the public practice portions.

This year nobody knows anything about your fringe players or diamonds in the rough except your own team.

Again, he might end up being right about the talent on the team but the way he got there and the indicator he decided to highlight (i.e. UDFAs lost to claims) is not particularly sound.

Agreed and Curran knows that. Even BB alluded to it in last week's press conference. I can only guess that the "lousy drafting" and "bereft of talent" reporting gets more Thumbs Up from his readers. New Englanders seem to enjoy misery for some reason.

Under the 2020 PS rules Pats can have up to 6 veteran players on the practice squad.

I wonder how much teams can and will pay stashed veteran players like a Lamar Miller?

$0 if they aren't under contract. $10K a week on the Practice Squad.

Agree 1000%. Patriots are loaded with young talent on PS.
No way in a normal year they get to keep half those guys. Damn, Jeff Thomas couldnt even make the PS.
Curran is useless. Ive never seen a guy go from being so good( 15 years ago he was right there with Reiss), to so bad( hes just another hot take media clown).

I'd say in my own mind I remember a few more camp battles where a newbie had to win a spot on the team in years past. LeBlanc, KGH, Hollister, etc. Pretty quiet this year. But yeah, it could be my own memories are influenced because we didn't get any preseason games to watch.

Agreed and Curran knows that. Even BB alluded to it in last week's press conference. I can only guess that the "lousy drafting" and "bereft of talent" reporting gets more Thumbs Up from his readers. New Englanders seem to enjoy misery for some reason.
I think Curran has been playing to the "misery loves company" crowd more in recent times than in days long gone. You can often hear a degree of regret in his voice on some of his podcast or TV spots, and sometimes a pretty direct admission that he's throwing out hawt takez because that's what pays the bills.

To be fair, in the piece I quoted he said "That’s because the roster – thanks in part to opt-outs but also their subpar drafting over the past few years – isn’t loaded to the gills with talent." so he did pull his punches a bit.

I think his take on LB is pretty on target. I remember how bad we were up the middle the last time Hightower was injured. I think the opt-outs really did catch the team in a bad way. I think we would have tried harder to keep or acquire LB talent if we knew HT was going to opt out, but of course at the time of free agency and the draft this was not known.

I think his take on LB is pretty on target. I remember how bad we were up the middle the last time Hightower was injured. I think the opt-outs really did catch the team in a bad way. I think we would have tried harder to keep or acquire LB talent if we knew HT was going to opt out, but of course at the time of free agency and the draft this was not known.

Agreed. I am hoping Jennings is instinctual and surprises, or Copeland who is not real fast, but big and smart, can kick inside and be serviceable. Clearly LB, inside LB IMO, is a position to watch out for. Let's hope it does not end up like TE in 2019.

I'd say in my own mind I remember a few more camp battles where a newbie had to win a spot on the team in years past. LeBlanc, KGH, Hollister, etc. Pretty quiet this year. But yeah, it could be my own memories are influenced because we didn't get any preseason games to watch.

I think Curran has been playing to the "misery loves company" crowd more in recent times than in days long gone. You can often hear a degree of regret in his voice on some of his podcast or TV spots, and sometimes a pretty direct admission that he's throwing out hawt takez because that's what pays the bills.

To be fair, in the piece I quoted he said "That’s because the roster – thanks in part to opt-outs but also their subpar drafting over the past few years – isn’t loaded to the gills with talent." so he did pull his punches a bit.

Well yeah, what Curran daid about the lbs is not rocket science. Thats a lot of quality vets being replaced by 2 rookies and a pt player. Not to mention Hightower is one of the 2 or 3 glue guys on the D.
But what he said about the PS is BS. Another Curran hot take.

I chalk it up to the Puritans and maybe a bit of the Irish gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes